Paul Mitchell or Kerracare for Color-Treated Hair

A.Marie

I just got my color which is from the PM line, so I am wondering if I should stick with his line of products. When I had color before, I used Biolage products but think the alcohol eventually stripped my hair and made it break. On the contrary, the Biolage had my color popping. :grin: For those of you who have had success with color-treated hair, which line is best, the Paul Mitchell or the Kerracare? I have not shampooed since I got the color but want to make the right choice before investing in products. BTW, when I was non-colored, my stylist used the Kerracare line.

A couple of years ago, my stylist dyed my hair red using the CHI color line and I used CHI and PM products exclusively. My hair stayed beautiful and I never dealt with dryness or split ends. And this is before I found the board, so I was doing my "wash once a week/blowfry/flatiron" thing.

A couple of years ago, my stylist dyed my hair red using the CHI color line and I used CHI and PM products exclusively. My hair stayed beautiful and I never dealt with dryness or split ends. And this is before I found the board, so I was doing my "wash once a week/blowfry/flatiron" thing.

Thank you for replying! My last color was from the CHI/Farouk line as well.

I just called my stylist and he suggested the Kerracare line.
Did he say why.

Paul Mitchell products are great for color treated hair. They have a line to help stop the hair from fading so quickly and to give it extra moisture.

What color did your stylist use? It's really pretty.

Did he say why.

Paul Mitchell products are great for color treated hair. They have a line to help stop the hair from fading so quickly and to give it extra moisture.

What color did your stylist use? It's really pretty.

Thank you! He used the PM line, becuase I picked it from a book that said Paul Mitchell on the front. I'm not sure as to why he said use the Kerracare. Do you think it has to do with hair type?

Thank you! He used the PM line, becuase I picked it from a book that said Paul Mitchell on the front. I'm not sure as to why he said use the Kerracare. Do you think it has to do with hair type?
I was just wondering if he thought that maybe PM products were not for black hair.

I love Paul Mitchell and I use them on all of my customers with absolutely wonderful results.

You color is amazing. Do you know what color formula he used? It's looks like an orangy red and looks amazing on you. Love it!!

I was just wondering if he thought that maybe PM products were not for black hair.

I love Paul Mitchell and I use them on all of my customers with absolutely wonderful results.

You color is amazing. Do you know what color formula he used? It's looks like an orangy red and looks amazing on you. Love it!!

Thank you Tamika! I went to the beauty supply store and looked at both product ingredients. With PM, the second ingredient was alcohol, so I bought the Keracare. :ohwell: I also called the JCPenney salon and asked for her recommendation, and she said Kerracare. I will see what kind of results I get and how the color looks once I use Kerracare. If it's not popping like I want, then I will use the Biolage line and mix with the Kerracare products, so that I can get the moisture that I need.

What do you mean by formula? I picked the color red orange and a brighter color from the book and asked him to mix those and to be creative. I wanted it colored in chunks instead of a strand here and there. I still wanted a conservative look for my job as well as something to fit my personality but didn't want something boring. It's about three different colors. If I part it at the back, once side is brighter than the other. Overall, I love it to! :grin:

Thank you Tamika! I went to the beauty supply store and looked at both product ingredients. With PM, the second ingredient was alcohol, so I bought the Keracare. :ohwell: I also called the JCPenney salon and asked for her recommendation, and she said Kerracare. I will see what kind of results I get and how the color looks once I use Kerracare. If it's not popping like I want, then I will use the Biolage line and mix with the Kerracare products, so that I can get the moisture that I need.

What do you mean by formula? I picked the color red orange and a brighter color from the book and asked him to mix those and to be creative. I wanted it colored in chunks instead of a strand here and there. I still wanted a conservative look for my job as well as something to fit my personality but didn't want something boring. It's about three different colors. If I part it at the back, once side is brighter than the other. Overall, I love it to! :grin:

Are you sure it wasn't an emollient/fatty alcohol? Most hair products don't contain the alcohols that are drying to the hair.

Okay, I found the ingredient list:

Water/Eau, Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Helianthus Annuus Extract (Sunflower), Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone, Hedychium Coronarium Extract (White Ginger), PEG 12 Dimethicone, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Lawsonia Inermis Extract (Henna), Simmondsia Chinensis Extract (Jojoba), Rosmarinus Officinalis Extract (Rosemary), PEG 12, Dimethicone, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Fragrance/Parfum, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Cetyl Alcohol:
*A solid fatty alcohol used as an emollient and emulsion stabilizer that gives skin a velvety feel.
*Derived from coconut and palm oils. This is not a drying alcohol. Used as an emollient and to protect skin from moisture loss.
*Not an "alcohol" in the sense of a rubbing alcohol, etc. It's actual used as an emollient & emulsifier, derived from coconut oil or may be synthetically produced.
*A natural fatty alcohol derived from coconut oil widely used as an emollient and stabilizing agent in conditioning and moisturizing treatments (emulsions).

Paul Mitchell is a major player in haircolor. I'd pick him anyday, but I am biased, lol ;) PM and Joico are the only products that touch my hair.

No, seriously, I colored an old gf's hair once and bought her the entire PM color line and the shade stayed true till she ran out, and she works out in the sun everyday, so...

Okay, I found the ingredient list:

Water/Eau, Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Helianthus Annuus Extract (Sunflower), Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone, Hedychium Coronarium Extract (White Ginger), PEG 12 Dimethicone, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Lawsonia Inermis Extract (Henna), Simmondsia Chinensis Extract (Jojoba), Rosmarinus Officinalis Extract (Rosemary), PEG 12, Dimethicone, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Fragrance/Parfum, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Cetyl Alcohol:
*A solid fatty alcohol used as an emollient and emulsion stabilizer that gives skin a velvety feel.
*Derived from coconut and palm oils. This is not a drying alcohol. Used as an emollient and to protect skin from moisture loss.
*Not an "alcohol" in the sense of a rubbing alcohol, etc. It's actual used as an emollient & emulsifier, derived from coconut oil or may be synthetically produced.
*A natural fatty alcohol derived from coconut oil widely used as an emollient and stabilizing agent in conditioning and moisturizing treatments (emulsions).

Thanks for schooling me on cetyl alcohol, because I didn't know this. That's why I love this board! Now you ladies have me wanting to return my Kerracare and get some PM.

I love Paul Mitchell...but I am going to go for Kerracare for this one...Paul Mitchell can be a bit drying...it was good for me because for some odd reason my hair started to get oil on its own (not typical for black hair) and that controlled it...once I got over that phase...it was just too drying...also...Kerracare is formulated for relaxed hair...so if you get their color treated stuff...it will deal with the double processing factor...where Paul Mitchell will not...

I love Paul Mitchell...but I am going to go for Kerracare for this one...Paul Mitchell can be a bit drying...it was good for me because for some odd reason my hair started to get oil on its own (not typical for black hair) and that controlled it...once I got over that phase...it was just too drying...also...Kerracare is formulated for relaxed hair...so if you get their color treated stuff...it will deal with the double processing factor...where Paul Mitchell will not...

Thank you! I am going to keep the KC, because I cannot return it. I am going to shampoo, deep condition, and style for the first time since I have gotten it colored. I will post results tomorrow.

Back