One way to prevent relaxer breakage

CatSuga

..........Stretching. :lachen:

Alot of people are confused about relaxer stretching and the damage that can be caused by relaxing every month.

Lets say that a strand of hair is like a rope, that you are hanging off a mountain on the end of the rope.

The rope: ---> __________________ <---

The rope in it's natural form is strong and will keep you from falling to your death. Now lets say that they rope has 1 weak spot (the x marks the weak spot).

The rope with 1 weak spot: ___________x__________

Yeah, it's just one weak spot....but you're ok because it has just enough strenght to keep you from falling.

Now, what if the rope has 12 weak spots...............

12 weak spots: __x__x__x__x__x__x__x__x__x__x__x__x

That rope ain't gonna hold you. You are going to fall and die.

That's how the hair is. The "x" marks that very small spot of unavoidable overlapping. If you relax every month, you have 12 areas of "weak spots" on a single hair shaft. Because there isn't enough strong hair in between the weak spots, they don't have enough strength and can't hold on. This is the one of the main causes of relaxer BREAKAGE.

The whole idea of stretching relaxers isn't so you'll have less weak spots (ex. you've been streaching for 3yrs only relaxing 4x a yr., you'll have the same number of weak spots as someone who relaxes 12x a yr.).

It's so that you'll have enough strong hair in between the weak spots. Now, if your hair grows 1-2 inches a month and you have hair type 2-3b hair, you'll be alright taking the risk of relaxing every month because (a) you have enough newgrowth to lessen the amount of overlapping and (b) you can see and apply a touch-up to just about the full lenght of your new growth.

But if your hair grows only between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch per month and you have type 3c-4b that is prone to shrinkage, you run the risk of seriously overlapping if you relax every month.

Our hair rope relaxed 6x a yr. ____x____x____x____x____x____x

Our hair rope relaxed 4x a yr. ______x_______x_______x_______x

And for the very brave............. our hair rope relaxed 2x a year. _________x__________x_________

Also, lets look at the difference between 1/4 and a whole inch.

962xm.png

For the metrically inclined, the blue dot is 1/4, yellow 1/2, and pink is 1 inch. 1/4 ain't that much. And if you have shrinkage associated with type 4 hair, it won't even be that much.

*******This public service anouncment has been brought to you by: Naturals for Relaxers.....cause we don't playa hate, we motivate.********

Last edited:
((Applause, applause)). Great visuals CatSuga, and a great tutorial. This actually help me out, and I'm not even getting a relaxer! :)

But you just kill me Cat...your tag line had me... :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

awesome visual! some ppl were wondering the effects of stretching and that will really help them too

secretdiamond said:
so the 'x' spots are spots where you would have overlapping?

Exactly!

Good explanation, Catsuga. :up:

I was trying to do the 4 times (12 weeks) a year thing, but I'll have to do 5 times (10 weeks). Too much of my 4 a/b new growth can be murder for a stylist to work through.

For those who haven't attempted to stretch yet I say build up to it.

My first time stretching was more than 4 months and it hurt like crazy getting it relaxed. I had demarcation line breakage during this stretch as well. I was mainly trying to stretch that long to let my slow growing areas acquire enough new growth and avoid overlapping. It made the rest of my hair suffer though.

The second time was 12 weeks and it still was too much new growth to work through. Now I'm doing every 10 weeks and I think that will give me enough new growth, but not so much that it's heck to work through.

Y'alls iz welcome.

Not that y'all didn't know this info anyway. :look:
I made for those on BHM and just posted here too.

Exactly!

Good explanation, Catsuga. :up:

I was trying to do the 4 times (12 weeks) a year thing, but I'll have to do 5 times (10 weeks). Too much of my 4 a/b new growth can be murder for a stylist to work through.

For those who haven't attempted to stretch yet I say build up to it.

My first time stretching was more than 4 months and it hurt like crazy getting it relaxed. I had demarcation line breakage during this stretch as well. I was mainly trying to stretch that long to let my slow growing areas acquire enough new growth and avoid overlapping. It made the rest of my hair suffer though.

The second time was 12 weeks and it still was too much new growth to work through. Now I'm doing every 10 weeks and I think that will give me enough new growth, but not so much that it's heck to work through.

I'm exactly the same way!
It's murder for the stylist when I stretch for so long and murder for me too!
I'm hoping maybe henna will help!
Thanks! Very nice!! LOL at the tagline
I wish stretching for longer than 10 weeks wasn't so hard for me!
I guess you really do have to build up to it!

I was one of those girls that got perms every month because I thought it would cause less breakage since my hair would only be one texture. I will definitly trying strecthing out my perm but I like my hair to be straight. I don't want to apply direct heat to my hair so what is there that I can do in-between perms?

I use to do a relaxer every 3 months and my hair never grew past apl it would always break, that's why I'm transitioning right now ( no weak spots).

A girlfriend of mine told me that she was told by her hair dresser to relax every month; and she was wondering if relaxing so often was the culprit behind her hair breakage issues. This would be a perfect visual for her.

Back