OMG please give me detangling tips...Im abusing the blowdryer

Ayeshia

Okay Im noticng now that my hair is a freaking CHORE to detangle. I detangle in the shower with tons of conditioner and everything is fine.....after I rinse the condioner out I detangle again....everything is fine....and then when I air dry my ends are fine but the roots are horrible. It seems like the only way to actually be able to comb my hair is if I blow it out. I know that I wont have any hair if I keep doing that. Is there any other way to go about detangling dry hair. I cant kep wetting my hair..and I know that natural hair isn't supposed to be combed all the time. But the longer I go between coming the worse it gets. And I cant wet it all the time becasue it is too cold and my hair takes forever to dry /images/graemlins/frown.gif I dont now what else to do /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I feel for you. You may not have a choice but to put some type of light oil (maybe jojoba) on it and use a wide tooth comb (or your fingers)and take your time. Your roots will always shrink moreso before your ends will (I have this same problem).

[ QUOTE ]
laketta said:
I feel for you. You may not have a choice but to put some type of light oil (maybe jojoba) on it and use a wide tooth comb (or your fingers)and take your time. Your roots will always shrink moreso before your ends will (I have this same problem).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I take my time because I sure dont want to hear that snapping noise when Im coming. I'll be sure to try some oil like you suggested. I have some coconut and kemi oil that I need to get rid of..thank you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

S-Curl is an excellent detangler for me. So is Fantasia IC moisturizing activator gel. I usually put one of these on my hair, massage it in, fingercomb/pick. Works like a charm!

I think Ill have to go back to my activator, I just didnt like the glycerin in it...made my hair feel like slime but it did detagle like wonders /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Fantasia IC moistuzing activator gel doesn't have glycerin in it, Ayeshia. It moisturizies and detangles very well.

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
The Fantasia IC moistuzing activator gel doesn't have glycerin in it, Ayeshia. It moisturizies and detangles very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have that at home /images/graemlins/grin.gif but i have the scurl too...maybe I was using too much of it and that's what caused the buildup? Well I'll be on my way home from school tomorrow so I can see if I have it tomorrow night /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just a suggestion why not detangle braid/twist let air dry than style anyway you want. This is what I had to do in order to keep my hair un-tangled. It kept my new growth tamed when I was natural.

[ QUOTE ]
Nappyme said:
Just a suggestion why not detangle braid/twist let air dry than style anyway you want. This is what I had to do in order to keep my hair un-tangled. It kept my new growth tamed when I was natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

me being lazy and impatient.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif and trying to find "an easier" way out I guess /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif but I will defnitely try this in conjunction with the scurl spray /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the advice /images/graemlins/grin.gif

im transitioning and i have noticed its been hard for me to detangle. do u detangle in sections? when you separate your hair into sections, it's easier to part with your finger than with a comb. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have that at home /images/graemlins/grin.gif but i have the scurl too...maybe I was using too much of it and that's what caused the buildup? Well I'll be on my way home from school tomorrow so I can see if I have it tomorrow night /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you use too much it'll definitely cause buildup. Use a lil' SCurl and a LOT of patience! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

a spray bottle of purified water works for me...and pulling my hair back into 2 ponytail/plait thingys or 1 as far as i can get it while wet...if pullin back somehow fails...the spray bottle of water is enuff...i dont soak my hair with it...i juss moisten some

The problem is your technique.

I comb and brush my hair all of the time when it's dry, but I have to do things a little differently after washing. After your hair is washed & conditioned maybe you should try drying your hair in large twists or braids. My hair is very nappy and drying it when it’s not braided allows my hair to curl back around itself therefore making it harder to comb or brush again when dry.

Braiding or twisting your hair after washing does not have to be a big production. All you need to do is put your hair in 4 or five huge twists before drying. Twisting and braiding also helps my hair dry faster.

Here is how I do it:
Step 1:
http://public.fotki.com/AFashionSlave/af...ne_air_dry.html

Step 2:
http://public.fotki.com/AFashionSlave/af...big_fro_how_to/

I'd recommend putting coconut oil on it while it's wet and then using a denman brush to comb it through. Once it's dry, brush again with the denman. This is how I do my daughter's hair. I use the D3 and D4 I think. You can get @ Sally's. One is really soft and the other is more firm. The actual brush handle part is heavier than the other one.

I just posted about these products.

I believe you hit the nail on the head for me Ayeshia, my hair feels like slime because of the Gylcerine. Never thought of that.

Meanwhile, I'm really learning to detangle my daughter's 4a/b hair. So far, the Scurl No Drip worked. However, I put her hair in 2 ponytails in front, twisted them and connected them to a puff in the middle. Hopefully, when it is dry it won't be a tangled mess. That's what I want to avoid.

AFashionSlave, you brought up a good point. Braiding while wet DOES help with the tangle and also straigthens some.

I anxiously await more tips.

I like this board a lot!

~op~

[ QUOTE ]
Carefree said:
I was also going to suggest airdrying in large twists or braids. I hope you find something that works!

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to suggest this too, but I was sure how long your hair was now since all I can see is the 'you being cute' album /images/graemlins/laugh.gif . But I think the tension from twisting/braiding is going to smooth out your roots so they'll be a little more controlled. I find that air drying makes my new growth softer, it seems that when I sit under even the bonnet while twisted it makes natural new growth dry out faster so it's more resistant /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif.

i totally agree with afashionslave (excellent post and pics, by the wy)! it's really more the technique than the products. since you are able to detangle twice while wet, it should help if you braid or twist before your hair is dry. i think that will keep you away from the blow dryer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also airdry in twists... usually 4 or 5 /images/graemlins/cool.gif
I also airdry in 1 big ole ponytail, then make a couple of braids or twists on the ends.

I agree with what's already been suggested. I think your hair would be much easier to deal with if you airdry in twists or braids. Plus, make sure your hair is well moisturized.

The climate is getting cooler and drier in most areas, so your hair may be going through a little change as the season changes. I know where I live, when the season changes my hair behaves and responds totally different until I switch up my techniques and routines.

I agree with AFS. It's the only way I can deal with my hair. In fact, that's my "style". I wear my hair in 5 braids, pulled back into a ponytail.

not sure if anyone suggested this (didnt read whole thread)
but after i detangle i put my hair into lil ponies it keeps the section moist
i also spritz with water i find that it is easier to detangle moist hair than dry hair
the ponies also cut down on my shrinkage

or sleep in conditoner and wake up and detangle then rinse in 2 sections i had major slip after i did this

Last edited:
What I like to do is detangle with a wide tooth comb and put it in four plait before I start to shampoo. I then take my plaits down one by one and shampoo and condition it one at a time, I then detangle through with my fingers really good and then plait it back up.

Back