One quick question...somebody PLEASE answer it...PLEASE

rainbowknots

If I only wait 48 hrs before washing my hair and getting a relaxer, will that damage my hair? I washed my hair yesterday but I HAVE to get a relaxer tomorrow.

that should be ok as long as its not the same day two days is good enough if not your scalp will burn off and then you will know for sure.

when I worked at a salon, this one girl washed her hair like the day before and her scalp was BURNING, her whole face was red. I know you said 2 days but i would suggest waiting at least 4 or 5 days to give your scalp a rest.

I've washed my hair up to 2-3 days before a retouch. I didn't burn at all but you have to be sure you are handling your scalp gently when you wash close to a relaxer. If you "scritched" and really got in a scalp massage during your last wash, I would hold off on that relaxer because then it will burn like crazy, guaranteed.

I cowashed 2 days prior to my last relaxer and the gates of hell opened on my scalp. The debil is a lie! If you do it, base the crap out of your scalp.

Lol, you are a trip cheezy. It just goes to prove everyone is different.....I have relaxed with in 48 hours of a touch up with no problems at all.

I don't want to go against Honeyrain, but I've permed my hair 24 hours after eashing my hair. Nothing happened. I guess results vary from person to person.

when I worked at a salon, this one girl washed her hair like the day before and her scalp was BURNING, her whole face was red. I know you said 2 days but i would suggest waiting at least 4 or 5 days to give your scalp a rest.

I got a relaxer 48 hours after washing and I was on fire. :perplexed

I would wait AT LEAST 3 days but more is better in my case. You don't want your scalp to burn.

thank you for asking this question OP, because I planned on relaxing today (and i washed 2 days ago). ha ha. so, i may just wait till friday to do it, just to be on the safe side seeing as how this is my first time self relaxing and all. I want the best possible experience. Plus it will be friday and i won't have to rush.

if u have to relax in the next four hours i would prolly say slap on some grease on your scalp to help prevent some scalp burn and im talkin the grease that is a no no here on lhcf mineral oil and all clog up them pores so at least there is some separation btwn the relaxer and your scalp.
hth

I've washed my hair up to 2-3 days before a retouch. I didn't burn at all but you have to be sure you are handling your scalp gently when you wash close to a relaxer. If you "scritched" and really got in a scalp massage during your last wash, I would hold off on that relaxer because then it will burn like crazy, guaranteed.

I agree with bolded. I posed a similar question a few weeks back when I was relaxing, and I got a spectrum of answers. One person even said she always washes the day of her relaxer and that's the only way that she doesn't get burned. Anyway, I was spritzing my hair and scalp daily with a water based spray and i decided to stop 48hrs before relaxing because I was scared. Well lo and behold...come perm day I tried to perm in two sections, because my Mom was doing it and she's not used to perming my hair. I ended up however, getting tons of water in the unrelaxed part (because we were both klutzy:sad:) and I was so scared, because half my head still had to be done. Half my head was relaxed and half was just wet, and I couldn't walk around half relaxed. So I blow dried my hair and about an hour later did the rest. No burning at all! I was shocked. I did however, base like a mad woman and was VERY hands off with my scalp the week prior. But just to let you know, water an hour before did nothing to me and I was surprised.

Oh yeah, I also used Phyto II and added about 2 tablespoons of oil. Don't know if this had anything to do with it as well.

Last edited:
Back