One case of permanent hair loss from Optimum relaxer

breezy said:
Wow, until my last relaxer, I've used Optimum relaxers for almost ten years and have never had any averse effects. I'm really sorry this happened to her...but I thought everyone knew that you have to neutralize after relaxing? And the idea that the directions just said to rinse seems a bit sketchy to me.

This doesn't make me think twice about relaxing b/c I always do my strand test and follow directions to a T.
Me neither

Also..if she was relaxing since 12 (such as myself) didn't she know, whether in the directions or not, that she needed to shampoo with a neutralizing shampoo?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
It doesn't make me think twice.

Her first mistake was she didn't even make sure she had everything she needed b4 relaxing.
2nd mistake she applied from root to tip :eek: .
3rd mistake she left it on longer after her head was already on fire scared it wouldn't be "straight enough" :perplexed
Now if it took months for her to notice she was loosing hair, how many more root to tip, head on fire applications did she do b4 she ended up like that pic. For we know she was probably relaxing every 4-6 wks, and each time leaving it on long enough to get it super straight, head on fire and all. Not to count all the times she didn't use a neutralizing shampoo. :ohwell:

Now that is crazy and I don't feel sorry for her.
EXCELLENT POINT!!

Whilst I am terribly sympathetic, I don't understand why she didn't do a strand test first. EVERY relaxer recommends strand tests for first time applications.

sounds dodgy to me. i'd have to leave relaxer on my head for the best part of an hour for that to happen. even half an hour with a forgetful stylist doesn't make people go bald.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
It doesn't make me think twice.

Her first mistake was she didn't even make sure she had everything she needed b4 relaxing.
2nd mistake she applied from root to tip :eek: .
3rd mistake she left it on longer after her head was already on fire scared it wouldn't be "straight enough" :perplexed
Now if it took months for her to notice she was loosing hair, how many more root to tip, head on fire applications did she do b4 she ended up like that pic. For we know she was probably relaxing every 4-6 wks, and each time leaving it on long enough to get it super straight, head on fire and all. Not to count all the times she didn't use a neutralizing shampoo. :ohwell:

Now that is crazy and I don't feel sorry for her.
My thoughts exactly! I agree with your entire post. She messed up royally and wants the manufacturer to pay for her mistakes. Ain't gonna happen.

Back