Old School Hello vs New School Hello

tlbaby23

Im only 22, single female, and back in February i went through a tough break up n im now getting back into the dating game n i feel like its different than what im use to. Im not looking for a relationship or a smash buddy, just a boo thang :drunk: haha
Today at work i saw a HOT guy, :grin: tall, handsome, athletic build :lick: n we were both standing there waiting for something n made eye contact a couple of times. I can tell he wanted to say something but never did n I was thinking well maybe I should say something to him first but I chickened out n never said anything to him. As I was walking away I was like dammit I should go back n say something so about 10 mins later when I built my courage I went back to where he was but he was already gone :nono: I was upset cuz he was gorgeous !
But in my mind I feel like the guy should come up to the girl n if he doesn’t come up to you then maybes hes not interested but after talking to a lot of my male friends they say they usually wait till the girl comes up to them because it’s a turn on. Im just not use to that because im old school so i like the guy to come up to me
My questions:
1. Whats your opinion on it all?
2. How do you build up the courage to say something first without it being awkward :look:
3. WHAT DO YOU SAY!? (as simple as it seems Its harder when ur actually there)

I just smile and strike up a convo...i think i'm funny so i might add a little humor into it... but you gotta remember (I have 5brothers) that men put their pride on the line everyday and get rejected alot so anytime a female makes themselves more approachable just by being a lil more friendly It can be a big turn on

stephluv said:
I just smile and strike up a convo...i think i'm funny so i might add a little humor into it... but you gotta remember (I have 5brothers) that men put their pride on the line everyday and get rejected alot so anytime a female makes themselves more approachable just by being a lil more friendly It can be a big turn on

Yeah ur right I keep hearing that men love to be approach first but I'm just not use to the plus i have pride too! Lol

I'm old fashioned and believe a man should approach the woman. However, I HAVE heard men say it's a turn on when women approach them. But I've heard some say it can come off as too forceful also because they like the chase.

So what I believe is best is to let a man know you're interested without having to make the first move. Just make sure you cross paths and speak and say hello or something and flirt if you can.

A good hello and a smile should be enough for any man to come talk to you if he's interested.

I think you did the right thing. A smile and a hello is enough. A lot of ladies here say the men that don't approach are often taken. Also, if you approach first, it may be a turn on in the beginning but in the long run you might find yourself always initiating dates, getting together, etc. I wouldn't want the type of guy that's too shy or lazy and waits for the lady to approach, that's not very attractive to me.

hopeful said:
I think you did the right thing. A smile and a hello is enough. A lot of ladies here say the men that don't approach are often taken. Also, if you approach first, it may be a turn on in the beginning but in the long run you might find yourself always initiating dates, getting together, etc. I wouldn't want the type of guy that's too shy or lazy and waits for the lady to approach, that's not very attractive to me.

Wow that's a very good point. I took it as maybe he wasn't interested but he kept looking at me so he probably was taken =/ n yeah I hate when a guy expects me to do everything all the time

smile, say hi, ask him how his day is/what dept he works in/just casual small talk and see where it goes from there.

i'm learning a lot of women don't LIKE to be approached randomly by men ("why can't i just be in public alone without having to deal with unwanted male attention" is something i've heard a few times lately.). so i think it's good for men to NOT approach every woman they like/see without invitation (body language or some other indicator).

if i see someone i could be interested in getting to know better, depending on the vibe, i may say hi. i am very good at reading people in general, so i try not to approach people who clearly don't want to deal with the public that day. :lol:

i don't really worry about whether a man sees it as a "turn on" or not. i do what works for me/what makes me comfortable. & all men are different, some men are into it, some aren't.

ETA: like all things in life, don't get thirsty. you ever meet someone who is blowing up your phone & you are Not Interested? (and i'm not even talking about in a romantic sense. i've had people try to be my friend that i'm just like, "...but i don't like you" :ohwell:). so i'm all about balance period. i may show interest, then it's up to you.

& in general, i'm about meeting new people/learning about them (even if they are cute/i'd like to date them), so i think of it as getting to know someone vs "oo i wonder if he's into me. if i do XYZ will he like it or think i'm blahblahblah".

Last edited:

Exactly. same ones will have no problem telling others how you went after him. No thank you

Back