Paging Weave Wearers and Anyone Else That Can Help

Pumpkin

I think it is time my hair gets a break from relaxing. I have found it does better in the summer than the winter. I have been experiencing breakage on my left side and am very disappointed /images/graemlins/frown.gif My hair is growing everywhere else and is really thick at the ends. It is this one side that is killing me. So I have decided to give my hair a break and perhaps but in a weave til June.

The weave sounded like a great idea but I wanted my entire head cornrowed with nothing left out since it is my edge that is thinning and needs protection. Also I heard that the sewing weaves were bad for your hair because the stress causes them to break. I heard of the stocking cap deal when they attach a weave to a cap of some sort, but dosen't this restrict your hair from breathing and growing???

PLEASE PLEASE help! I am at my wits end because I have made too much progress only to fail because one side of my is thinning. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

What is your exact plan for a routine while your hair is in a weave? Also what is your hair care routine now?

The sew in weaves can be damaging if they are too tight, and left in too long (longer than 4 weeks) and braided without a base. A base is taking some synthetic hair to braid your into first, then sewing the weave onto that for more support. You would just have to make sure that you are diligent about moisture.

I think with the cap, the hair should be o.k. I would worry about not getting to the scalp for 4 weeks which could be a problem. I'm also concerned about the thinning that you have, and a weave could make that worse.

It is possible to purchase a wig? That way you can have the versatility of a style, but still be able to get to your hair so that you can nourish it back to shape with conditioning treatments and moisture, etc.

I think the questions on your current routine will help others provide more answers.

HTH (hope that helped)

Tara /images/graemlins/band.gif (who can NOT get enough of these smilies) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Re: Paging Weave Wearers and Anyone Else That Can

Pumpkin, I have never worn a weave. But I have heard comments along the lines of what Tara said - if you already have thinning, some weaves could make it worse. Why not check out a nice wig? I recall some posts where women wore wigs and pulled them off very nicely. At least you will be able to tend to your hair on a regular basis.

Pumpkin, I agree with Tara/Kitkat. I have thinning in the crown area which is much better now. My thinning was caused by over-processing and I made it worst by getting a weave (cornrows). I left the weave in for 3 months at a time. I did this twice, yes I had a lot of new growth, but I had developed a bald spot at the crown. I SHOULD NOT /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif have gotten that weave, it did not allow me to treat my scalp.

My bald spot is smaller and my hair isn't as thin as it was before, thanks LHCF /images/graemlins/angel.gif

Re: Paging Weave Wearers and Anyone Else That Can

I had a weave and I loved it! I gained a lot of growth from it, although I wore it for a short time (I bought the wrong kind of hair /images/graemlins/mad.gif). I was expecting to lose some hair because I have had a TERRIBLE experience from braids. I think you should try it though.

I think your best option is to get a sewn in weave, but leave some of the crown of your hair because it is thinning, and also, because it can conceal the weave and look more natural.

I had mine cornrowed in with no stocking or whatever. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I plan on getting another one when I am ready. I bought Sensationnel's deep wave and it feels so soft! For now, I am just playing in my own hair.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also what is your hair care routine now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wash my hair on a regular basis. Twice a week with a deep conditioner every week. Here are the products I use.
Shampoos: Aveda and Elucence
Moisturizing Conditioners: Tropical Avacado, Elucence
Protein COnditioner: CPR and ORS Hair Mayo
Leave in: Khiels
I oil my scalp with vitamin E, jojoba oil and use castor oil on the edges.

I never sleep without a silk scarf and I never use a blowdryer. I am thinking the thinning may be from excessive stress. Everyone tells me not to stress but this is very difficult. I have to work and intern and attend school full-time and I never have time for myself. Also I have been depressed since my mother died last year and have been feeling very unhappy since. Also I have never considered myself a pretty girl so whenever I look at my hair and how long it should have been I get really upset. /images/graemlins/frown.gif My birthday is tomorrow and I feel so horrible and ugly with this thinning area. I know it is the stres because everytime I am upset the left side of my head just pulses. I tried yoga and the gym but that still dosen't help.

I did have a weave in the past but that was long ago and I did not know how to care for my hair. I am thinking that it would proabably do more damage than help but at this point I don't know what else to do. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am currently wearing a weave. Before you get it put in you need to really think about how you are going to treat your hair once it is in the weave...are you going to be washing it your self our going to the salon to have it done? You also need to decide how you are going to treat your scalp.

I wash my hair once a week now...at first it was every 3-4 days. I deep condition evry time I wash and I have to oil my scalp twice a week. If you are going to care for your weave a home make sure you dilute your shampoo and conditoner so you don't get any build up on the hair underneath.

HTH

Back