People with Braids & Twists (Natural & Extentions)

Ashee

I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but I haven't had extentions in almost 3 years & the twists I just got already look like a months worth in the back.... :eek:
I remember that it took a while for the braids to simply loosen up & now it's been 1 week!! :eek: I keep checking my calendar in disbelief & I'm like "whoa"... I am contemplating taking these out a whole lot sooner than the two months I was banking on if this growth keeps on going like this... A part of me is happy & another part of me is tight... I dropped $$ for these bad boys...:nono:
I just got my Instructional DVDs on Braiding, Twists, Weaving, & Cornrows today & I might be practicing sooner than I thought...
I've been taking good care of them, taking my vitas (my Hair Thick Shake, Biotin every other day or two, & my N-A-C).
Has anyone else found that their hairstyles aren't lasting as long as they used to before the boards?? :confused:

My braids and twists haven't last long since I becaue natural. I have noticed a increase in growth since I have been getting tips and trying different products from being a part of hair boards. The new info has opened my eyes to different options with my hair. :)

The last time I got braids (more than a year ago) I took them out after only a month because the ends of the braids were close to an inch from the roots of my hair (and this was in winter). I was happy about the growth but I felt as though I hadn't gotten my money's worth from it. I am going to get braids again this summer but I am not going to spend a lot on an expensive style because my hair grows fast during the summer. So that combined with the M-T-G that I am going to start when I put in the braids could lead to me taking it out sooner than the two months I am planning on.

I have one of those braiding dvd/video bookmarked. Maybe someday I'll take the plunge.

Thanks for the responses ladies!!
:clap:
It seems that LHCF is both a blessing & a curse!:lol:
I'm just glad that it's not just me....

The last time I got braids, the braids were not tight in the beginning because of the fact that my hair is natural. My hair stylist told me that when your hair is natural and gets braided, your natural hair provides a little cushion, which makes the braids feel less tight on your scalp and also makes them loosen sooner than they usually would. I had to take my braids out earlier than I usually would because of this too.

Can u please tell me the name of the braid vid u brought? I'm looking for a braid instruction dvd that is easy to learn. :grin:

Funny. I had a similar experience with my braids the last time I got them. I took them out not because of the growth but because it was too small and tight. I am totally with you on this Ashee. I am actually in a newly braided style and I feel like I have a small child attached to my head. I had extension put it on my thick hair and I am about to take them out as well.Goes to show that not all things can be applied to you from this forum.

mscounselor said:
Funny. I had a similar experience with my braids the last time I got them. I took them out not because of the growth but because it was too small and tight. I am totally with you on this Ashee. I am actually in a newly braided style and I feel like I have a small child attached to my head. I had extension put it on my thick hair and I am about to take them out as well.Goes to show that not all things can be applied to you from this forum.
I think instead of regular braids, I'm going to bite the bullet & try cornrows...
I just feel like I cannot change up cornrows like I can individual braids/twists but at this rate I might be better off with the cornrows... :look:

Ashee said:
I think instead of regular braids, I'm going to bite the bullet & try cornrows...
I just feel like I cannot change up cornrows like I can individual braids/twists but at this rate I might be better off with the cornrows... :look:
Ashee...I was thinking of the same thing....its not as heavy, less manipulation, and if you don't like it, it doesn't take half a day to take out. Either that or just braid my hair bigger without the extensions.
Good Luck to you :antlers:

mscounselor said:
Ashee...I was thinking of the same thing....its not as heavy, less manipulation, and if you don't like it, it doesn't take half a day to take out. Either that or just braid my hair bigger without the extensions.
Good Luck to you :antlers:
Thanks Mscounselor! I'll take pictures once I get down to business! :p

Oh yeah, I definitely have this problem. Last year I was drinking carrot juice and taking vitamins and my braids, which usually last 3 months, only lasted 6 weeks. Now I'm using Surge, MTG, and taking vitamins and my braids start looking old at about the 3 week mark. Getting my braids re-done every 2 months instead of 3 is starting to get kind of expensive (especially since I intend to wear braid until the end of 2005). So, I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and look rough. From now on after I get a lot of new growth I'll start covering it up with headbands and scarves. Maybe that will help me make it to 3 months.

prettykinks said:
My braids and twists haven't last long since I becaue natural. I have noticed a increase in growth since I have been getting tips and trying different products from being a part of hair boards. The new info has opened my eyes to different options with my hair. :)

Same here. I had a combo micro corn rows and sew in and it only lasted 3 weeks!The only braids that I've had since being natural that lasted were kinky senegalese. They lasted a whole 2 months. I was very shocked and happy because they cost almost $200.

Phoenix said:
Oh yeah, I definitely have this problem. Last year I was drinking carrot juice and taking vitamins and my braids, which usually last 3 months, only lasted 6 weeks. Now I'm using Surge, MTG, and taking vitamins and my braids start looking old at about the 3 week mark. Getting my braids re-done every 2 months instead of 3 is starting to get kind of expensive (especially since I intend to wear braid until the end of 2005). So, I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and look rough. From now on after I get a lot of new growth I'll start covering it up with headbands and scarves. Maybe that will help me make it to 3 months.
I actually was on a hunt for some scarves last week:lol: I keep my hair pulled back gently, trying to come up with some more styles... I'm trying buns & all with my braids!!
:)
I have a party to hit by the end of the month & my high school reunion... I'm going to have to turn into Mrs. Houdini in this piece!!:lol:

Back