OMG - Natural Hair Revolution "Beauty Lies" Documentary!!

Canadian film? I knew it....those accents are a give away. Thanks for sharing.

9 times out of 10 they are asking Caribbean/African men. Most Caribbean/African men PREFER NATURAL HAIR in Canada. This film is good, but I would like to see what black american men had to say.

Last edited:
I know in Toronto Asians refer to themselves as Oriental and this is a Canadian film.

Interesting, but as soon as the narrator said "oriental woman" my face was like this :perplexed

How are you going to do a doccumentary about race relations and call an asian person "oriental".... :ohwell: seriously?

9 times out of 10 they are asking Caribbean/African men. Most Caribbean/African men PREFER NATURAL HAIR in Canada. This film is good, but I would like to see what black american men had to say.
Most Caribbean/African men I've encountered love the straight long hair and the "good hair". They are not really a fan of weaves, but natural hair is DEFINITELY not a preference.:nono:

Last edited:
I know in Toronto Asians refer to themselves as Oriental and this is a Canadian film.
Every Asian I know is highly offended by "Oriental". One of my friends asked someone if he is a "rug", when they called him that.

strange. never in my life experienced that/this.

I'm Canadian and most Caribbean/African men love the straight long hair and the "good hair". They are not really a fan of weaves, but natural hair is DEFINITELY not a preference.:nono:

Last edited:

I did notice the Canadian thing...I wonder if the Caribbean/African men there really prefer natural hair or is it just the men they interviewed....it did sound like a group of natural hair loving friends who may think differently than the majority...it's kind of hard to get a general idea about what any group thinks even if they interviewed Black men in this country, but that is interesting...

I have lived in both the US and Canada for extensive times, although I was born in Toronto.

In America my experience says black men PREFER STRAIGHT RELAXED HAIR period. The majority.

Here, preference is for natural hair (pressed/natural state), weave free. And then there are those who do not care. When I relaxed my hair, my male friends were livid but in the USA when my male friends saw my hair I was even more attractive.

The men in the video are a good representation of the majority of Carib/African Canadian men IMO.

I am natural now (I wear presses and highly textured hair), and my male friends and men in general prefer it and I get hella compliments.

I did notice the Canadian thing...I wonder if the Caribbean/African men there really prefer natural hair or is it just the men they interviewed....it did sound like a group of natural hair loving friends who may think differently than the majority...it's kind of hard to get a general idea about what any group thinks even if they interviewed Black men in this country, but that is interesting...

i think most women (any race) should take a step back and distance their emotions and who they are from how and what they do to their hair.

i think most women (any race) should take a step back and distance their emotions and who they are from how and what they do to their hair.

I totally agree & that would be great in a perfect world... but for many women (not just Black women) how & what we do to our hair is a BIG deal ... and going against the norm by "going natural" is an even bigger deal for Black women ... it's sad that we have so many varying emotional responses to the hair that grows from our heads naturally and the many social implications of doing so, or choosing to relax, wear weaves, wigs, etc.

I just watched the videos and I thought the short cut was very becoming on her. It made me think for a sec what could have been had I done that when I stopped relaxing back in 2000.

I thought it was common knowledge oriental is a no-no.

Anyway, the documentary was OK. I liked some parts of it, but it was definitely more geared toward the whole evil relaxer/processed hair idea than it was fair-minded. Also, I noticed the dig about light-skinned women. I'm sorry, it was an OK documentary, but it was definitely and clearly biased, and not even subtly to me. Just very much so. Not my kind of documentaries. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Beyonce is light skinned and wears her hair straight 90% of the time. OH NO. HOW DARE SHE. Give me a break.

Don't get me wrong, there were some good parts where I definitely was interested and felt they were touching on GOOD points, but it did come off preachy and biased sometimes (like with above).

Anyway, the documentary was OK. I liked some parts of it, but it was definitely more geared toward the whole evil relaxer/processed hair idea than it was fair-minded. Also, I noticed the dig about light-skinned women. I'm sorry, it was an OK documentary, but it was definitely and clearly biased, and not even subtly to me. Just very much so. Not my kind of documentaries. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Beyonce is light skinned and wears her hair straight 90% of the time. OH NO. HOW DARE SHE. Give me a break.

Don't get me wrong, there were some good parts where I definitely was interested and felt they were touching on GOOD points, but it did come off preachy and biased sometimes (like with above).

Yeah no documentary is going to be completely un-biased... they all have an angle....this one was definitely pro-natural.....but I don't think it was putting the relaxer/weave down just asking the question about WHY its so prominent amongst Black women ... it's an undeniable truth...and sooooo many Black women are very uncomfortable w/ their natural hair for a reason....

I'm glad you liked parts of it and got something positive out of it :yep:

I think Professor Walcott's (he sounds like he's bajan) interview snippets are worth the proverbial price of admission. His statement about the contradiction and need to negotiate freedom of expression (black people have a particular penchant for adornment and expression) with racial aesthetic integrity/self-acceptance hits on a significant reason why some people are taken aback by the "why you wear your hair straight" discussion.

The filmmaker looked ravishing with her baldie; she has really nice features.

I found the mens' comments about weave interesting.

I also think the historical insight about the dynamic that resulted from slave women being made to cut their hair off, while the mistress of the plantation got to have long, well-groomed hair hits on the point I made in the other thread about slaves being deprived of their traditional styling tools, products and techniques.

It's so great that regular people/amateur filmmakers who are passionate about something can produce their own documentaries for a reasonable price, and more importantly, distribute it across the world by uploading it to YouTube. As Chris Rock's documentary, high production values/budget/nationwide theater release have little correlation with earnestness, integrity and positive impact.

Thanks for sharing, nappyrina!
@andromeda Thanks for your insights. :)

Last edited:

I just have to add..the very small part where they mention "light skin w/ light eyes & long straight thair" was not a dig against Black women with those features...they were merely pointing out the fact that actresses/models/entertainers w/ those particular features are put on a pedestal in Hollywood and chosen for more roles b/c they are viewed as "prettier" or "more exotic" than the "average" Black woman, whatever that means ...

To me, this did not come across as bashing Beyonce, Rhianna or anyone that looks like them... why is stating the obvious somehow viewed as a diss to them or anyone else? ...

I just have to add..the very small part where they mention "light skin w/ light eyes & long straight thair" was not a dig against Black women with those features...they were merely pointing out the fact that actresses/models/entertainers w/ those particular features are put on a pedestal in Hollywood and chosen for more roles b/c they are viewed as "prettier" or "more exotic" than the "average" Black woman, whatever that means ...

To me, this did not come across as bashing Beyonce, Rhianna or anyone that looks like them... why is stating the obvious somehow viewed as a diss to them or anyone else? ...
I agree. I think some people get offended if they belong to that group because they cannot or do not want to recognize/acknowledge their own privilege. It's easier to believe the playing field is level.

I agree with you on it being obviously biased. I don't necessarily think bias, or having a certain perspective, is a bad thing but it seems like the woman had her own "come to Jesus" moment with her hair and is now very fervent and convinced of her views on relaxers/weaving. The documentary didn't really even seem to be purporting itself as definitive or objective, although some things were said rather matter-of-factly. That's why I really liked the prof's comments because there were well-informed, tempered and acknowledged the need for balance and freedom. And I think the fact that she included people with professional knowledge of the issue, along with "normal folks" showed that she at least was trying to give it more credibility as a documentary than a simple recorded "chat among girlfriends" masquerading as something greater.

On the lightskinned thing, I disagree. There is a difference between recognizing/taking issue with how people perceive and react to light skin/long hair and taking issue with light skin/long hair itself/those who possess it.

I agree with you on it being obviously biased. I don't necessarily think bias, or having a certain perspective, is a bad thing but it seems like the woman had her own "come to Jesus" moment with her hair and is now very fervent and convinced of her views on relaxers/weaving. The documentary didn't really even seem to be purporting itself as definitive or objective, although some things were said rather matter-of-factly. That's why I really liked the prof's comments because there were well-informed, tempered and acknowledged the need for balance and freedom. And I think the fact that she included people with professional knowledge of the issue, along with "normal folks" showed that she at least was trying to give it more credibility as a documentary than a simple recorded "chat among girlfriends" masquerading as something greater.

On the lightskinned thing, I disagree. There is a difference between recognizing/taking issue with how people perceive and react to light skin/long hair and taking issue with light skin/long hair itself/those who possess it.

Couldn't have said it better Andromedia!....

I really liked the input from the Sociology professor & others b/c it did show balance on this issue .. honestly I probably would not have recommended the documentary on here if it was like you stated:
"a simple recorded chat among girlfriends masquerading as something greater" b/c it would have just been like preaching to the choir to other naturals on here and may have offended some relaxed ones b/c it IS pro-natural ....

I think it was pretty good but as for the guys picking who they'd like better between natural and straight most guys (that I know and see in my life) they would much rather a woman with relaxed hair. Even my guy he understands the work and love I put into my hair and he even helps with it but we both know if I went in the bathroom and slapped in my standby botanicals relaxer he'd be mad happy and I think my hair would have less ssk's because it wouldn't wrap around itself. For me being natural wasn't about anything but scalp health and it still is. I handle it better now and spend more time on it but it wasn't about a fad, my blackness, me feeling "free", or anything of the sort...I digress
She looked lovely with her hair the way it is as many women do rather long short natural relaxed texlaxed texturized jheri curled tenderized lol etc. Do what makes you feel GOOD. I'm glad I watched it :)

Last edited:
Thanks OP. That haircut is soooo cute on her. It made her eyes and cheeckbones POP:)

Yeah she looks AMAZING w/ that short cut and her features are definitely highlighted to the max .. some women can really pull off short hair regardless of whether it's natural or relaxed .. take Halle Berry for instance .. simply stunning w/ the short cut..she was still cute w/ the longer hair but her features are certainly more highlighted w/ her infamous cut and just about everybody agrees she looks her best this way!

oh yeah and BUMP!! :grin:

Back