ORS Lye had my head on fire....please help!

mrshicks2002

I am to disappointed with my realaxer this time around. This was my second time using the ORS lye and I dont know if it was because its so hot outside that it make it hotter in the house and my air was on 60...its just that hot here, but it had my head on fire to the point where after I was done putting the relaxer in I couldnt even smooth it down at all, it was just that bad. I am using the ORS lye normal relaxer.

I started using LYE last time because I was told that no-lye isnt healthy on the hair and gentle on the scalp, but lye is healthier for the hair.

I dont know if the next time I will have to go back to using No-Lye, but have anyone else had this problem and had to go back to using NO-LYE.

Can someone also tell me when is the earliest that I can do a corrective relaxer without overprocessing my hair.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Sweating earlier in the day could have been the culprit.

It burned me the last time only because I was going through a sore, itchy growth spurt and couldn't stop scratching.

I don't know the waiting period for a corrective though.

I am to disappointed with my realaxer this time around. This was my second time using the ORS lye and I dont know if it was because its so hot outside that it make it hotter in the house and my air was on 60...its just that hot here, but it had my head on fire to the point where after I was done putting the relaxer in I couldnt even smooth it down at all, it was just that bad. I am using the ORS lye normal relaxer.

I started using LYE last time because I was told that no-lye isnt healthy on the hair and gentle on the scalp, but lye is healthier for the hair.

I dont know if the next time I will have to go back to using No-Lye, but have anyone else had this problem and had to go back to using NO-LYE.

Can someone also tell me when is the earliest that I can do a corrective relaxer without overprocessing my hair.

I had the same horrible results when I used ORS lye as a corrective . I only left it on for 10 mins. though because it started burning. It left me underprocessed and dry. I waited about 4 wks. to get a corrective done with Optimum Care Bodifying for fine hair and my hair is in heaven. It didn't burn at all. Make sure u base your scalp w/vaseline if u do it yourself.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Sweating earlier in the day could have been the culprit.

It burned me the last time only because I was going through a sore, itchy growth spurt and couldn't stop scratching.

I don't know the waiting period for a corrective though.

Thanks for the advice.

I had the same horrible results when I used ORS lye as a corrective . I only left it on for 10 mins. though because it started burning. It left me underprocessed and dry. I waited about 4 wks. to get a corrective done with Optimum Care Bodifying for fine hair and my hair is in heaven. It didn't burn at all. Make sure u base your scalp w/vaseline if u do it yourself.

I couldnt even leave it on for 10 minutes...this is bad it was. I havent been sweating but I guess because its so hot my pores could have been open. I am not sure if I will be going with this relaxer again. I switched from No-lye to Lye, but I might have to go back to no-lye because that feeling that I had today was a good feeling at all.

I went to SALLEY'S BEAUTY SALON shoppin and soon i walked outside it :ohwell: soakin wet from all that rain:sad:
I got in front of the fan base my scalp stood in front of the mirror and did my retouch it came out fabously accept for a small couple of BURNS which i put some T-TREE OIL on it.

I'm sorry that happened to you! :burning:
I used ORS lye at least 4 times in the past, and it never burned me. Not once. Had you scratched and/or washed before you got your touchup?

Had you scratched and/or washed before you got your touchup?

And to add on, did you base your scalp?

I used ORS Reg Lye on my last touchup and I only burned where I my scalp got wet which wasn't much. Knowing that, next time I plan to base really(night before I relax and the day I relax) well and sit under a cool dryer to ensure the pores on my scalp are closed.

OMG I am so sorry to hear about your mishap! Your poor scalp. Lye is not for everyone I guess. You should wait 6 weeks before you correct it. I have been undeprocessed a FEW t/u and recently went and had it corrected at the 5 mark week. I had been deep conditioning like a fiend those 5 weeks though in preparation for it though. Here's another thread that will help you. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122927&highlight=corrective

I think the 5-6 week window is safe but hopefully some experts can also chime in.

I'm sorry that happened to you! :burning:
I used ORS lye at least 4 times in the past, and it never burned me. Not once. Had you scratched and/or washed before you got your touchup?

:grin: I was really laughing when I saw that face with the fire and this is just how I felt. Ya the last time I used it I didnt have a problem at all, but this time around it wasnt the same. I havent been scratching, but I did wash my hair on wednesday when I removed some cornrow braids.

And to add on, did you base your scalp?

I used ORS Reg Lye on my last touchup and I only burned where I my scalp got wet which wasn't much. Knowing that, next time I plan to base really(night before I relax and the day I relax) well and sit under a cool dryer to ensure the pores on my scalp are closed.

Yes I did, but I guess I didnt do a good job at it. Thanks for this idea I might have to try that next time. I really want to stick with the Lye and hopefully next time I wont have any problems.

OMG I am so sorry to hear about your mishap! Your poor scalp. Lye is not for everyone I guess. You should wait 6 weeks before you correct it. I have been undeprocessed a FEW t/u and recently went and had it corrected at the 5 mark week. I had been deep conditioning like a fiend those 5 weeks though in preparation for it though. Here's another thread that will help you. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122927&highlight=corrective

I think the 5-6 week window is safe but hopefully some experts can also chime in.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I will check it out now!

Awwww, that sucks! I hate when that happens. Before thinking of a corrective relaxer, make sure your scalp is thoroughly healed. Anywhere from 3 weeks plus should be fine to correct the under processed parts. If it's not that bad, some people leave it alone and on the next relaxer, the under processed parts would then become straight. Good luck.

Awwww, that sucks! I hate when that happens. Before thinking of a corrective relaxer, make sure your scalp is thoroughly healed. Anywhere from 3 weeks plus should be fine to correct the under processed parts. If it's not that bad, some people leave it alone and on the next relaxer, the under processed parts would then become straight. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Back