One side of my hair A LOT longer than the other

LdyKamz

I HATE the right side of my head! I wanted to wear my hair out tomorrow after bunning for 3 weeks straight. I never use heat on my hair not even a blow dryer. Only time I get get is when my stylist uses it and I see her once every 3 months. Since I am relaxed I usually slap a head band on after I wash and let my hair air dry. I like the thick full look I get from that. But tomorrow we are having a special breakfast at work and I wanted something more sleek so I wanted to flat iron. After I finished it looked nice but I could see a considerable difference in length from one side to the other. The left side is progressing nicely but the right not so much. :sad: I am so upset. This has always been an issue but it seems like it is getting worse. I don't want to end up with APL on the left side and shoulder length on the right:nono:. And I would hate to think of how many times I will have to have my hair cut just to even things out along the way.

Like I said, I never use heat. Only once every 3 months when I visit my stylist and she does the roller set blow out and flat iron. I co wash daily, clarify, protein treatment and dc weekly. I have practically no breakage, bun daily, on the weekends I do lots of small pin curls to give my hair a curly fro look so no rubbing on clothes or anything. Shedding a little lately along with an itchy scalp and still figuring out what to do about that. But how do I speed up the growth on the other side. At least help it catch up. Any ideas? This is at least a 1.5-2 inch difference. But it might as well be 3+ since I feel like I can't wear my hair out.

Last edited:
Could that be the side that you sleep on majority of then time? Maybe play in that side more?

One side of my hair grows faster, I just baby that side more...make sure it gets all the special treatment.

Haven't figured out a reason, just seems to be how it is.

I had this same problem too. My right side was thicker and longer. Turns out I sleep on my left side all the time. So the left side of my hair was thinner and not as much growth. Once I stopped doing that I noticed it getting better. Now I am more conscious of how I sleep.

I think it has something to do with the blood flow

Which way do you wrap your ponytail or fan your hair around your bun. Also, my right side grows faster than my left where its a noticeable difference but I don't experience breakage. The only way I could see any damage occurring is if your hair was getting caught in the scrunchies, and/or the direction your tuck your ends under your bun.

I wrap/fan my hair into a bun (right, back, left, front) and I notice my right side has visible split ends, frizz and my left side lays full, smooth, and round. Hope this makes sense.

Do you wrap your hair the same way every night? Bun on the same side? That used to be the cause of my uneven hair relaxed, and natural. I'm finally evened out now but that was because of diligently moving my styles around, as well as babying the shorter areas.

I usually pull my hair back and kind of twist the ponytail and put the scrunchie on loosley. But I guess I do twist it toward the right and I do sleep on my right side a lot. So what do I do? Baby the right side, alternate the way I twist and try to sleep on my back? Sounds easy enough except the sleeping thing. I'm still upset.

Yea......I would try alternating the way you twist your buns up....the sleep thing is kinda hard....cause I can sleep all night not knowing my scarf came off.

I would twist the opposite way for awhile just to see if you can see a difference in the way your bun looks. Trial and error Kammy. ;D Good Luck

So I am currently 5 weeks post and on the left side of my hair I have at least an inch of new growth and on the right side I have the normal 0.5. Looks like the alternating hasn't helped me much just yet. Fingers crossed. I have another 7 weeks before I relax again and I am scared to see what it will look like.

Doesn't sound like you have a retention issue but something internal that's going on. Changing how you wrap your hair isn't going to affect your hair growth.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza

Perhaps getting an analysis will help you figure out whats going on and pinpoint what changes (if any) you can use. Good Luck!

Yes! I have read that thread from beginning to end and I subscribed. But LHCF shut komaza down! They are all sold out and I have been checking back for a couple weeks and every time it says they are sold out check back in 48 hours. :lachen:I asked if anyone knew when this would be fixed and someone emailed them and asked but still hasn't heard back. I will continue to stalk that thread and komaza until I get the analysis. Haha

Back