One Year Natural - The Good, Bad, Pretty, & Ugly

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I can't believe I didn't go natural sooner" is a line commonly used amongst us transitioners.

The Good The Pretty

As a natural....I experienced months of Bad Hair Free Days. Due to wash n go's....I was always able to refresh, fluff, and go. My hair looked good in whatever outfit I wanted to wear. I used to think I had to straighten my hair for going out/sexy styles but NO...my natural works with everything. Big Mohawks, awesome shrinkage, faux bags, high puffs, twisted up dos, shiny wash n go's, the list goes on. Why didn't I transition sooner? Wash n Gos for me was a protected styled hair look that IMO look done.

The Bad The Ugly

Being inpatient is not something you can be with natural hair. I found an awesome way to detangle my hair on YT which gave me awesome retention: HOWEVER!!!! When I was in a rush...I detangled on 3 week old, dry hair with my fingers and broke so much hair off....*sigh* it's bad. Being natural, you can masque your damage like relaxed hair. It shows in your shrinkage, the way your strands curl, clump, and coil. Damage can happen instantly.

Tips I Learned Along The Way
~~High Porosity 3b/3c/4a~~

1. Use a microfiber or tshirt to soak up water from your hair prior to deep conditioning. Hi-Po hair will absorb more conditioner than water.
2. When brushing (I used Denman, now I use BASS) your hair...brush with the brush the long way...not on the side. This reduces tugging and breakage and encourages curl clumping.
3. Wash with a lot of water pressure. I love this shower pressure, it helps detangles from my scalp to ends. Just the pressure from the water I feel like it kept my hair easy to detangle in the shower.
4. Cleanse your roots. This helps prevent matted looking roots. You'll have even curls from the root to tips.
5. Prepoo: for me since my Hi-Po hair likes to pull moisture from the air, prepooing with a moisture product, wrapped in Saran Wrap allows my hair to do just that. Paired with the shower pressure, I can pretty much finger detangle.
6. Don't go more than 1 week without detangling. My bad experience with going with 2+ weeks without detangling, gave me tons of SSKs, I'm impatient, neck & arm hurt, longer shower (not enough hot water for 3 week old hair).
7. Always detangle the hair, stretching the ends with a slippie conditioner like Aussie. This helps reduce the chances of your hair knotting on your curly ends.

Ladies....I hope this help. I learned from my mistakes so hopefully you can learn from mine

I can't believe I didn't go natural sooner" is a line commonly used amongst us transitioners.

The Good The Pretty

As a natural....I experienced months of Bad Hair Free Days. Due to wash n go's....I was always able to refresh, fluff, and go. My hair looked good in whatever outfit I wanted to wear. I used to think I had to straighten my hair for going out/sexy styles but NO...my natural works with everything. Big Mohawks, awesome shrinkage, faux bags, high puffs, twisted up dos, shiny wash n go's, the list goes on. Why didn't I transition sooner? Wash n Gos for me was a protected styled hair look that IMO look done.

The Bad The Ugly

Being inpatient is not something you can be with natural hair. I found an awesome way to detangle my hair on YT which gave me awesome retention: HOWEVER!!!! When I was in a rush...I detangled on 3 week old, dry hair with my fingers and broke so much hair off....*sigh* it's bad. Being natural, you can masque your damage like relaxed hair. It shows in your shrinkage, the way your strands curl, clump, and coil. Damage can happen instantly.

Tips I Learned Along The Way
~~High Porosity 3b/3c/4a~~

1. Use a microfiber or tshirt to soak up water from your hair prior to deep conditioning. Hi-Po hair will absorb more conditioner than water.
2. When brushing (I used Denman, now I use BASS) your hair...brush with the brush the long way...not on the side. This reduces tugging and breakage and encourages curl clumping.
3. Wash with a lot of water pressure. I love this shower pressure, it helps detangles from my scalp to ends. Just the pressure from the water I feel like it kept my hair easy to detangle in the shower.
4. Cleanse your roots. This helps prevent matted looking roots. You'll have even curls from the root to tips.
5. Prepoo: for me since my Hi-Po hair likes to pull moisture from the air, prepooing with a moisture product, wrapped in Saran Wrap allows my hair to do just that. Paired with the shower pressure, I can pretty much finger detangle.
6. Don't go more than 1 week without detangling. My bad experience with going with 2+ weeks without detangling, gave me tons of SSKs, I'm impatient, neck & arm hurt, longer shower (not enough hot water for 3 week old hair).
7. Always detangle the hair, stretching the ends with a slippie conditioner like Aussie. This helps reduce the chances of your hair knotting on your curly ends.

Ladies....I hope this help. I learned from my mistakes so hopefully you can learn from mine

Beautiful hair. Thanks for sharing.

How did you know you are high porosity?.

I am always curious about naturals that have high porosity hair. I used to be high porosity when I was natural a few years ago and wore braid extensions all the time. This time natural and I am now 2.5 years into my journey, I was high porosity due to my dyeing my hair early on, but now that almost all of the color is trimmed off my hair is back to low porosity with a few mixed porosity spots.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Beautiful hair. Thanks for sharing.

How did you know you are high porosity?.

I am always curious about naturals that have high porosity hair. I used to be high porosity when I was natural a few years ago and wore braid extensions all the time. This time natural and I am now 2.5 years into my journey, I was high porosity due to my dyeing my hair early on, but now that almost all of the color is trimmed off my hair is back to low porosity with a few mixed porosity spots.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I've done the strand test...my roots float but my length crashed to the bottom. I have hair issues related to HP as well. Hopefully with time...i will be normal.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 29
Back