People still will not believe

KathyMay

that your hair can grow past its NORMAL length. I was on the phone with my sis in law and her friend and we were of course talking about hair and they said that your hair will not GROW once its reaches a certain length. BS I told them , why do you think I am on LHCF all the time and going to the hair meetings. I told them that so many ladies on this board have hair that has grown past their bra strap still they werent believing. I guess now I have to show them actually proof with my own hair and bring them along to the hair meetings to see the real deal. Anyone else trying to convince their friends the same thing?

I had a problem understanding the concept of your hair only growing to a certain length too. But I now understand it from explanations given to me in “The Great Debate: Genes and Hair Growth” thread…

Here was my initial question:
Poohbear said:
I don't get this "programmed to grow" concept...

For ladies (especially relaxed ladies)... if your hair is programmed to grow a certain length, wouldn't it stop growing???

When you see new growth, don't you still apply relaxers?

It may seem like your hair is staying the same length but don't you think that's from your hair not retaining length (breaking off)???

Here are two responses that answered my questions:

Porsche19 said:
There is a point in which your hair won't get any longer though. It's when the amount your hair grows and the rate that it sheds reaches an eqilibrium. Your hair won't grow any longer because the hairs that reach a certain length shed.

Say that someone's hair sheds every 3 years. They can grow 8 inches in a year (amazing growth btw ) So at 24 inches, their hair sheds and grows a new hair. Around 24 inches is the longest that any hair on their head is going to grow.

Of course, your hair is going to keep growing after because every hair on your head is not in the same stage, but they are still programed to shed at 3 years.

Keen said:
It does not stop growing, it sheds. How often your hair sheds (life cycle of a hair) depends on your diet and genes. However your diet can only extend your hair life cycle so long.... I think when she said "program" she was referring to growth rate

HOPE THAT HELPS!

Last edited:
KathyMay said:
that your hair can grow past its NORMAL length. I was on the phone with my sis in law and her friend and we were of course talking about hair and they said that your hair will not GROW once its reaches a certain length. BS I told them , why do you think I am on LHCF all the time and going to the hair meetings. I told them that so many ladies on this board have hair that has grown past their bra strap still they werent believing. I guess now I have to show them actually proof with my own hair and bring them along to the hair meetings to see the real deal. Anyone else trying to convince their friends the same thing?
No, I personally do not try to convince anyone of anything. The best way to change their minds is just to show them your successful results. Seeing is believing. :look:

Back