OW, my scalp! My poor scalp!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair is growing, but my scalp is so tender from it.:cry2: I don't know what to do about it. Please offer any suggestions. I will be 3 months post on Saturday. This is the first transition that has been relatively heat free. If this keeps up, I will be using heat. I am hoping that it will not damage my new growth.:sad:

My hair is growing, but my scalp is so tender from it.:cry2: I don't know what to do about it. Please offer any suggestions. I will be 3 months post on Saturday. This is the first transition that has been relatively heat free. If this keeps up, I will be using heat. I am hoping that it will not damage my new growth.:sad:

Is your scalp tender from combing the new growth?

My own transition (12 months) was almost painless when it came to handling the new growth. The texturized part was the part I didn't like :lol:

Braid outs got me through it and stretched my newgrowth out to make it MUCH more managable.

Roots12009-vi.jpg

That was me 7 months post. Newgrowth was not too bad to handle. Maybe your scalp is tender because you are pulling at it and trying to tame it? Braidouts are great for that :)

Also, try oiling your scalp. I do hot oil treatments, but I do make sure to get the warmed oil on the scalp and massage in. I like castor, evoo and coconut! It's very soothing and nourishing to the scalp.

HTH Good luck with your transition!

I remember experiencing a sore scalp at about the 12 week mark also. When I would experience that before people said that it means my hair needed a relaxer:rolleyes:. I believe that this is happenning because the chemical that is "absorbed" through the scalp is pushing out. But I could be wrong. Try doing some hot oil treatments with lavender added that should help soothe your scalp. Good luck with your transition!

How will heat make your scalp feel better?
It seems to fool my hair into thinking I relaxed it. :rolleyes: It works for me, anyway.:grin: I never comb my hair, I just rake it with a boar brush into a bun after co washing. I can't get a PS to stay in my hair, yet. I have to research twist outs because I don't know how to braid.:ohwell:

It seems to fool my hair into thinking I relaxed it. :rolleyes: It works for me, anyway.:grin: I never comb my hair, I just rake it with a boar brush into a bun after co washing. I can't get a PS to stay in my hair, yet. I have to research twist outs because I don't know how to braid.:ohwell:

Well if straightening fools your hair scalp into thinking you've relaxed, then it's all just psychological.

Anyway, I think your problem is the bold. Since you're not detangling your hair is getting tangled, which only causes more problems. I'm sure when your hair is straight, it's easier to detangle and that's why your scalp feels better, since you're not raking through it.

I suggest you detangle in small sections and treat your hair and scalp gently, then it won't hurt anymore. It's not the hair growth that is making your scalp tender, it's how you're treating your hair.

And you did have a protective style that worked, the phony bun/ponytail. So you could do that if you wanted to.

Thanks, Msa. I need all the suggestions I can get. I am in the middle of researching new shampoo and conditioners. I never knew that relaxed hair had to be detangled.:blush: :lachen: I have so much to learn and I'm willing to listen. Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks in advance.:yep:

When I'm stretching my relaxer, my scalp tends to get very tender. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, and then I realized that I was fighting with my new growth every single day. It was too much manipulation for my scalp. I started trying to really moisturize the area before making any attempts to detangle/comb. Good luck to you!

Back