Okay, my Indian hair products have arrived but...

Blossssom

there are no directions on how to mix the Amla and Shikakai powders... I understand you're to mix them with water but at what concentrations?

Anybody out there using these products, can you help?

Thank you!

Off to mix my coconut oil with the Amla and Shikakai oils :grin:

I want the answer to this question too. I want to start using some ayurvedic products and these powders are among the ones I want to try.

Anybody using these powders? Can you help us with how to mix them?

there are no directions on how to mix the Amla and Shikakai powders... I understand you're to mix them with water but at what concentrations?

Thank you!

Okay I just found a thread by mscocoface, maybe you should pm her for more info on mixing the powders, okay?

Actually let me do a search for you right now, hold a sec....

Here it is:- http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=172511

Hope this helps you too.

Last edited:

Thank you!

Hi you add the amount of powders that you think will be enough to cover your hair fully.

1. apply the powders in a bowl, start with a small amount.

2. add water, not alot, the mix is supposed to look thick like pudding.

3. add to hair leave on I think 3-5 minutess.

I used shikakai powder it automatically made my hair strong and less hair breakage, it's really good.

But you have to rinse really well because it has exfoiliating like beads that are hard to get out of the hair. Not much of a smell.

But remember make sure the mix is thick like pudding. add as much powder and water that will cover your hair.

Well, I make my herbal poo in quart size batches. I use roughly 1 1/2 c. of powdered herbs to 2 qts of water. Thats about 1/2 c. of aritha, amla, and shikakai. The Indian recipe I use does equal portions. HTH!:yep:

Hi you add the amount of powders that you think will be enough to cover your hair fully.

1. apply the powders in a bowl, start with a small amount.

2. add water, not alot, the mix is supposed to look thick like pudding.

3. add to hair leave on I think 3-5 minutess.

I used shikakai powder it automatically made my hair strong and less hair breakage, it's really good.

But you have to rinse really well because it has exfoiliating like beads that are hard to get out of the hair.
Not much of a smell.

But remember make sure the mix is thick like pudding. add as much powder and water that will cover your hair.

Is there any way to avoid the hard to remove beads?I thought I read some ladies strained the mixture, but how can you strain a paste??:spinning:

Hey!!

I make amla and brahmi oil together and I use an even amount of tablespoons of coconut oil, and then half the amount in 1/4 teaspoons each powder. Then I add an additional quantity of coconut oil after everything is said and done.

For example, last night I used 6 tablespoons of oil, and 3- 1/4 teaspoons of brahmi powder, and 3 -1/4 teaspoons of amla powder. Cooked, strained the best I could, and then let it sit overnight. Next day, I poured the oil on the top into the final bottle, and then added 6 tablespoons of just plain oil to the bottle. Altogether it makes about 12 tablespoons(4 oz.) in the end because you will lose some in the herbs cooked.

I wonder if I could try and just add the powders to distilled water and a moisturizing shampoo like CON or even the Alma/Shikakai/Reetha shampoo that you can get from the Indian market. Perhaps doing so would help apply the powders easily. Anyone ever try this approach?

Oh thank you so much!

I couldn't remember the poster who inspired me to buy these products in the first place :lol:

I wanted to "call her out", but didn't know who to CALL! LOL!

I mixed the amla and shikakai oils with some almond oil yesterday; I put it on the front and sides of my hair and noticed a difference right away. It was shiny and soft, but the smell... it's going to take some getting use to.

I will make the paste next weekend since I've already washed for the week.

Thanks again for digging these up. I wish her threads could be a stickey! :)

I wonder if I could try and just add the powders to distilled water and a moisturizing shampoo like CON or even the Alma/Shikakai/Reetha shampoo that you can get from the Indian market. Perhaps doing so would help apply the powders easily. Anyone ever try this approach?

Funny, I thought about mixing the powders with shampoos too...

Back