outta control breakage....

MsChelle

:nono: I am at a loss! I am not sure what it is that I am doing or not doing that is causing the breakage in my hair. My breakage had seemingly slowed down some. Not totally but some. This is what I did last night: Washed with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, followed that with Aphogee Deep Moisture shampoo, rinsed and applied Aphogee Keratin 2-minute Reconstructor (left on for 5 mins), rinsed and applied Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream conditioner. I left the Granier on over night with a plastic cap on (I washed my hair @ like 2 am and was too lazy to finish the process) well.....this is where it all came clear to me that something I did left my hair upset at me...I rinsed the conditioner out and applied Aphogee Leave-In, and sealed with coconut oil. I let my air dry about 90% and then used a cool blow dryer to finish drying (had errands to run) I had so much broken hair all over my counter and floor that it startled me! My ends are SO DRY that they feel like straw. Any ideas on what I did wrong or what I should try differently.....I am at a loss:wallbash:

It sounds like you used a lot of products that have protein in them so you may have a case of protein overload. Do you have a good moisturizing DC that you can use? Also, how often do you use your clarifying shampoo? A clarifying shampoo can strip your hair so watch out for that. This is my take on the situation. I know the other ladies here may have more to add. HTH!

I think the problem was leaving the garnier conditioner on overnight. My sister-in-law did this once and she thought she was going bald because she lost so much hair. She also complained of dryness when it happened to her too.

You have to be really careful not to leave products that are not leave-ins on your hair for very long periods of time. Iknow it's done often here, but it's really not a good idea.

Garnier products have alot of polymers in them which help give them their fortifying effect. I think that is where you went wrong, leaving it in overnight. To be honest, blowdying on cool didn't help either. These polymers get worn away with manipulation and heat might have helped break them up a bit. I just think you were doing a little too much. The aphogee 2 step has enough humectants in it that after applying some leave in, you would have probably been fine.

Try re washing, just using 1 conditioning product and a simple leave in.

My opinion is PROTEIN over load,
Overnite condition helps remove the dead hair from my hair shaft instead tryin to detangles and risk losin more hair.after my overnite treatments its easy to detangle.

I would suggest never leaving a protein conditioner overnight, I only leave a moisture-based conditioner overnight. You also have used way too much protein based products as well.

It sounds like you used a lot of products that have protein in them so you may have a case of protein overload. Do you have a good moisturizing DC that you can use? Also, how often do you use your clarifying shampoo? A clarifying shampoo can strip your hair so watch out for that. This is my take on the situation. I know the other ladies here may have more to add. HTH!

That was the 1st time I have used the clarifying shampoo. My hair felt like it had build up on it. I am still searching for a really good moisturizing conditioner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:yawn:

I think the problem was leaving the garnier conditioner on overnight. My sister-in-law did this once and she thought she was going bald because she lost so much hair. She also complained of dryness when it happened to her too.

You have to be really careful not to leave products that are not leave-ins on your hair for very long periods of time. Iknow it's done often here, but it's really not a good idea.

That is really good advice. That is the first time (and that last) that I have done that. I figured it wouldn't do any harm since it was just conditioner. NowI know better. :nono:

I would suggest never leaving a protein conditioner overnight, I only leave a moisture-based conditioner overnight. You also have used way too much protein based products as well.

Please don't laugh at me for asking this....How do I know if a product is protein based? What ingredients should I look out for that will tip me off? I thought the conditioner that I left on was a moisturizing on because it says Moisture Works.... I have got to learn the difference and fast. I have been doing my co-washes with it too!!!:nono:

Garnier products have alot of polymers in them which help give them their fortifying effect. I think that is where you went wrong, leaving it in overnight. To be honest, blowdying on cool didn't help either. These polymers get worn away with manipulation and heat might have helped break them up a bit. I just think you were doing a little too much. The aphogee 2 step has enough humectants in it that after applying some leave in, you would have probably been fine.

I am still learning...Thank goodness for LHCF and you ladies on here!!!:spinning:

I used to have chronic breakage as well (pre LHCF). As with the others, my first impression was that you used too much protein. I also suffered from protein overload a couple of times duting the "experimentation phase" of my hair journey. The products/techniques that have turned that situtation completely around are:

-Hairveda's SitriNilla mixed with olive oil under a plastic cap for up to 20 minutes with heat
-Kenra MC mixed with Roux Porosity control left on for about 5 minutes
-A liquid leave in mixed with Silk Amino Acid
-Roux Fermodyl 619 leave in

Again, I had CHRONIC breakage that has left me with short patches and an uneven hairline. These days I find almost NO hair in the comb on wash days. I also use Aphogee shampoo and leave in and they have served me well. The 2 Minute is the bomb, and the only protein I can use that won't jack my hair up. I'm just offering the things that helped me, maybe some or all of the techniques can help you as well.

Please don't laugh at me for asking this....How do I know if a product is protein based? What ingredients should I look out for that will tip me off? I thought the conditioner that I left on was a moisturizing on because it says Moisture Works.... I have got to learn the difference and fast. I have been doing my co-washes with it too!!!:nono:

Here is a link to SistaSlick's articles; she has several that discuss moisture, protein and the necessary balance between them, including lists of products containing each:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83046/audrey_sivasothy.html

Everyone is giving great advice! I agree with the protein overload. Coconut oil is more of a protein based oil as well.

I would do 2-3 deep conditioning moisturizing dcs this week. I would skip the poos and definitely do ACV rinse after the dcs. Airdry and use a moisturizing leave in (like NTM) and seal with evoo.
Keep us posted, sis!!!

Hi Bttrfly70!

The protein condishes normally have in the ingredient list Hydrolyzed Soy, Vegetable, Keratin, Animal, Collagen, or Silk, Protein - also Wheat Protein but that can be found in both moisturizing and protein condishes - The protein condishes normally have "fortifying, restructuring on the bottle as well - also when reading the back of the bottle often times the when the description mentions "strengthening" ....(I know I am missing something)

Some good moisturizing condishes are (1st three are my personal favorites)
Kenra MC
AO HSR
Nexxus Humectress
Elucence MB
Silk Elements MegaSilk
CON Moisturizing
Lanza Moisture
Paul Mitchell Super Charged
Joico Moisture

Just to name a few ...HTH

Garnier are not protein products. There is a difference between protein and fortifying which is why I didn't say protein overload.

Fortifying products are designed to help reinforce the hair cuticle, helping it lay flat and tight. Not always the same as a protein conditioner. Fortifying products work by using things like fruit acids, extracts of certain plants like bamboo, ceramides, polyacryliamide, sugars like glycoaminoglycans. They don't work exactly the same as protein products. Many fortifying products also have lower pHs which can help realign the beta and alpha bonds in your hair (the hydrogen bonds) which help control the elasticity and tensile strength.

Garnier works by using sugars and fruit acids. This is why it isn't protein overload but more like a case off too much cuticle restriction.

HTH

Hi Bttrfly70!

The protein condishes normally have in the ingredient list Hydrolyzed Soy, Vegetable, Keratin, Animal, Collagen, or Silk, Protein - also Wheat Protein but that can be found in both moisturizing and protein condishes - The protein condishes normally have "fortifying, restructuring on the bottle as well - also when reading the back of the bottle often times the when the description mentions "strengthening" ....(I know I am missing something)

Some good moisturizing condishes are (1st three are my personal favorites)
Kenra MC
AO HSR
Nexxus Humectress
Elucence MB
Silk Elements MegaSilk
CON Moisturizing
Lanza Moisture
Paul Mitchell Super Charged
Joico Moisture

Just to name a few ...HTH

Thank you so much! I am still learning and this really helped me alot!:drunk:

I wouldn't call Garnier a protein product. IDK. But I'm pretty sure it's not. Anyway, leaving a conditioner that is not a leave in is a big :nono:. However, I have left conditioners in my hair over night (too late or too lazy to rinse) but it was usually a conditioner that you would do a DC with not just your regular 2 minute, 5 minute conditioner. Definitely not the cheap conditoners that I would usually just do my co-wash or something else with. Also instead of reaching for a clarifying shampoo I would suggest using just baking soda and water. Some say you only need to do it like once a month. But I do it every week and my hair loves it. I just can't stand the thought of going into another week with a thin layer of something on my scalp. I put baking soda in a bottle of luke warm water. I use just enough to make the water a little cloudy. I'm not big on measuring. I fit the Baking Soda rinse in between rinsing out my MT and putting in my DC.
One more thing ...I know that some are gonna come out with the torches of fire on me behind this but... *whispering* I wouldn't tell anyone if you did your deep conditioner with a little heat. Shhhh,
I use one of those silver/gold caps for maybe an hour while I'm doing my housework or something and then I sit under the dryer for the last 15 minutes. I don't know about anyone else but doing my dc's with heat makes them more effective for me. I'm just sure to use a really good moisturizing leave-in afterward. I don't know how this will benefit/harm your recovery process but it works for me. I'm sure some more ladies will chime in with opinions about the dc'ing with heat. HTH

Garnier are not protein products. There is a difference between protein and fortifying which is why I didn't say protein overload.

Fortifying products are designed to help reinforce the hair cuticle, helping it lay flat and tight. Not always the same as a protein conditioner. Fortifying products work by using things like fruit acids, extracts of certain plants like bamboo, ceramides, polyacryliamide, sugars like glycoaminoglycans. They don't work exactly the same as protein products. Many fortifying products also have lower pHs which can help realign the beta and alpha bonds in your hair (the hydrogen bonds) which help control the elasticity and tensile strength.

Garnier works by using sugars and fruit acids. This is why it isn't protein overload but more like a case off too much cuticle restriction.

HTH

I swear you make me wanna change my major to chemistry all the time

That was the 1st time I have used the clarifying shampoo. My hair felt like it had build up on it. I am still searching for a really good moisturizing conditioner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:yawn:

If you have thick hair, I suggest Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask.

HTH

Thank you so much for this post, Gymfreak. I've always thought that glycosaminoglycans were heavy proteins & I've rejected several products that contain this ingredient as a result.

Question about proteins: Does "hydrolyzed" indicate whether something is a protein?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, Bttrfly70. Please forgive me.

I swear you make me wanna change my major to chemistry all the time

Come on over to the dark side >>Insert evil laugh<< :lol: Seriously, though, even if you want to just get a better understanding of proteins and the like, just take a biochem class or just get you a used biochem book:yep:

Thank you so much for this post, Gymfreak. I've always thought that glycosaminoglycans were heavy proteins & I've rejected several products that contain this ingredient as a result.

Question about proteins: Does "hydrolyzed" indicate whether something is a protein?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, Bttrfly70. Please forgive me.

Girl, I could shake you :lol: glycoaminoglycans are the bidness.

Basically, they are a type of carbohydrate, simliar to ceramides in function. They help proteins work more effectively.

Hydrolyzed just means that they have selectively broken up the proteins into smaller fragments based on molecular weight.

Girl, I could shake you :lol: glycoaminoglycans are the bidness.

Basically, they are a type of carbohydrate, simliar to ceramides in function. They help proteins work more effectively.

Hydrolyzed just means that they have selectively broken up the proteins into smaller fragments based on molecular weight.

Thanks so much, GymFreak. Your post gives me the courage I need to give Aphogee 2-min another try. I used the KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask on my last wash & I over-moisturized my hair. I'm hoping the Aphogee, which has glycoaminoglycans, will set things straight.

:nono: I am at a loss! I am not sure what it is that I am doing or not doing that is causing the breakage in my hair. My breakage had seemingly slowed down some. Not totally but some. This is what I did last night: Washed with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, followed that with Aphogee Deep Moisture shampoo, rinsed and applied Aphogee Keratin 2-minute Reconstructor (left on for 5 mins), rinsed and applied Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream conditioner. I left the Granier on over night with a plastic cap on (I washed my hair @ like 2 am and was too lazy to finish the process) well.....this is where it all came clear to me that something I did left my hair upset at me...I rinsed the conditioner out and applied Aphogee Leave-In, and sealed with coconut oil. I let my air dry about 90% and then used a cool blow dryer to finish drying (had errands to run) I had so much broken hair all over my counter and floor that it startled me! My ends are SO DRY that they feel like straw. Any ideas on what I did wrong or what I should try differently.....I am at a loss:wallbash:

It might be the overnight DC and the Suave might be too drying.

You broke that down something nice! Thank you! :grin:

I will always sing the praises of Nexxus Emergencee. If you want to stop breakage/ shedding dead in it's tracks, try this. To me it seems as you're doing too much. Sistalick taught me that you have to find a balance between moisture and protein. I tend to do moisturizing 70 % of the time and protein the other 30%. I use protein the week before a perm, the week after and when the shedding starts to kick up. You need to find your balance. I hope this helps.

Back