Overrated And Underrated Protective Styles

What protective methods have you found were overhyped and which deserve to be?. Name at least two of each and why they are overrated or underrated.

Overrated
  1. Box Braids. I know it works for many but when it goes wrong, it can cause major setbacks. There is so many ways it could go wrong that is makes it seem overrated. I have tried it twice and each time I don't retain because of tangles after the take down.
  2. Sew in Weaves - I've always thought it a bad idea to put your hair through the stress of sewing.

Underrated
  1. Banana Clipping - Why isn't this protective style more popular? I have been wearing it for days and it so easy. On me as a styler, on my edges, there is no mid shaft breakage because they is no bands. You also have easy access to moisturize your hair. Unlike bunning, clipped hairdo doesn't have to be neat. You don't have to use a brush or comb to style. Just gather the hair and clip it. Done
  2. A simple Wash and Go - Not a braidout. Braiding is added manipulation after the stress of washing and detangling IMO. As a relaxed, my hair is stretched so I don't need much brushing or combing after a brief detangle session. On days that I want to switch from banana clipping, I just leave it loosely on my shoulders, again it can be untid. I am no longer as obsessed with brushing out every curl as I used to be. I can always gather it and put it in a clip during the day, which I do more often that not.

Overrated:

I agree with both of your overrated and would like to add:
1. What OP said
2. WIGS
: I know many people love them (including my mom), but I can't for the life of me get over the fact that wearing a wig is like wearing a hat with hair. In the past I have worn both weaves and braids, but the couple of times I have tried to wear a wig I was just sooo uncomfortable. Plus most wigs just look wiggy and artificial to me. Lastly, I feel like wigs and the like can become a crutch. Just another excuse not to wear and or deal with ones hair.

Underrated:

1. Twist/Braids (using only your natural hair): Okay, so I'm extremely partial to twist because that's my go to style. But, I have experienced the best results with wearing my natural hair in twist than any other protective style I have tried. In twist, I am able to style them, moisturize my hair and scalp, and keep my hair protected for a week or more.

2. Tuck & Roll: Not necessarily the old school french roll. But kindof...LOL! I find that when my hair is loose, a good tuck and roll with hair pins can keep it looking good with little manipulation.

I forgot all about Tuck and Roll. That is one of the more elegant low mani protective style.

Since I am always suffering from some sort of sinus pressure, wigs just aren't for me. I don't another pressure on my poor head. I

Well... My hair doesn't fit in banana clips, ao that one's out for me

Overrated for me is twists. My hair knots up at the ends and just gets ratty when I do them now.

Underrated, box braids with my own hair... works so much better for me than twists.

Overrated for me is twists. My hair knots up at the ends and just gets ratty when I do them now.

Underrated, box braids with my own hair... works so much better for me than twists.
I agree about banana clips. My relaxed hair broke two of them and I can't imagine using them on my natural hair now.

Overrated- Havana Twists-they get fuzzy quickly and are overdone. Weaves-too many setbacks, complications, $$$

Underated-medium twists on your own hair. Favorite protective style hands down. Takes less than an hour to do and looks cute up or down

Caveat - everything doesn't work for everybody.
My list of underrated/overrated.

Overrated - braids, sew-ins, wash and go, mini twists
Underrated - buns on blown out hair, half wigs, tuck and roll, buns made with banana clips or spin pins (I have a lot of hair and it's thick, it took some trial and error to find the right banana clip and know how to put it in without it popping open.)

(I'd like to complain about an overrated product - QB Burdock Root Cream and Amla Heavy Cream. That stuff was straight booty (as my teen says!) on my hair! I now use it as leg lotion. I'm so glad I only ordered the sample sizes.)

Overrated:
1. Its not a style, but more of a practice: Going weeks between washes to hold in a protective style.
2. Box braids - it seems like it would be more stressful on the hair and roots.
3. Wigs and weaves
4. Wash and Go - My natural hair always tangled when attempting to WnG. My hair needs to be stretched.

Underrated
1. Tuck and roll.

(My hair broke 3 banana clips as well)

Caveat - everything doesn't work for everybody.
My list of underrated/overrated.

Overrated - braids, sew-ins, wash and go, mini twists
Underrated - buns on blown out hair, half wigs, tuck and roll, buns made with banana clips or spin pins (I have a lot of hair and it's thick, it took some trial and error to find the right banana clip and know how to put it in without it popping open.)

(I'd like to complain about an overrated product - QB Burdock Root Cream and Amla Heavy Cream. That stuff was straight booty (as my teen says!) on my hair! I now use it as leg lotion. I'm so glad I only ordered the sample sizes.)

Amen! Didn't live up to the hype with my hair either. Not even close.

do you mind sending me pic of how box braids looked with your own hair?
I'm considering doing that.

Thanks!

Tuck and rolls are it! Grew a few inches in my tnr.
Overrated is mini twists and probably mini braids. Man what a nightmare on my fine strands.

Overated - anything that requires braiding or twisting/QUOTE]

My hair gets so tangled when I try twist or braids. I just had kinky twists put in for my vacation. I was so paranoid I was going to damage that I took them the Saturday after we got back.

I think wash n goes are underrated. My hair seems to be thriving on water. My hair has grown a lot since my bc. I don't have to wait around for twists or braids to dry for twist outs or braid outs.

Overrated:
Micro and individual braids done professionally at the braid shops, a big no for me and some others I've seen. They take such thin, small pieces of your own hair and mix in ALOT of the braid hair which causes a lot of stress on the individual strands.

Wigs and Lace Fronts- Waaay too much stress on the hairline. So many women are walking around with their hairlines starting in the middle of their head!

Cornrows- professionally done for the same reasons as wigs and lace fronts. Remember Susan Taylor from Essence?

Underrated: I know it's been said about 50 times now, but that tuck and roll is it! Well mine are roll and tucks actually, but it's my number one everyday style. So quick and easy, less manipulation and when my roots and edges start reverting I can hide them (side or swoop bang for the edges).

One plat in the back or one cornrow on each side of your head (like Cynthia McKinney used to wear). These only last a couple of days for me, but they're low manipulation and you can wear them in the hot summer months if you're natural you don't have to worry about the heat!

Can someone post a picture of a tuck and roll? I've never gotten it right. Maybe I have a different idea of what it is.

I'm just uploading it here because I'm illiterate with this website sometimes and couldn't figure out how to do it in a PM.

So purty!

How long do you keep those in for and what is your care plan like?

So purty!

How long do you keep those in for and what is your care plan like?

Thanks! I haven't done these in a bit, but these weren't too small, so I kept them in like 2-3 weeks. I just use a braid spray and if I REALLY feel up to it, I'll cowash with the braids in.

I just like braids better because my ends don't knot up NEARLY as much as with twists.

Back