Overprocessed hair, help!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Hi, I'm a newbie that needs help. :look: I believe my hair may be over processed. Does anyone know how to tell if your hair is overprocessed?

Can I get it back to health, or do I have to cut it off and start again? I permed about 6 wks ago, 4A, shoulder length, dry, flaky, w/crunchy ends. I started caring for it by putting EVOO on it and sleeping with a satin cap. It feels better I must admit, but because I have perm, the ends are softer than the roots. I don't know what to do. Please help.

bumping for you. + giving you this link :

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=156231

When i felt my hair was over processed, I treated it with roux porosity control

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-99006.html

roux_porosity_control_shampoo.gif

HTH

you got a perm 6 weeks ago? is this your first relaxer? is it breaking ?tell us more. you dont have to cut your hair off. if your hair feels brittle and dry and snaps easily do a deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. .and instead of just putting oil on it, moisturize it first and then put oil on over that to seal the moisture in. when are you due for your next relaxer? was your hair shedding more than normal after you first got the relaxer done? or are you just noticing this now? if it had just now been happening, then all it means is that you need to get a retouch.

you got a perm 6 weeks ago? is this your first relaxer? is it breaking ?tell us more. you dont have to cut your hair off. if your hair feels brittle and dry and snaps easily do a deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. .and instead of just putting oil on it, moisturize it first and then put oil on over that to seal the moisture in. when are you due for your next relaxer? was your hair shedding more than normal after you first got the relaxer done? or are you just noticing this now? if it had just now been happening, then all it means is that you need to get a retouch.

Yes, six weeks ago. I've been perming for years (Optimum). It's breaking and dry. If I run my hand through my hair, there will be broken off hair between my fingers and on my shirt.

I was going to do a relaxer in about 2 weeks, but I think I'll try some of the things I see on here first to make my hair healthier. Could you suggest a deep conditioner?

Also after I do the deep conditioner, do I put the oil on it while it's still wet (after I wash the conditioner out) or after it air dries? I use Creme of Nature Ultra Moist Shampoo and Creme of Nature Repairing Conditioner sometimes I use Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner. My hair's been dry and brittle for a while now... I'm just not sure of what to do. My ends are the worse, I don't know what to do for them. I know the growth won't show if I can't keep the ends from breaking off. I really appreciate your help. :yep:

Protein, protein, protein! If it is breaking, I would do a protein treatment (and then folow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner). Aphogee makes a great protein treatment that stops breakage dead in its tracks. After that with each washing I would alternate b/w conditioning with a deep moisturizing one like Dark & Lovely's Moisture Seal deep conditioner and a lt. protein one like ORS Hair Mayo. HTH! :grin:

Yes, six weeks ago. I've been perming for years (Optimum). It's breaking and dry. If I run my hand through my hair, there will be broken off hair between my fingers and on my shirt.

I was going to do a relaxer in about 2 weeks, but I think I'll try some of the things I see on here first to make my hair healthier. Could you suggest a deep conditioner?

Also after I do the deep conditioner, do I put the oil on it while it's still wet (after I wash the conditioner out) or after it air dries? I use Creme of Nature Ultra Moist Shampoo and Creme of Nature Repairing Conditioner sometimes I use Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner. My hair's been dry and brittle for a while now... I'm just not sure of what to do. My ends are the worse, I don't know what to do for them. I know the growth won't show if I can't keep the ends from breaking off. I really appreciate your help. :yep:

After I deep condition, I airdry. And I'll be honest, I put a lot of stuff in my hair but it dries soft and moisturized. So try it if you like. I airdry with a leave in conditioner (Lacio Lacio for me)
daily hair moisturizer (Elasta QP Mango Butter)
a dab of honey - for shine
and then seal with oil (Hot Six Oil)

Then I tie a du-rag scarf around the top of my head and roll the loose ends on cold wave rods and air dry.

If your hair is breaking and dry, it probably needs more moisture. Get yourself a good moisturizing conditioner and give yourself a deep conditioning treatment. See if it helps.

I wouldn't cut just yet. If it is indeed overprocessed, then I would step up the DC treatments to at least once per week. I would gradually trim the overprocessed parts until they were gone.

Last edited:
Back