Paul Mitchell Salon School

THicknLong

So I made an appointment to get a rollerset at the Paul Mitchell School in Dallas.. Has anyone ever gotten there hair done at any of the schools? Im kind of scared they do not know how to do AA women hair. I will post pictures once I get home. I am looking forward to going. I am 2 1/2 months past having a relaxer and Im scared they won't know how to deal with my new growth. So I am taking my big comb just in case they try to use one of those small combs on my hair.. I am really praying I dont have to act a fool!!!

Last edited:
I haven't gotten my hair styled at one but have had my hair styled by former/ current students (just not on the facilities). Did you stress that you wanted a student who knew how to style ethnic hair? You can request an AA student from their advanced group (those closest to graduation). You can also inquire as to how many AA clients they have. Those are factors I consider before allowing my hair to be styled. The school in my area is pretty diverse and so is the clientele.
HTH

i graduated from Paul Mitchell and i have had my hair washed, colored, and styled before. the school had a very diverse clientele and the instructors are on the floor as well. there are two different groups Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 2 is the more advanced. don't go in the school requesting for AA students because you just might get turned away. it is against the school's policy to discriminate. they are there to learn, so if you want to be particular, go to a salon that can cater to your needs. (that's just keeping it 100% with you)

I haven't gotten my hair styled at one but have had my hair styled by former/ current students (just not on the facilities). Did you stress that you wanted a student who knew how to style ethnic hair? You can request an AA student from their advanced group (those closest to graduation). You can also inquire as to how many AA clients they have. Those are factors I consider before allowing my hair to be styled. The school in my area is pretty diverse and so is the clientele.
HTH

I let the gentleman know that I would perfer a phase II (what they call a student that is more skilled) then a phase I. I also told him that I am AA. So hopefully I get someone that's good. They charge a little bit extra for a phase II then a phase I. Its $8 for a phase I student to do a rollerset. Its $12 for a phase II..

i graduated from Paul Mitchell and i have had my hair washed, colored, and styled before. the school had a very diverse clientele and the instructors are on the floor as well. there are two different groups Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 2 is the more advanced. don't go in the school requesting for AA students because you just might get turned away. it is against the school's policy to discriminate. they are there to learn, so if you want to be particular, go to a salon that can cater to your needs. (that's just keeping it 100% with you)

I would never request an AA because thats just RUDE!!!.. I did request a phase II student though.. Im keeping my fingers crossed!!! i don't mind the honesty.

If they're like the Aveda Institute, just request an advanced student and you should be fine.

FWIW, I've only had black stylists and braiders come at me with that small comb. I don't know that I even see those small combs outside of black salons.

You know what? If I was nearly 3 months posts, I would think about washing my hair before hand and just coming in for the roller set (if they let you do that). That way you could detangle yourself.

If they're like the Aveda Institute, just request an advanced student and you should be fine.

FWIW, I've only had black stylists and braiders come at me with that small comb. I don't know that I even see those small combs outside of black salons.

You know what? If I was nearly 3 months posts, I would think about washing my hair before hand and just coming in for the roller set (if they let you do that). That way you could detangle yourself.

No I dont mind the washing the hair, I will just infrom whoever does it that I get alot of tangles and it would be best if they tangle with the conditioner is still in the hair.

I went to the one here in Atlanta for color a couple of times. It was about 3 years ago. I agree with everyone else do not ask for an AA, just let them know you have ethnic hair and ask for an advanced student. Both times the color turn out great, the style was horrible but they just flat ironed my hair straight no bend and no oil. So it was straight and dry looking. However, you said you were getting a rollerset. I don't see how they can mess that up.

Back