• ORS-lye

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Mizani-Lye

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Mizani-no lye/sensitive scalp

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

RubyWoo

For those of you that have used both relaxers, which did you prefer with respect to straightening ability, body, shine and silkiness? Please specify if you used the Lye or No-lye version? And please specify the strength you used (ex. Mild, regular, etc). Thank you!:)

Last edited:
I used ORS lye regular and I dont know if it was the porosity control protecting my ends or the castor oil on my scalp but it left me underproccessed with bushy hair and some loose sloppy curls. My hairdresser back in the day used Mizani on me and it was great, but who is to say if I did it myself like the ORS, it wouldnt have been a big mess. Hopefully some others chime in for you...good luck.

Mizani-no lye/sensitive scalp yup i love this relaxer...I been using it for about 3 years now. The first relaxer not to burn my scalp and my hair comes out silky smooth..yea i wouldn't want to lose a good thing.

ORS No-Lye (Regular Strength) :up: :up: My old hairstylist tried using the Mizani Mild & Sensitive Lye Relaxer on my hair some years ago, and it set my entire head on fire!!! :swearing: My teeth even felt like they were burning!!! Mizani...never, ever again. ORS is my bay-bee!!!

miracle said:
ORS No-Lye (Regular Strength) :up: :up: My old hairstylist tried using the Mizani Mild & Sensitive Lye Relaxer on my hair some years ago, and it set my entire head on fire!!! :swearing: My teeth even felt like they were burning!!! Mizani...never, ever again. ORS is my bay-bee!!!

With the Mizani, other than the burning, how did your hair turn out? Would you say you got similar results with both the ORS and Mizani?

BTW, thank you for you response.

Nixx said:
With the Mizani, other than the burning, how did your hair turn out? Would you say you got similar results with both the ORS and Mizani?

BTW, thank you for you response.

With the Mizani relaxer, my hair felt rather hard. My newgrowth actually had a "crunchy-brittle" feel to it...not smooth and straight at all, and my hair was extremely dull. I did end up with quite a few scalp burns, so quite a bit of my hair had stuck to my scalp and I had some breakage in those areas.

My results with ORS have been wonderful!!! :yep: :yep: My hair always comes out very soft & silky and has a wonderful sheen. Never any under/over processing, and no scalp burning or breakage.

Last edited:
ORS no lye.

Mizani burned too much and I don't like that at all. And it also made me bonestraight which I liked at the time, but now I don't.

Of course I am mizani all the way. I love the mizani mild for fine/color treated also the butter blend that just came out. I leaves my hair w/ a lot of body. It does get it straight w/o having to stay on for a long time. The only thing is that my crown doesnt get straight but I will never use anything above a mild due to my thin strands. I only had one issue w/ burning and that was this last relaxer and I knew I would because I rubbed the crap out of my scalp. Other than that if you base well and use the mild usually no problems at all. HTH

Of course I am mizani all the way. I love the mizani mild for fine/color treated also the butter blend that just came out. I leaves my hair w/ a lot of body. It does get it straight w/o having to stay on for a long time. The only thing is that my crown doesnt get straight but I will never use anything above a mild due to my thin strands. I only had one issue w/ burning and that was this last relaxer and I knew I would because I rubbed the crap out of my scalp. Other than that if you base well and use the mild usually no problems at all. HTH

Thanks girl ;)! I ended up trying ORS Reg Lye on my last touch up (which was excellent btw). However, I'm going to try the new Mizani (mild strength) on my next touch up. Hopefully it's a winner and it ends up being my staple relaxer :grin:.

*bumping* Because I am wondering the same question for my next touchup. I might go the cheaper route for now and try Mizani later...

Now that I've tried both, I can give my opinion. I have to say that hands down, Mizani is waayy better. I love ORS but Mizani is just amazing to me:love:. I didn't think I'd find a relaxer that I'd love more than ORS but I have and Mizani is hit. I haven't stopped singing it's praises..:lol:!

I used the mild strength and my hair was processed within 15 mins. The final results were almost straight hair with very loose waves:love:. My results just helped me decide to continue to texlax with Mizani. My hair was also very soft, silky and has tons of body. My hair can also straighten very easily w/o any heat needed. When I attempted to texlax with ORS(I attempted to do that in April and also had slightly underprocessed sections in my June and Sept. touchups), the results didn't come out like that at all. Nonetheless, the hair that turned out straight were silky, soft and had alot of body. Mizani was much gentler on my scalp than ORS. Based on my experiences with these two relaxers, I truly believe that all relaxers are not created equal.

Last edited:
ORS lye normal made my hair (well the new growth that i relaxed it with) really dry feeling......now i strictly use Mizani lye - normal formula and i aint neva eva strayin....unless the pj in me takes over like it has plenty of times before

ORS no lye extra strength is the best relaxer I've used. I added a few drops of olive oil to make sure I didn't over process my hair. No burning or scalp tenderness at all. My hair is beautifully strait and I have no regrets.:dance7:

I have used both ORS no-lye and mizani no-lye and mizani lye relaxers. I love both ORS relaxers and mizani lye relaxers. I found that the no-lye relaxers no matter which brand left my fine strands looking and feeling lifeless and dull.

I like Mizani lye relaxer much better which I add some evoo or almond oil to, and I believe the reason for that is that I follow Sistaslick's well guided steps to the relaxer, like low manipulation leading up to the relaxer day, protecting my hair strands with some type of oil or moisturizer (I use profectiv break free of Cantu break cure for this) basing properly with vaseline or some heavy petroleum type grease, the 5 minute protein pre-treatment, leaving the neutralizing shampoo's final wash on for 5 minutes, and increased protein moisturizing and treatments before, during and after the relaxer process.

Now I don't have anymore scalp burns, no more hair breakage, and my hair is softer and so much more manageable. I thank God that I found these important steps to the relaxer. I was ruining my hair by my lack of knowledge in dealing with my hair.

Back