over and under processed question

plainj

How can you tell when your hair is under or over processed? Two different stylists told me my hair was over processed (of course, that was after I told them I did my own relaxers). Both wanted to do corrective relaxers. My hair looks fine to me except for split ends (and some dryness that has now been corrected). So how can you tell? And what is involved in a corrective relaxer.
Thanks

bump. I was doing a search and noone got back to this poor girl? I really need to know for myself though.. hehehe

I'm not sure how to really tell the difference, but I would be very very cautious about a corrective relaxer. If you think you're managing the problem and you like your hair, don't take the plunge because that's just more opportunity to do more damage. Just my opinion. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Neroli said:
I'm not sure how to really tell the difference, but I would be very very cautious about a corrective relaxer. If you think you're managing the problem and you like your hair, don't take the plunge because that's just more opportunity to do more damage. Just my opinion. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I'd have to agree with Neroli. If ain't broke...

My hair was overprocessed which caused severe breakage (handfuls), dry, no body (lifeless), see-through ends, and after my touch-ups my hair felt like it was plastered to my head. The only thing that will correct it is to stop overprocessing it, I did three deep protien treatments and slowly trimmed the overprocessed ends off (Since I won't bc it, trimming off my damaged ends is going to take two to three years). For me overprocessed means that my hair strands have been chemically broken down within an inch of their life.

I think underprocessed is just that the hair isn't as straight as you would like. For instance, I don't like having my hair relaxed completely straight but some people do. Does that make any sense?

How can a corrective remedy overprocessed hair? I don't recommend putting relaxer chemical on hair that is severely dry or damaged.

I agree with Melodee. I don't know if that was a typo in your post, but I definitely wouldn't let them put a "corrective" relaxer on overprocessed hair. Also, simcha's description of overprocessed hair is dead on.

Yes, it does make sesne but every single hair dresser that ive been to has had the same effect. I just thought that was what it was supposed to be like. Does anyone here follow the time requirements on the perms? or those that go to the hairdresser, how do you know she did not over process?

This is a really hard thing to determine as it depends on the strength of the perm, how resistant your hair is, and how straight you want it. I've heard of some people not being able to finish because their hair was screaming for the perm to be washed out and I've heard stories of people sitting for hours on end with perm in their hair. I'm sorry that I wasn't of more help with that ;-(

simcha said:
My hair was overprocessed which caused severe breakage (handfuls), dry, no body (lifeless), see-through ends, and after my touch-ups my hair felt like it was plastered to my head. The only thing that will correct it is to stop overprocessing it, I did three deep protien treatments and slowly trimmed the overprocessed ends off (Since I won't bc it, trimming off my damaged ends is going to take two to three years). For me overprocessed means that my hair strands have been chemically broken down within an inch of their life.

I think underprocessed is just that the hair isn't as straight as you would like. For instance, I don't like having my hair relaxed completely straight but some people do. Does that make any sense?

ITA!

You SHOULD NOT do a corrective relaxer on overprocessed hair. ONlY underprocessed. I have underprocessed hair and i have the hair stylist do it on purpose. My hair is stronger and there is a less chance of overprocessing if my stylist overlaps. If it isn't causing you breakage, or problems then you don't need a corrective relaxer. Corrective relaxers are risky b/c if you don't do it right you risk OVERPROCESSING which can only be corrected by a cut.

Back