omg do satin bonnets thin edges?? help 4 newbie, plz

whitedaisez

av noticed dat ever since i started wearing my satin bonnet 2 sleep, my edges av kinda been SLOWLY thinning. On my bonnet, the elastic is covered by de satin, so its not directly being placed on de hair line. den wat seems to be irritating my edges? Does dis happen 2 anyone else? i tot de bonnet was supposed 2 be protecting ma hair and it jes doesnt seem 2 be doing de job adequately. :perplexed

ALSO: wat does SO, DH, IMO, TIA mean?
[I'll let y'all kno wen i tink of oda terms i don kno] :)

Last edited:
I always moisturize and wrap a satin scarf around my edges before adding my satin bonnet. I also turn the bonnet inside out so the elastic doesn't touch my edges. It may sound like overload, but it's been working for me so far. :)

Many people have stated that they have problems with bonnets and hairlines, that's why I prefer using scarves. Just get a large silk square, fold it into a triangle, tie once round the back of your head then bring the tails round the front and tie again. That way it won't slip off and it won't harm your edges.
SO: significant other
DD: darling daughter
IMO: in my opinion
DH: darling husband
ITA: I totally agree

I use bonnets but I braid my hairline before I put it on and apply a hair butter. My hairline is filling in now:grin:

i've noticed this too. i think its because when i sleep and roll around. there is so much friction on my edges with the bonnet. so i'm gonna go back to wearing a scarf.

I wear both a scarf and a satin bonnet. I put the bonnet on top of my scarf as a back up measure, I sleep pretty wild. I haven't had any issues with my edges, but I do hate the line the bonnet leaves around my head in the morning, so now I turn it inside out...works like a charm, no more line around my forehead...

The satin bonet was a no-no for my hairline. I kept thinking it was the wigs that were thinking my hairline and the satin bonet was the enemy! Now I went back old school and use my cotton scarf and my hairline is now growing in nicely with no problems at all.

I do the same, scarf then the bonnet.. keeps my scarf on at night, and i like it for the xtra protection..

hm. they shouldn't! if you're using the ones with the elastic bands, then i suppose they could. if you put on your bonnet & wake up in the morning with dents across your forehead, then the bonnet's too tight. take some scissors & loosen the elastic so there's no denting, otherwise, you may want to consider using a scarf to tie up your hair.

What's with the poor spelling and grammar, WD? You didn't write like that in your other thread.

Yes, bonnets can thin your hair if they have that rubber elastic band around the edge.

Last edited:
Great options given by all of the ladies here, I'd like to add one more. The bss also carries a non elastic satin cap. It is shelved with the othe caps. It's called a drawstring satin cap. I use it in conjunction with satin pillowcase.
HTH
Good luck and welcome

Great options given by all of the ladies here, I'd like to add one more. The bss also carries a non elastic satin cap. It is shelved with the othe caps. It's called a drawstring satin cap. I use it in conjunction with satin pillowcase.
HTH
Good luck and welcome

I might have to check that out.

Many people have stated that they have problems with bonnets and hairlines, that's why I prefer using scarves. Just get a large silk square, fold it into a triangle, tie once round the back of your head then bring the tails round the front and tie again. That way it won't slip off and it won't harm your edges.

:yep: this is exactly what i do.

I'm with everyone else here... I sleep with my scarf tied on first and I put it just low enough so the bonnet that goes over top doesn't leave that awful line around my forehead...

I think I may try the pillowcase as well, nothing wrong with triple protection!

I've noticed this. My hair is already very fine/thin at the edges so it doesn't take a lot for wear and tear to exist.

I just keep the bonnet down low over my forehead, so that it isnt resting on the hairline.

av noticed dat ever since i started wearing my satin bonnet 2 sleep, my edges av kinda been SLOWLY thinning. On my bonnet, the elastic is covered by de satin, so its not directly being placed on de hair line. den wat seems to be irritating my edges? Does dis happen 2 anyone else? i tot de bonnet was supposed 2 be protecting ma hair and it jes doesnt seem 2 be doing de job adequately. :perplexed

ALSO: wat does SO, DH, IMO, TIA mean?
[I'll let y'all kno wen i tink of oda terms i don kno] :)

WD, I always coat my edges and kitchen naps with a leave in, some oil before putting on my scarf or bonnet at night{day time regimen too}just to reduce the chance of friction wearing out my edges..worked too hard to get 'em back!PS..Make sure to use a band when you wash your face, the soap may be a factor too.

Last edited:
Good ideas! One portion of my hair line seems thinner.

I never thought of turning the cap inside out! :blush:

No offense, WhiteDaisez--it's a bit challenging to read your posts--they have good information, but I've had to slow down to understand what you were trying to say or ask.

I know this is of topic, but thanks for the bolded. I had been wondering what a couple of those meant.

Now back to the actual topic....as someone stated earlier, I also tie a satin scarf around my edges. Then, I place my bonnet on. Maybe that'll help! or should I say HTH!

I haven't had this problem so far and feel like the bonnett has been better for my edges then scarves. :yep: I find that with scarves my edges end up rubbing out like the bald spot on the back of a newborns head. With the bonnett I just make sure the elastic comes down far enough on my forehead, neck, and ears. I haven't had a problem thus far and unlike scarves my bonnett stays put through the night. For me, it's a keeper. Maybe you should consider turning it inside out as one of the other posters suggested? I might end up doing that myself.

satin bonnets thin my edges especially my temples where its most sensitive. i'm going to have to go back to wearing my ol' school blk. bandanas....for some reason or another, these things are the bomb. they don't make me loose hairs unlike the bonnets. bonnets don't get mad love from me. :nono:

When I use my bonnet I turn it inside out so the rubber is on the outside and does not come in contact with my edges.

They make bonnets without elastic around the edges and please don't use a cotton scarf on your hair.

I used to use the wraps with the velcroux but I believed thats (along with wrapping) is what thinned my edges because by the morning it was half off my head and some hair would be caught in the velcroux so who knows what my edges went through during the night. So now I twist my hair in fours pin them up. I use a bonnet satin cap now but I pull it far down over my ears and forehead to make sure it doesnt touch my edges and then I place the velcroux wrap over it to hold it in place. Works so far.

Back