One of the 7 deadly sins Gluttony...........but what it Gluttony?

Qualitee

Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste. In some Christian denominations, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.
Gluttony is not universally considered a sin; depending on the culture, it can be seen as either a vice or a sign of status. The relative affluence of the society can affect this view both ways. A wealthy group might take pride in the security of having enough food to eat to show it off, but it could also result in a moral backlash when confronted with the reality of those less fortunate.

1. Eating before the time of meal in order to satisfy the palate.
Biblical example: Jonathan eating a little honey, when his father Saul commanded no food to be taken before the evening. 2. Seeking delicacies and better quality of food to gratify the "vile sense of taste."
Biblical example: When Israelites escaping from Egypt complained, "Who shall give us flesh to eat ? We remember the fish which we did eat in Egypt freely ; the cucumbers and the melons, and the leeks and the onions and the garlic," God rained fowls for them to eat but punished them 500 years later. 3. Seeking after sauces and seasonings for the enjoyment of the palate.
Biblical example: Two sons of Eli the high priest made the sacrificial meat to be cooked in one manner rather than another. They were met with death. 4. Exceeding the necessary amount of food.
Biblical example: One of the sins of Sodom was "fullness of bread." 5. Taking food with too much eagerness, even when eating the proper amount, and even if the food is not luxurious.
Biblical example: Esau selling his birthright for ordinary food of bread and pottage of lentils. His punishment was that the "profane person . . . who, for a morsel of meat sold his birthright," we learn that " he found no place for repentance, though he sought it carefully, with tears." The fifth way is worse than all others, said St. Gregory, because it shows attachment to pleasure most clearly among others. To recapitulate, St. Gregory the Great said that one may succumb to the sin of gluttony by:
  1. Time (when)
  2. Quality
  3. Stimulants
  4. Quantity
  5. Eagerness
St. Thomas Aquinas reiterated the list of six ways to commit gluttony:
  • Praepropere - eating too soon.
  • Laute - eating too expensively (washedly).
  • Nimis - eating too much.
  • Ardenter - eating too eagerly (burningly).
  • Studiose - eating too daintily (keenly).
  • Forente - eating wildly (boringly).
----------------------------------------------------------

So does that mean overweight people who caused themselves to be over weight might go to hell because of it?

Is it wrong to snack?

Does this mean we shouldn't enjoy our food?

Does this mean we shouldnt spend too much money on food?

And most importantly ,Are this rules under law or grace?

Gluttony is terrible. And usually a sin we conveniently forget while we talk about abortion and homosexuality

< I need to print this out for review >

I always thought gluttony was overeating - never considered it in these terms.

oooo weee... good post ! I also heard that the power of the tongue includes gluttony, and not just spoken words. :yep:

Interesting post:yep: ...I don't know all of the answers although this topic has been discussed by me and various groups of friends before.

So does that mean overweight people who caused themselves to be over weight might go to hell because of it? I don't know. I do know that as believers God wants us to take excellent care of our bodies b/c his spirit lives in them. We use these bodies to function on earth. Being unhealthy (ie overweight) can cause all types of medical issues that can eventually lead us to premature death. This in turn could interrupt (so to speak) God's plan for our life. The arguement has been made also that gluttony in the form of overeating is a form of suicide. Slow suicide but suicide none-the-less. That leads to another arguement- Does committing suicide mean the perpetrator is condemned to hell? I don't know. Just some points we discussed.

Is it wrong to snack?
IMHO -no. I would say why you are snacking (emotionally distraught so you snack instead of seeking God for help), what you are snacking on( fruits and yogart or chips and candy bars- how much, how often), how the snack was prepared (fried, loaded w/preservatives, white sugar, fat, etc) all contribute to whether your snacking is good and profitable for your total well being.

IMHO I think we should enjoy our food. Food like anything else cannot become an idol god though. if we were not supposed to enjoy our food I don't see why God would have put such a variety of food sources and seasonings here all around us.

Yes, but that is just in general. We shouldn't overspend b/c when God instructs us to help others we won't have anything left. In our country(even in the midst of the 'recession') we spend a large % of our income on food- specifically eating out. That number is even higher in the AA community where it has been well documented showing how much we spend on things whose value is depleted upon purchase or shortly thereafter.

Good question. Since I'm not aware of any biblical scriptures that specifically list '7 deadly sins' as a group or category I'm not sure...I have seen information that led me to believe this was largely a part/belief of Catholicism and the sins are definitely things we all are faced with. I think this sin this is relevant but I don't know if we can saw it is biblical in the sense that it would fall under the grouping of law or grace- but I don't know. I would love to hear the opinions of some other ladies on this topic...

in answer to your 1st 4 questions - No. gluttony it is exactly what your 1st paragraph said:

over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste. a misplaced desire of food

your 5th question: since this is largely a Catholic belief not a protestant one, it is under neither b/c it is not a direct commandment (ie 10 commandments) nor is is an instruction of/from Jesus (or even Paul for that matter).

I think that some of the examples in the article are pointing out acts mimicking idol worship during the times they happened. For example, there was a religious pagan act to boil a baby kid it's mother's millk, hence now the fence law to prohibit mixing milk from meat so not to approximate that worship of a false g-d. Maybe those examples actually dealt with acts of false worship concerning food with non-Jews, so for them to disobey was something serious. Cultural and historical context as well as specific circumstances...I'm not aware of those specific ones. But when I'm thinking about the gluttony, I think of the hedonistic Romans and ancient Persians and their misuse of food solely for pleasure.

Do overweight people go to hell? If someone is convicted of the act of gluttony and they partake of it, it's sin. Venial or mortal? Overeating at a picnic? I think it relates to something much more serious. It could be a mortal sin if the person has full knowledge of it and does not repent...but that'd be a various serious situation.
who's to say where the cutoff is?

There are people with emotional and physical conditions leading to misuse of food. I think we should all be aware that we're not to worship food but I don't think a person will go to hell for having an eating disorder or occasionally overeating, nor in taking pleasure in eating. Afterall, food and spices are meant to arouse the senses and be enjoyed. They are talking about something else. Adding onions and liking the taste is not gluttony. That's not quite the same as a mortal sin.

Last edited:
Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste. In some Christian denominations, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.
Gluttony is not universally considered a sin; depending on the culture, it can be seen as either a vice or a sign of status. The relative affluence of the society can affect this view both ways. A wealthy group might take pride in the security of having enough food to eat to show it off, but it could also result in a moral backlash when confronted with the reality of those less fortunate.

1. Eating before the time of meal in order to satisfy the palate.
Biblical example: Jonathan eating a little honey, when his father Saul commanded no food to be taken before the evening. 2. Seeking delicacies and better quality of food to gratify the "vile sense of taste."
Biblical example: When Israelites escaping from Egypt complained, "Who shall give us flesh to eat ? We remember the fish which we did eat in Egypt freely ; the cucumbers and the melons, and the leeks and the onions and the garlic," God rained fowls for them to eat but punished them 500 years later. 3. Seeking after sauces and seasonings for the enjoyment of the palate.
Biblical example: Two sons of Eli the high priest made the sacrificial meat to be cooked in one manner rather than another. They were met with death. 4. Exceeding the necessary amount of food.
Biblical example: One of the sins of Sodom was "fullness of bread." 5. Taking food with too much eagerness, even when eating the proper amount, and even if the food is not luxurious.

Biblical example: Esau selling his birthright for ordinary food of bread and pottage of lentils. His punishment was that the "profane person . . . who, for a morsel of meat sold his birthright," we learn that " he found no place for repentance, though he sought it carefully, with tears." The fifth way is worse than all others, said St. Gregory, because it shows attachment to pleasure most clearly among others. To recapitulate, St. Gregory the Great said that one may succumb to the sin of gluttony by:
  1. Time (when)
  2. Quality
  3. Stimulants
  4. Quantity
  5. Eagerness
St. Thomas Aquinas reiterated the list of six ways to commit gluttony:
  • Praepropere - eating too soon.
  • Laute - eating too expensively (washedly).
  • Nimis - eating too much.
  • Ardenter - eating too eagerly (burningly).
  • Studiose - eating too daintily (keenly).
  • Forente - eating wildly (boringly).
----------------------------------------------------------

So does that mean overweight people who caused themselves to be over weight might go to hell because of it?

Is it wrong to snack?

IMO Gluttony is anything in excess. To the bolded, overweight people are not the only people that commit this sin. Naturally skinny people and overweight people both use food for reasons other than vital nourishment. ( I'll say it again and again: It is a myth that someone that weighs more automatically eats more) In fact, I don't know one human being that has never ate a dish simply because they craved it or it smelled good- not one.
Based on scriptures I've read and sermons I've heard, God's grace is sufficient for ALL sins. This is why we repent for the sins we commit unconciously as well.

If we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us oursins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. 1John 1:9

Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Psalm 86:5

"I will cleanse them from ALL their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon ALL their iniquities; whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me," saith the Lord.
Jeremiah 33:8

Who is God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgressions of the remnant of his heritage? He retaineth not his anger forever, because he delighteth in mercy. Micah 7:18

Back