Paging Weavers!

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
How do you guys protect your ends with a sewn in weave? I remember i got a lot of growth with my weave when I took it out my ends were really dry. Is there something i should tell my stylist to do in order to protect them or is there a way i can get to them with the weave in?

I may be wrong, so don't quote me, but what I do is just saturate each cornrow underneath the tracks. I can't see my ends, but I know there in there somewhere and my keeping it super moisturised, I'm sure to be getting to them.
hth

henrilou advised me to saturate my hair with grease prior to weaving. i think doing this when the hair is damp after washing and deep conditioning will be even more effective.

The day before i get a weave done, I do an intense deeeep conditioning treatment with olive, wheatgerm and castor oil mixed with cholestral
grin.gif
loading it on esp. at the ends. Then when im gona rollerset and dry i put some jojoba or olive oil on the ends rite as i section each piece to put it on the roller. when its dry its definately all greased up
smile.gif

those are some really good suggestions-- but do you think my hairstylist will have a difficult time cornrowing it? Or maybe she'll get annoyed that my hair is greasy? Actualy i should ask her that, but if she refuses, ill find another stylists. I wanna keep those ends moist!

I ususally do hot oil, wash, deep condtioning under heat cap, and braid it while it's still damp, or you could let it air dry. Then I mist daily with aloe/infusium spray mixture I made up, and African pride braid spray, then at night I moisterize with haircream or lightly oil. You have to moisterize the rows like Chakira says b/c your ends are in there somewhere and they need the extra help, I haven't had any dryness problems since I've done this.
hth

I do a deep conditoner the night before and then a spray each trac with S-Curl every few days.

HTH

Hiya, Luvhair!

I used to do my own weaves. Starting at the crown, I would make a straight part across the top of my hair and cornrow across to the other side. Then I would take the end of THAT cornrow and add it into the next section.

Do you get what I'm trying to say? Cause then the only ends exposed would be the very last cornrow at the bottom and I would oil it real good, tuck and sew it to the base of the last section.

Hope I explained that well enough. I wouldnt put too much product in my hair before weaving cause that could get pretty nasty become removal time.

Good luck, Chicky!

Thought I would chime in (even if this is an old thread)
tongue.gif
When I did my braid/weave setup, I had the best results when (after taking it out), I did a hot olive oil treatment and then washed it with something like Dr. Bonners Pure Castille Soap (only once).

Prior to braiding it up again, I slathered a lot of conditioner (IC Deep Penetrating Moisturizing Cream - Aloe Vera), and Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter
up.gif
and Sulfur 8 on the scalp for itching (I think it heals the scalp somewhat too).

I coronrow and then loop hair in - it stays that way for 4 weeks, then, I take it out and do it again. When washing, I was using the Dr. Bonners on the scalp because it was so itchy after a week or so. But - I know that it is better to use Cream Of Nature shampoo because Dr. Bonners can be drying.

If I do it right, my hair is in wavy when I pull it out (although oily). If it is too oilyw, I washed with a clarifyer and then do a reconstructor/hair repair treatment. When going back into the braids, I goop it up again.

I don't know what shape my hair is in now - I am considering a texturizer. I may go back to the braid/weave after the texturizer though.

Is it OK to braid or weave your hair after a texturizer has been applied?

Mufasa, all of those products didn't clog up your scalp? I am weaving in a few weeks and did not realize that my real hair may need some tlc til I started reading these posts. I've been deep conditioning every week, got a great trim to even me up a bit on Friday and will continue to deep condition and treat prior to my sew in.

I only had put the Sulfur8 directly on my scalp. Pretty much it was the hair itself that got a lot of stuff placed on it. In the past (when weaving) I would come out with dry hair. That was when I had started to kind of saturate the hair with conditioners (and maybe oils) before braiding. I did this when the hair was wet, cornrow it and then looped the hair in the cornrows. I have not tried the sewn in version of the weave.

[ QUOTE ]
those are some really good suggestions-- but do you think my hairstylist will have a difficult time cornrowing it? Or maybe she'll get annoyed that my hair is greasy? Actualy i should ask her that, but if she refuses, ill find another stylists. I wanna keep those ends moist!

[/ QUOTE ]

the solution is to grease the tracks AFTER the stylist has canerowed. that should satisfy both parties.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
the solution is to grease the tracks AFTER the stylist has canerowed. that should satisfy both parties.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow i feel dumb-- thats such a simple solution. Thanks Pandora!
wink.gif

guys, what about doing daily rinses with a weave? anyone tried that? i'm thinking about spraying water/conditioner to my tracks regularly.

i plan on doing tri weekly conditioner washes dried with a fan. I think I am also gonna use Elasta qp h 2 instad scurl while in a weave and oiling my scalp with the castor oil mix that elliot discovered.

Back