• No

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Question -- can you use Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner to much/too often? If so, what are the side effects of doing so?

I typically use it with every wash session but I'm finding my ends dry quickly (they get dry and bushy when air drying no matter what products I apply) while the rest of my hair remains damp for a long while thereafter. Not sure if this is a sign of over/under porous hair OR under/over porous ends. When I roller set, however, my ends come out nice and silky and my hair seems to all dry around the same rate (meaning, the ends don't dry out quicker than length of hair).

I've used it for the last two months. I wash my hair once a week and I just stopped using it two weeks ago. It help to smooth my hair and I did see a difference. I stopped using it because the ladies here say that they get the same results using cold water after a wach/condition. I tried the cold rinse with no Porosity Control and I think my hair is just as smooth and I get the same results. Sometimes less is more.

But yes, you can use Porosity Control too often, or too much. When I went to buy a bottle, there was a woman at Sally's who told me not to buy it. She said that she had been using it to co-wash, and all it did was mess up her hair. Her hair was messed up, too.

But anyway, symptoms of overusing PC include dry, brittle, rough hair (no matter how much you try to moisturize), perpetually fuzzy ends, and a gross residue.

All anyone has to do is follow the directions on the bottle though. Use it for the described time, and rinse it all out, and there shouldn't be issues, unless someone's hair just doesn't like Porosity Control. And of course, don't use it too often. I try to use it once a week at most, and if I have to do my hair more than once that week, I use an ACV rinse in lieu of Porosity Control.

I normally use it once a week or every two weeks. I also only use the shampoo. I don't over due it so I cannot overdose on it.

I try to use it once a week at most, and if I have to do my hair more than once that week, I use an ACV rinse in lieu of Porosity Control.
I'm only using it once a week and following the directions precisely. I thought I read somewhere that ACV was harmful to the hair. Am I making this up? Please don't let me scare anyone as I don't have the thread or knowledge to back it up. I vaguely remember a yt vid discussing ACV and things ppl should know about it. For some reason, negative things stick out in my mind. Anyway -- -how do you use ACV? how much of the ACV do you use (dime, nickle, quarter size, etc)? Do you rinse in cold water?

I tried the cold rinse with no Porosity Control and I think my hair is just as smooth and I get the same results. Sometimes less is more.
I always rinse in cold water but I'm not getting the same results with cold water rinses as I do when pairing PC with cold water rinsing. Before PC, I would attempt to slick my hair down and bun and I would have stubborn strands that wouldn't lay flat for nothing. Now, I can damp/wet bun with ease. Since I'm a newb, I'm sure a little is also technique. Each time I'm getting better & better at understanding my hair, styling, damp/wet bunning etc.

I normally use it once a week or every two weeks. I also only use the shampoo. I don't over due it so I cannot overdose on it.
Why the poo & not the conditioner? Is the poo better or just situational?

I use it weekly as per the directions. They reason I use it weekly is because I DC with Heat i.e. Steamer/Heat Cap and my cuticles are swollen, raised, lifted after DC'ing with Heat and to restore the Ph Balance of My Hair. Not to mention I have/had Overly Porous Hair.:ohwell:

So, I will do a quick PC Final rinse-out with cold water after allowing my hair to cool down a bit.

I also use other Acidifying Conditioners that serve the same purpose, like Nexxus Ensure that has a Ph Balance of 3.0.:yep:

Why the poo & not the conditioner? Is the poo better or just situational?[/QUOTE]

I have the conditioner and I tried it but it did not make a big difference so I just use the poo before I deep condition my hair. This works great for my hair.

I use to use it once every two weeks but I stopped b/c my hair felt weird after awhile (I believe b/c I wasn't using any heat). I just used it on Saturday and my hair felt good after so I believe can overdose on pc if your cuticles aren't raised.

I use it once a month as my pre-poo with heat for 10 minutes. Keeps my porosity in check, never experienced any issues with using it this way.

Well..wish i had seen this thread last night b4 I cut my bsl hair to chin length out of frustration lol. I think i may have overdosed on porosity control b/c my ends were all clumped together, dry, and frizzy and i was seeing single strandknots every day. up until right now, I thought my lye relaxer messed my hair up but it may very well have been the porosity control--which i was doing 3-4 times a week @ 1-2 hours with shower cap--trying to 'prepare' for the relaxer. ughhhh what a set back!

Well..wish i had seen this thread last night b4 I cut my bsl hair to chin length out of frustration lol. I think i may have overdosed on porosity control b/c my ends were all clumped together, dry, and frizzy and i was seeing single strandknots every day. up until right now, I thought my lye relaxer messed my hair up but it may very well have been the porosity control--which i was doing 3-4 times a week @ 1-2 hours with shower cap--trying to 'prepare' for the relaxer. ughhhh what a set back!
STOP PLAYING! You did not cut your BSL to CL. You're a brave soul. I would have been trying to save every inch of my hair. How do you like you're new cut?

Divachyk may I ask what products you are using to air dry?
See, well, um about that -- I'm still trying to perfect air drying. I apply Elasta QP H-Two and NTM Silk Leave In and seal with oil on hair that's about 80% dry. I don't like the way my ends air dry (the remainder of my hair air dry delicously). I think my ends dry coarse and bushy. This last air dry session (last night), I got frustrated over my bushy ends so I pulled hair back to a pony, applied Motions Foam Setting Lotion (while hair in pony), rolled pony in a magnetic roller and sat under dryer. Hair (including the ends) turned out nice and soft but that defeats my goal of air drying. :rolleyes: You have suggestions?? I'm totally open to any & all air drying tips. For me, I guess I know how to air dry, it's just a matter of learning how to air dry and achieve silky soft ends.

I'm only using it once a week and following the directions precisely. I thought I read somewhere that ACV was harmful to the hair. Am I making this up? Please don't let me scare anyone as I don't have the thread or knowledge to back it up. I vaguely remember a yt vid discussing ACV and things ppl should know about it. For some reason, negative things stick out in my mind. Anyway -- -how do you use ACV? how much of the ACV do you use (dime, nickle, quarter size, etc)? Do you rinse in cold water?

I guess ACV can be bad for the hair if you use too much, but that's true for anything. I believe that if used in moderation, ACV can be really good for the hair, since it is a porosity corrector that has the added benefit of being natural.

To make my rinse, I use .5 ounce of ACV and 15 ounces of water and I usually refrigerate it for a few hours before using it. I pour it on my head slowly, concentrating mostly on the ends and length, but I also make sure to get a little on my scalp to cleanse it from any conditioner residue left over. I put on a shower cap for a few minutes, and then I take off the shower cap and use a towel to gently squeeze the excess rinse from my hair. Then I go about the rest of my regular routine.

It does smell like vinegar for a little while, but by the time my hair is dry, the smell is completely gone. And even though I think I get better results (as in my ends are softer and smoother) from PC, I notice that my hair feels cleaner and lighter when I've used ACV.

hth!

Back