PARANOID?

willie525

Okay so I went to visit my beau this weekend and I went all out with my hair. I blowdried it smooth and curled it real nice. So I thought it looked quite spiffy until when I got there, it started to rain. :eek: So my hair got wet and of course dried real frizzy. I couldn't go out looking a hot mess so I pulled the curling iron out again and tried to make my hair silky again. Needless to say, it helped but now I feel like I've damaged my hair. It feels kinda...straw-like? And when I was combing it, because of the frizzies, I felt like I could hear it breaking. I guess what i wanna know is, do you think that would cause a lot of damage. What steps should I take to recover from it? Or am i just being paranoid?

And also, does anyone feel like you do the most damage to your hair trying to look attractive for the opposite sex? I feel like if I didn't date for awhile I'd be able to reach my goal in half the time!!

I'm not sure exactly what you need to do, but I would recommend deep conditioning and reading over some of the threads on whether breaking hair is a sign that it needs moisture or protein.

And as far as your second comment, well I'm single now and I agree that it's easier to baby my hair b/c looking cute for anyone is not my highest priority. Therefore I can wear ponytails and buns all day if I want to. Even so, I have felt some pressure from friends (male and female) to wear my hair out more. But b/c of the hassel I don't pay those requests too much attention :p .

Yes I feel like before I met someone I'd wear my hair pulled back every day in a bun, and it grew the best. Now I feel compelled to looked cute and I think it might hurt me in the long run.

It sounds like you need a good deep conditioning. I'm sure your hair will recover. Did you use a heat protectant when you were blow drying and using the curling iron?

I don't do any damage making myself attractive for DH. He prefers my hair loose and curly the way it naturally is. If he liked it better flat ironed straight or in some style that required a lot of heat and combing then we'd have a problem.

I have been there so I know how you feel. This happened to me a few weeks ago right before we were getting ready to go out. I just moisturized my hair and used some carusos and it was a little better. Big and poofy curls, but it was decent and I did not have to use the curling iron.

All night I was not feeling my big hair, but I was happy that I did not add additional heat. Even better when my BF said that he thinks I worry about it too much and that my hair looked fine. The next day :nono: I had to shampoo and deepcondition to get back in order.

Personally if I were you, I would have had to shampoo and condition again before hat, but if that was not possible, I would have tried to do an updo. And if that was not possible, I would have tried the curling iron but at a very low temp.

But, I do think it is easy to get caught up on what other people (not just our men) think about our hair. In my case, I was worried about what other people thought. I just knew chicks in there were thinking I needed some heat in some form or fashion.

But, still if you do that one time in a crunch, I agree with semo, do a nice deep condition and try not to have too many more times like that. :)

willie525 said:
Okay so I went to visit my beau this weekend and I went all out with my hair. I blowdried it smooth and curled it real nice. So I thought it looked quite spiffy until when I got there, it started to rain. :eek: So my hair got wet and of course dried real frizzy. I couldn't go out looking a hot mess so I pulled the curling iron out again and tried to make my hair silky again. Needless to say, it helped but now I feel like I've damaged my hair. It feels kinda...straw-like? And when I was combing it, because of the frizzies, I felt like I could hear it breaking. I guess what i wanna know is, do you think that would cause a lot of damage. What steps should I take to recover from it? Or am i just being paranoid?

And also, does anyone feel like you do the most damage to your hair trying to look attractive for the opposite sex? I feel like if I didn't date for awhile I'd be able to reach my goal in half the time!!

Back