On the verge of doing a touch up

DangerouslyShy

I wanted to wait at least 12 weeks, but my hair is super nappy right now...

its gettign a little overwhelming...

Should I relax or should i just wait a few more weeks?

here are a few pics of why i am feeling like i cant stretch any longer its getting hard to control. especially the crown area.

DSCF1297-vi.jpg

DSCF1300-vi.jpg

my last touch up was Jun 4th...

LoL my hair looks just like yours! I am 9 weeks post and I will be waiting until I am 12 weeks post to relax...How are you styling your hair right now?? Are you CO washing more often to keep the NG moist and and your hair detangled??

Girl, yes i have been co-washing every other day...i detangle, using salerm ....I am 8 weeks post today...

i detangle than it gets tangles again...i have been wearing a ponytail..as far as styling goes...

I feel the same way and I am only 7 weeks post (this Sunday). I am very tempted to relax next week at 8 weeks post.

I have very thick 4a, with some 4b and it is hard to handle on wash day. I am currently styling my hair in a bun, which looks decent after putting on a scarf and airdrying. BUT...again detangling after washing and conditioning is hell. I want to make it to 12 weeks so bad. I honestly don't see how the ladies that got 12, 16 or more weeks post do it, because I am very frustrated right now.

LiqueXX said:
I feel the same way and I am only 7 weeks post (this Sunday). I am very tempted to relax next week at 8 weeks post.

I have very thick 4a, with some 4b and it is hard to handle on wash day. I am currently styling my hair in a bun, which looks decent after putting on a scarf and airdrying. BUT...again detangling after washing and conditioning is hell. I want to make it to 12 weeks so bad. I honestly don't see how the ladies that got 12, 16 or more weeks post do it, because I am very frustrated right now.
yes having to co-wash every other day is hard because its hard to handle when wet, i want to be gentle with detangling, but sometimes i need to use a little force..so to say....i dont want it to break because i want to retain as much length...

im using my bone comb to detangle, i dont lose much hair because of BBD Stretch...

I would say if it's breaking relax because the breakage won't make up for the fact that you waited 12 wks.

We relaxed on the same day. I can't hang...I get my creamy crack on Saturday...11:30 AM to be exact. Its been hectic not co-washing the last few days, but I've been tying it down at night with water and MNT Moisturizing conditioner and surprisingly it doesn't look half bad.

When I stretch, frequent washing is a big no-no. It only adds to the madness and is counter-productive in my opinion. I relax every 16 weeks and only wash my hair once a week with every other week being at a salon.

If your hair is starting to break, then I suggest you relax. But if you want to continue stretching I would recommend that you stop washing so frequently. HTH :)

JenniferMD said:
When I stretch, frequent washing is a big no-no. It only adds to the madness and is counter-productive in my opinion. I relax every 16 weeks and only wash my hair once a week with every other week being at a salon.

If your hair is starting to break, then I suggest you relax. But if you want to continue stretching I would recommend that you stop washing so frequently. HTH :)

I am in complete agreement with JenniferMD.

I thought I could not stretch my relaxer without braids. I used to go every 6 weeks religiously. But from the tips I learned here and my dominican wash and sets and my CHI flat iron I can now easily stretch to 9 weeks. And I don't even have to go to the salon every week. I would just get the roots straightened with a combo of a wash and set and then flat iron the roots. This way the 2 textures blend. After that try not to mess with your hair too much. I also use bone combs and this helps to significantly reduce breakage at the line of demarcation. I also use a little s-curl mixed with a little WGO at the hair line to soften the naps.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am 8 weeks post and I'm going to get a perm on Sunday. My hair is very fine and I started to get some breakage last week. I did a deep condition with ORS Hair Mayo and the breakage stopped somewhat. I could probably wait another week but I dont want the breakage to get too bad.

Back