PARIS "HAIR SHOP/BBS" UPDATE!

cybra

PARIS \"HAIR SHOP/BBS\" UPDATE!

This is long...but worth the read:)

Ladies, ladies, ladies! Today my hubby and I went out for a long walk since the weather was nicer and low and behold, guess what we came upon? About 20 or more bbs and African hair salons!!!! They were all in a row!
shocked.gif
OMG, something came over me and I started jetting in and out of them like a ball in a pinball machine. And ladies, they carry ALL the stuff I have seen in Sally's and MUCH MUCH MORE! OMG, there is so much stuff that I have NEVER heard of there. And guess what? I looked into one of the bbs and this french guy was getting his hair in micro braids!
shocked.gif
I stood in the window like a child outside a candy store watching this African hairdresser hook his stuff up. What's so odd though, many of the French in that area and others wear cornrows and micro braids just like "us"!
shocked.gif

Now you know I am going to be a "true blue" pj before I leave here. I have already emailed my oldest daughter to give her a warning to look for the boxes of stuff I'll be mailing home. OMG, they have so many products that have primrose, almond oil, EVOO, sandlewood, and so much more. Hey, does anybody know what "mystic oil" is? I saw tons of items with this in them. I don't read or really speak French or any African dialect so I had no idea what they did. But, OMG, they had an entire lane with nothing but conditioning hair gels on it!
shocked.gif
They had more bottles (spray and cream) of leave ins than I've ever seenin the states ANYWHERE! I plan to go back and I'm taking my camera so I can take pics...it they don't mind. Also, they carry Fashion Fair and Florie (sp?) Roberts' lines for much less than in the states. And, there are tons of bbs right next to each other and they are all packed. Not to sound mean, but I don't think I've seen one African here with her own hair...they all have weave or micro braids...I did see a few with cornrows. But trust me when I say, the Frenchmen LOVE THEM!
laugh.gif
I guess there's no hangups about interracial relationships...there are a LOT of them here.
smile.gif

Okay, I need to have some wine and calm down
laugh.gif
I just found out my income tax return was deposited in my checking account today too...Oh God, is this a test?
rofl.gif
Well, if any of you know of products I should be looking for so I can get my natural long and beautiful, please send me a PM or respond to this post
smile.gif
Oh, before I go I have to tell this too. One big item that is sold in these salons and African beauty supply shops is something called "Lovely White Skin", which, I believe is a line of products to lighten skin tones. It's so funny because the woman on the cartons are really fair, they are like my color and mainly darker. But, many of the women are a deep brown color. But, there are some that are biracial or maybe from a certain area in Africa that are very fair. I've never been to Africa so I don't know for sure about skin colors there...I pray this doesn't offend any sistas on the forum who are from Africa. If you know me I would never say something to hurt anyone. But, this who things seem based on my limited knowledge and what I have observed here. Just the same, I can't wait to go amuck in these supply stores. My husband said he's going to give me our ATM/check card and turn me loose...:D...wise man
smile.gif

Okay, just had to tell you that. Please give me some advice on possible products to buy or ingredients to look for. I'm so excited and I don't want to go back and pick up a bunch of junk and later find they don't work.
ohwell.gif
Okay, I'm closing....I am...really, I'm going....

I'll bet you thought I was gone
laugh.gif

Re: PARIS \"HAIR SHOP/BBS\" UPDATE!

I hope the moderators move this post over to the hair forum, cuz the ladies who frequent that area will probably be able to help you out more with your selection of oils, etc.!!!
smile.gif

Cybra, I'm soooo jealous!!
angry2.gif
Nah, just kidding... I'm really happy for ya!!!
smile.gif
Have fun going crazy in those BSS!!!
trampoline.gif

Hi Cybra, glad to see you're having fun. Which area were you in, was it Chateau rouge, Chateau d'eau or somewhere else. I'm going back to Paris in May and I need to go where you are!

Girrrrl, you are so beautiful you don't need any help. Me on the other hand, with my old butt, I need all the help I can get
laugh.gif
And I pray my help will be waiting on me in one of those beauty supply stores
smile.gif

Thanks so much...I plan to lose my mind when I start my pj shopping
laugh.gif

Thanks for the info cybra! You had me salivating at the description of the bss. I am African and wasn't offened at all at your description of the fade creams. My Mom is fair skinned (her sister is "white-skinned") and my father is like the color of dark chocolate. The skin tones in Africa really vary from white to black. I have a friend (Nigerian) who is a natural blond with white skin; so trust me, it really varies...
smile.gif
I heard that some in Africa use those fade creams to fade pimple spots.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
Thanks for the info cybra! You had me salivating at the description of the bss. I am African and wasn't offened at all at your description of the fade creams. My Mom is fair skinned (her sister is "white-skinned") and my father is like the color of dark chocolate. The skin tones in Africa really vary from white to black. I have a friend (Nigerian) who is a natural blond with white skin; so trust me, it really varies...:) I heard that some in Africa use those fade creams to fade pimple spots.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much for that info, Chichi, I will be sure to put it in that tiny microchip I call my brain for future reference
smile.gif
But the products were extensive. What I mean is, they had body wash, body cream exfoliators, facial creams, soaps, lotions, spot creams (which may be for pimples) and just so much other stuff. I asked my husband if he could make out some of what it was saying (he had a couple courses of French in college...back in the day), but he couldn't. The clerks didn't speak English but did so much to help by motioning what each product was for...it was very helpful. But, this was not the only line of skin lightener here, this is just the highly sold and advertised one. I saw a lady who was very brown skinned come in and get everything in the system. I thought, I hope she isn't trying to lose her beautiful even cocoa color. I'd given anything to have my entire body one color
smile.gif
I have more color variations than the rainbow, I kid you not
blush.gif
But, I guess this is not different than what happens in the U.S., it's just I have never seen such a large selection of skin lighteners.

Again, thank you for that info.

Mon Dieu! Cybra vos cheveux vont sembler beaux. I see that u have a lot of eye candy in Paris!
laugh.gif

Cybra, what we wanna know is do they have Surge?
tongue.gif
Walgreens has ran out so you better stock up 'fore you come and you might consider opening a "stow" of your own selling nothin' but Surge. I think you'd make a killing.
laugh.gif

And try to get some of that product referred to in one of the board Challenges as "Frenchees (Pine) Tar super grow Product. Merci et Bonjour

Hi Cybra,

Where is the location of hair shops? I would love to see them! I am working here in South Germany and would not mind making a pilgramage to a place with good hair products. Paris is about 8 hours away by train. And here I have been sending myself products from home because I thought that they could not find them here - very expensive!

Please share!

Mufasa

PS - I studied French in school and have been to Paris (twice)
laugh.gif
My hearing skills in French are much stronger than my skills in German
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mufasa said:
Hi Cybra,

Where is the location of hair shops? I would love to see them! I am working here in South Germany and would not mind making a pilgramage to a place with good hair products. Paris is about 8 hours away by train. And here I have been sending myself products from home because I thought that they could not find them here - very expensive!

Please share!

Mufasa

PS - I studied French in school and have been to Paris (twice)
laugh.gif
My hearing skills in French are much stronger than my skills in German
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mufasa! I live in the Montmartre area, near Sacre Coeur (3 min walk from me). The area I spoke of is about a 5 min walk from where I live. It was a fluke that I came upon it. My hubby and I are adventurers and we decided to walk down a different street to get to a main street we like to shop on and there it was "BAM" a couple streets over from where we had traveled many times before. This area is saturated with African stores (for fabric), outdoor markets that sale, I am assuming, foods Africans eat most (I got some wonderful yams), and all the hair supply stores and salons. I had never seen so much weave and in so many colors, styles, textures and lengths in my life. I hope you get to come, you will trip!
shocked.gif

Mahalialee4, I will do my best to see if they have the pine tar products you mention. If so, I'll let you know.

Nonie, I didn't think to look for Surge because I brought 2 bottles with me, which I bought in Milwaukee while visiting in-laws there in January. But, I will look to see if they have it and I'll let you know. Okay?

Anky, girl, you didn't lie for a second. My eyes are taking in more info than my brain can process
laugh.gif

Okay, I will update you on what I find when I go back. I was going to go today but I have other things I need to get done today...maybe later if I have time, or early next week. We are planning to go away this weekend
wink.gif

Take care ladies and keep the product suggetions coming
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cybra said:
Girrrrl, you are so beautiful you don't need any help. Me on the other hand, with my old butt, I need all the help I can get
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaaw Cybra, you are TOO kind!!
laugh.gif
But just for the record, I have an "old butt" myself (I imagine I'm one of the... ahem... "older" board members
wink.gif
) so I too can use a lil extra help sometimes for sure!!!
smile.gif
(Yep, I'm an "oldie" with a very young spirit!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
)And you need to stop with that "needing all the help you can get" business -- you know you look damn good!!
smile.gif
grin.gif

Hi cybra, you are very welcome
wave.gif
. That woman that you saw at the BSS must have been Nigerian
laugh.gif
. For some reason, having a flawless complexion is a big deal for some Nigerian ladies. Some of them get paranoid if they get a blemish.
ohwell.gif
. I have also seen those skin bleaching creams there as well.

Hope that you and your hubby are having a great time in Paris!
smile.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
Hi Cybra, glad to see you're having fun. Which area were you in, was it Chateau rouge, Chateau d'eau or somewhere else. I'm going back to Paris in May and I need to go where you are!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry sithembile, I don't know how I missed your question. I live in Montmartre...5 min walk from Sacre Coeur...if that's any help. The area I spoke of is a few mins. from here. I've only heard this area referred to as the "Butte Montmartre" area. HTH
smile.gif

Back