On the Right Track: Throwing Away All Products Containing Alcohol?

Royal Glory

Good afternoon ladies,

I am new to LHCF and am looking foward to applying the wonderful ideas on this site to my hair care goals.

My shoulder-length, layered, relaxed hair WAS dry, damaged and breaking. But I have been treating it with a lot of extra TLC for the past couple of months including deep conditioning, reduced heat styling, frequent shampooing and moisturizing. And using almond oil and jojoba oil to the ends and been more careful in applying touch ups ONLY TO NEW GROWTH. I have seen a remarkable difference.

I have started throwing away all of my hair care products that have alcohol of ANY kind listed as one of the ingredients and only purchase products that do not contain it (other than relaxer). Am I on the right track or is the need to avoid alcohol ingredients a hair products myth?

Some alcohols are moisturizing. There is a difference between those and the kind that dry your hair out.

An example would be cetearyl alchohol. To my knowledge, it keeps the hair really moist.

Cosigning with Goldensensation. Some of the bad alcohols are alcohol denat, and some more that I cant think of right now. But some are good. Try doing a search, and you should find a detailed list of the good and bad ones.:)

goldensensation said:
Some alcohols are moisturizing. There is a difference between those and the kind that dry your hair out.

An example would be cetearyl alchohol. To my knowledge, it keeps the hair really moist.

What she said. go back through the trash and save some of those products! They may not be bad for your hair.

I think really old fashioned products that are straight up mineral oil and petrolatum based are not so good for your hair if you never wash and clarify. But the, some naturals swear by them.:)

Royal Glory said:
Am I on the right track or is the need to avoid alcohol ingredients a hair products myth?
Yes, and no. Fatty alcohols are not bad; they are used to bind ingredients together, or we would have to mix products everytime we used them. Also, they can help give a product slip (the famous, but discontinued, Daily Defense Tender Apple was loaded with fatty alcohols and silicones). Now, some people say they create a waxy build-up, but clarifying can help there. Do you think you had product overload?

Thank you all for your feedback! I will take the time to learn the difference between the good and bad and figure out what to keep in my regime.

Back