PEEVED with Alter Ego customer Service re: linange relaxer!!!

beana

Okay, so i just ordered the linange shea butter relaxer from bluebeez.com I ordered the no-lye version because i have a very sensitive scalp.

I'm reading the ingredients and they are listed as:
Water, mineral oil petrolatum, cetearyl alcohol, propylene glyco, shea butter, sodium hydroxide, polysobate 60, laneth-15, cetyl alcohol, peg (150) steerate, steareth 20, peg (60), lanolin, hydroxypropyl trimonium, vegetable protein, fragrance.

the directions also mention mixing with the activator (guanidine carbonate).. Typically no-lye is calcium or lithium hydroxide with a guanidine activator. i have never known sodium hydroxide to pass as "no-lye".

I called the customer service number provided on the label because i'm extremely wary of using this now. A woman picks up and i ask her if she has the ingredient list to their linange no lye relaxer... shes asks if i'm a professional, i say "no, but i'd like you to confirm the ingredients on the label"..

She gets an attitude "Mami, this is a salon product and only professionals know where to get this. anything you have is a fake."

I say: " Well its sealed..." she interrupts, "Well how else are they gonna make it look real?!"

I said: "Well the number provided is real because i was able to reach you."

She continues: "I'm not a lab tech or anything, all i know is that its a chemical and i wouldn't use it if i were you because you dont know whats in it."

I had to cut this convo short because my blood was starting to boil, i asked to speak to a manager and no one was "around"...:angry2: Even if she has limited knowledge about the product, i still dont think she handled the situation well at all.

Last edited:
You know most of the time they do that, tell you you have to buy from a distributor, Kerastase I'm looking at you....

Is there any other place where you can get that info? There was a member here who got beautiful results with the Linange relaxer. I want to know too.

What color is the container? The no lye is usually in a green container, and lye in blue. Did it come with an activator?..most ladies report the lye version as beeing gentle with no burning, but if you're not comfortable I would return it.

Hey Beana,

Yeah girl this happened to me the first time I purchased from bluebeez. I had to talk to about 4 freaking people just to get an answer about why there was sodium hydroxide in the no-lye. Well the no lye containers have lye lables. I made them read out the ingredients of the no lye relaxer to me just so I could know on my own. I think i wrote it down somewhere....I agree with you though....their cs dept is horrible!! I've been using their no lye relaxer since the spring. I hope this helps you.

Also the no lye has a green label and the lye has a blue label. They sent me a lye one time by accident and I gave it away on my blog.

Hey Beana,

Yeah girl this happened to me the first time I purchased from bluebeez. I had to talk to about 4 freaking people just to get an answer about why there was sodium hydroxide in the no-lye. Well the no lye containers have lye lables. I made them read out the ingredients of the no lye relaxer to me just so I could know on my own. I think i wrote it down somewhere....I agree with you though....their cs dept is horrible!! I've been using their no lye relaxer since the spring. I hope this helps you.

Also the no lye has a green label and the lye has a blue label. They sent me a lye one time by accident and I gave it away on my blog.

thanks sooooo much for your help! :grin:

If you find where you may have written the ingredients down, please let me know!!! Mine is sealed, came with a separate activator bottle, and has a green label that reads "no-lye shea butter relaxer" on the front, it even mentions mixing in the activator for the steps in the back, but the ingredients still read sodium hydroxide. This makes me incredibly uncomfortable as a consumer. Alter ego really needs to work on their labelling.

Kinda OT: I went relaxer crazy last month and ended up with Linange no-lye 7.1oz, Linange lye 15oz, and Nairobi sensitive scalp. Plus i already have phyto index 2 and ORS no-lye normal strength :blush: I think this is a sign for me to stick with phyto... all this relaxer research is giving me a headache! I'm a no-lye girl, but when i read all the reviews about how gentle and non irritating the lye linange was i caved and purchased it. The phyto works well for me and i notice i retain more length when i use it but i'm always on the look out for that next WOW relaxer that costs less.

If you find where you may have written the ingredients down, please let me know!!! Mine is sealed, came with a separate activator bottle, and has a green label that reads "no-lye shea butter relaxer" on the front, it even mentions mixing in the activator for the steps in the back, but the ingredients still read sodium hydroxide. This makes me incredibly uncomfortable as a consumer. Alter ego really needs to work on their labelling.

Kinda OT: I went relaxer crazy last month and ended up with Linange no-lye 7.1oz, Linange lye 15oz, and Nairobi sensitive scalp. Plus i already have phyto index 2 and ORS no-lye normal strength :blush: I think this is a sign for me to stick with phyto... all this relaxer research is giving me a headache! I'm a no-lye girl, but when i read all the reviews about how gentle and non irritating the lye linange was i caved and purchased it. The phyto works well for me and i notice i retain more length when i use it but i'm always on the look out for that next WOW relaxer that costs less.

Now I'm really confused because I purchased (what I thought) was the lye formula (b/c there is no activator and the label lists LYE in the ingredients in the back). Now these posts have me worried because the label is green, but some of you say the LYE has a blue label. I purchased mine from a store but I checked blue beez and some of the green labels clearly say "No-Lye" on the front and do not list Lye as an ingredient. The product that I have is green but does not say "No-Lye" like the pic in blue beez and it lists lye as an ingredient. I want to use lye (I'm making a switch) but now I don't know which one I have!

Now I'm really confused because I purchased (what I thought) was the lye formula (b/c there is no activator and the label lists LYE in the ingredients in the back). Now these posts have me worried because the label is green, but some of you say the LYE has a blue label. I purchased mine from a store but I checked blue beez and some of the green labels clearly say "No-Lye" on the front and do not list Lye as an ingredient. The product that I have is green but does not say "No-Lye" like the pic in blue beez and it lists lye as an ingredient. I want to use lye (I'm making a switch) but now I don't know which one I have!

hi!

The lye formula is package in both the green and blue label. As long as it says "lye relaxer" on the front, you have the sodium hydroxide (lye) formula.

hi!

The lye formula is package in both the green and blue label. As long as it says "lye relaxer" on the front, you have the sodium hydroxide (lye) formula.

oh i didn't know the lye was in the green label jar too! These people......

And I have to order another one for my next relaxer in a couple of weeks. I've been wanting to try the lye but I have a tender scalp! lol

Hey Beana, I'm just now seeing this! I couldn't find where I wrote it down. I really think i threw the paper away. I remember being at work when i wrote them down. :ohwell: and they do need to work on their label! and the cs dept because that's a shame!!!

hi!

Hi! Thanks. My only issue is that I notice the "No Lye" clearly says on the front "No Lye". The product that I have does not say Lye or No-Lye - just "Shea Butter Relaxer". But on the back, it lists Lye as an ingredient.

I'm thinking it IS lye since you say that the lye comes in both the blue and green labels. This was what I was beginning to think.

Hola Ladies,

Here is the ingredients in the no lye relaxer.

Cream relaxer: water, mineral oil petrolatum, cetaryl alcohol, propylene glycol, shea butter, calcium hydroxide, polysorbate 60, laneth-15, cetyl alcohol, PEG (150), stearate, steareth 20, PEG (60), lanolin, hydropropyl trimonium, vegetable protein, fragrance

Ingredient Attributes: silicone free, sulfate free, paraben free, glycerin free

Back