Order of Haircare

nadz

Ladies,
I've been reading up on proper haircare and I've seen different advice and viewpoints about the WHEN to do certain things. So my question is, in what order do you:

*use protein treatments/ reconstructors (to strengthen or stop breakage)
*clarify (to remove build up)
*deep condition/ steam/ hot oil treatments (to ultra moisturize)
*relax (if you do)?

I mean, is it better to clarify before or after relaxing? Is is better to do a protein treament before or after relaxing? etc. It seems that all these methods are good, but some can be counterproductive if done in a short timespan to another method.

How do you do it?

I usually clarify once a week to remove build up. I guess how often you clarify depends on how much build up you feel you have. I use light protein once a week and a heavy duty protein every 6 weeks. I use to use a heavy duty protein 1 week before a relaxer and a light protein 1 week aftewards or vice versa. But I've always found it was better for me to do a heavy duty protein a week after I relaxed. I deep condition once or twice a week.

nadz said:
*use protein treatments/ reconstructors (to strengthen or stop breakage)
*clarify (to remove build up)
*deep condition/ steam/ hot oil treatments (to ultra moisturize)
*relax (if you do)?

I mean, is it better to clarify before or after relaxing? Is is better to do a protein treament before or after relaxing? etc. It seems that all these methods are good, but some can be counterproductive if done in a short timespan to another method.

How do you do it?

you should clarify and do a mild protein treatment the week before your relaxer, and then right after the relaxer you clarify of course, and the week after that, i think it's good to do another mild protein treatment. Technically, I think it's better to do a mild protein treatment every 2 weeks, that way you dont have to try to keep track or wait till u get a lot of split ends/breakage before trying to fix it. By doing mild protein treatments often, you keep the hair strong, instead of giving it the opportunity of deteriorating.

You should clarify when you've got product buildup. If you dont know how to find that out, just do what i do. If you notice that none of your products are working, then it's time for a clarifying wash.That kinda happens once a month for me.

HTH. Good luck :)

Back