Okay Seriously...My hair looks much longer wet than dry..

Some of us have the exact opposite problem. My hair shrinks to 25% of its length when it's wet. My stylist finds it amusing...:rolleyes: I do, too, unless i just got it flatironed and there's an unexpected rainstorm! :nono:

This is my hair now especially since I have all this new growth.

Thanx so much ladies for clearing that up for me. I am so glad I am not the only one who is damn near Waist Length Wet, and Collar bone length while dry...:grin:

I think it's fun to see how long my hair stretches......Makes me work a little harder because I can see I'm not that far from my goals...

Just the opposite for me. While I love the length wet, my goal is to reach longer than the wet length but with dry hair. It reminds me that i have a ways to go before I reach my goal (which is MBL) and so I just work harder....or at least stay committed.

I disagree with that because that doesn't account for shrinkage with naturals. Many naturals have massive shrinkage. Like for instance MsCocoFace (I think that's her sn here on the board) has BSL length hair but it shrinks to neck length if it dries unmanipulated. Her true length wouldn't be neck length bc that's where it dries. My hair shows more of it's true length (not all of it but still more) wet versus dry. Even when flat ironed I still have some degree of shrinkage.

I don't think that's false/misrepresentation. You can't pull something out of nothing. If it's not there, it's not there. If you hair is neck length, it's not gonna stretch to BSL from water. I know that's an extreme example, but what ya'll are saying doesn't totally make sense. It might for relaxed heads but even with that most people aren't relaxed bone straight so wouldn't that mean they'd have some shrinkage?

you can flat-iron or stretch natural hair to know the true length; your hair is still dry. i'm talking about how long your hair is in terms of inches and not how long it appears. my previous posts were more so referring to relaxed heads anyway. with naturals, the "problem" with using wet hair is just when used for texture shots. the texture of wet hair is often different to that of dry hair. with that said, i'll say again...i think wet hair shots can show growth for relaxed heads when paired with another wet hair shot but i don't think it can be used to show length. if my hair was relaxed, i wouldn't be using wet hair in order to claim a length milestone. there will always be a difference of opinion in regards to wet hair shots and that's fine...just do you.

Last edited:
you can flat-iron or stretch natural hair to know the true length; your hair is still dry. i'm talking about how long your hair is in terms of inches and not how long it appears. my previous posts were more so referring to relaxed heads anyway. with naturals, the "problem" with using wet hair is just when used for texture shots. the texture of wet hair is often different to that of dry hair. with that said, i'll say again...i think wet hair shots can show growth for relaxed heads when paired with another wet hair shot but i don't think it can be used to show length. if my hair was relaxed, i wouldn't be using wet hair in order to claim a length milestone. there will always be a difference of opinion in regards to wet hair shots and that's fine...just do you.

Once again I agree, as stated I was not referencing natural hair. Of course Natural hair have MAJOR shrinkage when dry but if one were to flat iron natural hair it will be the same length as natural wet hair also minus an inch or two. On Relaxed wet hair, the shrinkage is not as evident as Natural hair (Not at all)

The bottom line is Natural and Relaxed hair shrinkage is different, so of course Natural hair true length can't be determined on dry hair because of the shrinkage. I'm talking in terms of my Relaxed hair....

As much as I would like to claim the length of my wet hair, I rather go by the length of my hair dry:grin: but to each their own:spinning:

Last edited:
Just the opposite for me. While I love the length wet, my goal is to reach longer than the wet length but with dry hair. It reminds me that i have a ways to go before I reach my goal (which is MBL) and so I just work harder....or at least stay committed.

EXACTLY:grin:

my hair is exactly the same length wet or dry..even seems shorter
To me whatever your hair stretched is the length. What does it matter if its natural or relaxed.

my hair is exactly the same length wet or dry..even seems shorter
To me whatever your hair stretched is the length. What does it matter if its natural or relaxed.

Well, for one Natural hair have way more shrinkage than Relaxed hair. I on the other hand determine my length on dry hair but that's just me:yep: as I've stated we all have our own opinions though:grin:

ETA: You ask why does it matter if it's natural or relaxed? Well, I'm relaxed and I share a different opinion from someone who is natural.....

Last edited:
I'm just saying:perplexed. When my hair is wet it beats on my collar bone. Oh but don't let me wash, blow and flat iron with my FHI; it looks like it's neck length. Can anyone "please" tell me what the deal is with that? It kinda gives me false hopes.
My hair looks shorter when it is wet and looks longer dry. Am I the only one?? Am perplexed too. Is it because I am earbone length sides, top and shoulder length back??

I am natural by the way

Back