OMG!! I don't think this is normal!!!

BeatriceFly

Okay so here I go to wash my hair and twist it myself
No problem right
Okay so mind you I've had cornrows in for three weeks before this challenge
When I take my braids out.... so much hair came out!!
So I'm like okay, three weeks of shedding no problem!!!
But then as I wash my hair... still its coming out.. like ALOT!!!
And since I'm a hair freak now, I'm examining these strands, its all shedding!!
So as I'm twisting my hair, which was SOOO dry by the way, I just don't know what to do anymore, MORE AND MORE HAIR IS COMING OUT!!
All shedding... so I'm like you know maybe this is just from the three weeks, 70 strands a day, whatever!!
Okay but you know... two days later if I as so much touch a twist on my head I'm getting strands of hair, root bulby things and all, I just don't know if this is okay
Is it?!?!??!!??!

I find that my hair grows REALLY fast in the summer, and then sheds like GANGBUSTERS in the fall, then stabilizes (doesn't grow much, doesn't shed much) in the winter, and starts growing again in the spring.
Maybe you are a seasonal shedder as well - is this your first year really focusing on your hair? If so - this might be totally normal, and you jsut never noticed it before....

I was having quite a bit of shedding a few weeks back, so I used Queen Helene's garlic shampoo (it's odor free) and that has stopped it. If you buy this, I strongly suggest you follow up with a good deep condition, because this shampoo will make your hair feel a bit rough afterwards.

I just took down my braids and my hair was shedding like (cat hair when it be all over the house) but I put wgo and two days later it stop shedding completly.

That happens with my daughters hair after I take her braids down from being in for 3 weeks or so. Some hair comes out in the process of takin em down and some more comes out while washing. It happens every time I take her braids down and wash but it's never alarming. It used to bother me but since joining the forum, I'm more calm about it and take the proper steps and now know that it's normal shedding.

Honestly, that shedding profusely thing happens to me too. When i take my cornrows down from under my LF, i start freaking out a bit when i am shampooing in the shower. But once i wash/condtion and style, its fine. My hair doesnt look any thinner or like i am going bald. I share your pain though...

ETA: I put condition in my hair first to detangle. Then i shampoo/condition and continue with the rest of my regimen.

Denim And Leather said:
I was having quite a bit of shedding a few weeks back, so I used Queen Helene's garlic shampoo (it's odor free) and that has stopped it. If you buy this, I strongly suggest you follow up with a good deep condition, because this shampoo will make your hair feel a bit rough afterwards.

How much is this shampoo?

yes this is my first time focusing on my hair!!!
well since i joined in may i think

so maybe ur right
but i havent noticed this in other washes so i dont know...

nappywomyn said:
I find that my hair grows REALLY fast in the summer, and then sheds like GANGBUSTERS in the fall, then stabilizes (doesn't grow much, doesn't shed much) in the winter, and starts growing again in the spring.
Maybe you are a seasonal shedder as well - is this your first year really focusing on your hair? If so - this might be totally normal, and you jsut never noticed it before....

yea sometimes i think i'm going to have no hair left

but my hair doesnt look like its thinning either so....

but is frightening and i just dont think its normal mainly because i haven't seen it this excessive
but maybe i am a seasonal shedder like nappywomyn said

atlien11 said:
Honestly, that shedding profusely thing happens to me too. When i take my cornrows down from under my LF, i start freaking out a bit when i am shampooing in the shower. But once i wash/condtion and style, its fine. My hair doesnt look any thinner or like i am going bald. I share your pain though...

ETA: I put condition in my hair first to detangle. Then i shampoo/condition and continue with the rest of my regimen.

I'm definitly a fall season shedder, plus, my hair being longer than I'm used to, it looks like more.

Ok so once I decided it was OK to count the strands (hush that laughing)

It really turned out to not be all that much, its the fact that their longer than I'm used to seeing.

I think that you may not only be seasonal shedding, but also shedding because of the braids.

You may want to take note of this, and see if it continues to happen. Mine is slowing down as the temperatures become more consistent. I kinda feel like a tree in a way.:lol:

What I do is give my hair extra care and treat it extra gentle. and I don't manipulate as much until the shedding slows. For me that goes a long way.

-A

ok great!

thank u erbody!!

Arcadian said:
I'm definitly a fall season shedder, plus, my hair being longer than I'm used to, it looks like more.

Ok so once I decided it was OK to count the strands (hush that laughing)

It really turned out to not be all that much, its the fact that their longer than I'm used to seeing.

I think that you may not only be seasonal shedding, but also shedding because of the braids.

You may want to take note of this, and see if it continues to happen. Mine is slowing down as the temperatures become more consistent. I kinda feel like a tree in a way.:lol:

What I do is give my hair extra care and treat it extra gentle. and I don't manipulate as much until the shedding slows. For me that goes a long way.

-A

My hair does this exact same thing when I take my cornrows out and I only keep them in for a week and a half. Every time I take them out I swear to myself that I'll never get my hair braided again.

Back