okay so my frizz is getting out of hand. D:

i've been natural for 10 months now, at sl. i've recently decided that i'm gonna be a straight-haired natural for a while. so, i went out and bought a fhi. i flat ironed it and it looked really nice and sleek. oh yeah, when i did i prepped my hair with sabino moisture block, plus paul mitchell skinny serum, PLUS fantasia ic heat protector serum.

also, after i flat ironed i sprayed my hair with joico humidity blocker. so with all this, my hair should stay sleek and smooth, right? WRONG. :nono: i went to a crawfish boil outside and when i got back in the car and looked in the mirror my hair was a big frizzy mess. i don't wanna damage my hair by going over it with the flat iron every day. any suggestions? thanks in advanced! =]

I would think that anything you have to spray on (ie liquid) is going to make your hair revert. Maybe it was supposed to be sprayed on before you straightened?

Also, I've noticed that when natural hair is completely moisturized, it doesn't revert as much after straightening. I saw you used a lot of heat protectors/serums, but how moisturized was your hair? Did you DC before with a really good DC?

I would think that anything you have to spray on (ie liquid) is going to make your hair revert. Maybe it was supposed to be sprayed on before you straightened?

Also, I've noticed that when natural hair is completely moisturized, it doesn't revert as much after straightening. I saw you used a lot of heat protectors/serums, but how moisturized was your hair? Did you DC before with a really good DC?
yeah maybe so.. i'm gonna go and read the directions on that joico stuff. but yeah, i will admit that i haven't been dcing as much as i should so i'm gonna do that next time. all i did when i did flat iron it was put some giovanni leave-in underneath all that serum so perhaps that's the problem. thanks so much.

You bring up some great points. I've been natural so long that I can't even remember what I used as my leave-in when I was relaxed, but for sure using a liquid after straightening can cause hair to revert. Since you plan on wearing your hair straight for awhile maybe you should read up on what those with relaxers do for moisture when their hair is straightened.

I also agree that natural hair overall always acts better when it's properly moisturized before styling.

Also, you should look into the thread "naturals that straighten" that was started by Pinkskates. It has a wealth of information. If you're going to straighten often then you need to be DCing (protein and moisture) a lot in order to avoid damage (dryness, splits, breakage).

You can use coconut oil to moisturize while your hair is straight. It really nourishes the strands, and it won't make your hair revert.

Back