Okay I really don't understand this

Chameleonchick

One of my friends has WL hair, last year she was probably a little past APL. Well anyways, she washes her hair everyday and flat irons it everyday. But yet it is still growing in pretty nice. She does weekly hot oil treatments and bi weekly deep conditoning treatments. She is a type 2. But seriously I don't understand how she can use all that heat and she still retains all that growth while some people can't even use heat twice a month. Its really crazy to think about how this happens. Besides the difference in curl pattern and such as someone with type 4 hair can't be that much different right? Is it because she has a simple reggie?? I don't know...

I wish I knew! I have a friend that is probably like a 3b and her hair is like MBL and she flat irons all the time! She does have to trim frequently but for the most part her hair is still long. I don't know her full reggie but she says it's really important to deep condition a lot. And she's a licensed cosmetologist.

Go figure... when I was relaxed and flat ironing like 2x/wk my hair never made it past SL. :rolleyes:

It's not just a question of hair type.

There are type 4's with similar regimens that have long hair too. There are also PLENTY of type 2's and 3's and 1's that would not have long hair with that type of regimen.

Everyone's hair is different, period. Some people's hair can take a lot heat/abuse and still thrive.

Some people have all the luck :lol: It's just like someone who can eat all they want and never gain weight.

She's type 2 then she is natural, right? That's probably why her hair can take more abuse. It's straighter which means it can retain moisture better and stronger due to no chemicals. But I agree with Neith, different hair types have different needs and withstand different "techniques" with straighter hair being able to take more abuse than textured hair.

Since her hair is already kinda straight, maybe it also requires less heat to get it perfectly straight.

i meant to tell you that you hair is gorgeous nappy or straight.

There are type 4's with similar regimens that have long hair too. There are also PLENTY of type 2's and 3's and 1's that would not have long hair with that type of regimen.

Everyone's hair is different, period. Some people's hair can take a lot heat/abuse and still thrive.

Some people have all the luck :lol: It's just like someone who can eat all they want and never gain weight.

I agree. A friend of mine (RIP) had thick type 4 hair and she used heat every week. She was relaxed but would blow dry/flat iron/curling iron every week and had lovely APL hair. Everyone oohed and ahhed over hair.

My daughter had waist length hair while I was taking care of it. Now that she's living on her own she hardly combs it, never puts it in a protective style, probably washes it 2x a week, never deep conditions, never seals her ends, doesn't care who cuts her hair or how many inches they cut, will pass the flatiron over her hair about 50 times.. *sigh* and much to my surprise her hair always is MBL and looks lovely. I'm always having an anxiety attack over her regimen but it doesn't seem to phase her. If I did any of that over a month period I'd be bald.

I don't know what my hair type is because I'm relaxed and has been for many years, but I blow dry after every cowash and DC. I flat iron too. My hair doesn't break easily from those things either. The problem is for me, is that I have to keep my hair moisturizer. I wasn't moisturizing correctly for years, only about once a week or so, but my still looked good but I noticed that I was stuck at APL. I wasn't shedding or breaking like crazy, I just couldn't get past APL. But now that I've been moisturizing and sealing I'm seeing more length but I still blowdry 4 or 5 times a week after conditioners. Heat doesn't bother my hair at all. Air drying is what damages my hair. I don't know why.

This is a theory also. Long time ago my stylist told me that heat should always be done on clean hair & that direct heat & dirt just didn't mix. Maybe it's the fact that she's washing daily. Just a theory...

I don't understand how, but I've just accepted the fact that some hair types can use heat every single day with no problems. Most of the stuff we talk about here pertains to coarser hair, which is actually more fragile than other hair types.

My Caucasian roommate shampoos and blowdries her curly hair straight every single morning and it is still super-thick and healthy.

Shtow uses alot of direct heat and she has great hair. I wonder whats her regime?

Thank you, Tanisha. If anyone else is interested, here is my regimen:

• relax 3-4 times a year with Nairobi.

• clarify 1x a month with Kenra using a nozzled tipped bottle
  • protein 1x a month with 2 eggs, 1 tbsp evoo, mizani moisturfuse as a 30 min prepoo w/ heat
  • wash every 5-7 days with Kenra MS using a nozzled tipped bottle and rinse using a nozzled tipped bottle
  • DC every wash with Kenra MC w/ heat for 30 mins (detangle as soon as apply Kenra before going under dryer for 30 mins)
  • apply Kenra Platinum moisturizer and Kenra silkening gloss
  • dry loose under pibbs 10-20 mins
  • blow dry with a smooth and sturdy comb attatchment (made for the blowdryer)
  • flat iron with no additional product with Sedu at 360 degrees
  • moisturize every 1-2 days, sometimes 2x a day when I'm being good with Kenra Platinum Moisturizer sealed with coconut oil:lick:
  • when my scalp flairs, I apply a mix of jojoba and tea tree oils
  • trim 2-3 times a year
  • Comb with a wide tooth comb daily
  • pincurls and wraps

These are the techniques that I believe help me retain lenght seeing as though I have always used direct heat but could not get past SL-APL in the past:

• Deep Conditioning
  • Moisturzing (Flat Ironing can dry the hair out so I discovered if I moisturize and seal as soon as I finish flat ironing, this is not an issue at all!!!:yep:)
  • less manipultion (I only use a shower comb to comb my hair)
  • wearing my hair up as much as possible. If im not out, its in a messy bun, which I prefer. I could be at school with my hair swanging, but as soon as I get in the house, up my hair goes
  • maintaing moisture/protein balance
  • sleeping with a silk scarf!!!!
  • using a quality flat iron. I cannot empasize this enough!!!!! Gold n Hot Irons killed my hair. Prior to LHCF I bought a $60 cermaic one and my hair really improved
  • using a heat protectant
  • using a QUALITY moisturizer
  • using a moisturizer that does not have water as the first ingreident. Water based moisturizer+straight hair=disaster. My moisturizer has water but is not water based and is the most moisturizing moisturizer I have ever tried. If I touch my hair, my fingers are quenched in moisture too:blush:
Hope this helps, sweetie!

Thank you, Tanisha. If anyone else is interested, here is my regimen:

• relax 3-4 times a year with Nairobi.
  • clarify 1x a month with Kenra using a nozzled tipped bottle
  • protein 1x a month with 2 eggs, 1 tbsp evoo, mizani moisturfuse as a 30 min prepoo w/ heat
  • wash every 5-7 days with Kenra MS using a nozzled tipped bottle and rinse using a nozzled tipped bottle
  • DC every wash with Kenra MC w/ heat for 30 mins (detangle as soon as apply Kenra before going under dryer for 30 mins)
  • apply Kenra Platinum moisturizer and Kenra silkening gloss
  • dry loose under pibbs 10-20 mins
  • blow dry with a smooth and sturdy comb attatchment (made for the blowdryer)
  • flat iron with no additional product with Sedu at 360 degrees
  • moisturize every 1-2 days, sometimes 2x a day when I'm being good with Kenra Platinum Moisturizer sealed with coconut oil:lick:
  • when my scalp flairs, I apply a mix of jojoba and tea tree oils
  • trim 2-3 times a year
  • Comb with a wide tooth comb daily
  • pincurls and wraps
These are the techniques that I believe help me retain lenght seeing as though I have always used direct heat but could not get past SL-APL in the past:

• Deep Conditioning
  • Moisturzing (Flat Ironing can dry the hair out so I discovered if I moisturize and seal as soon as I finish flat ironing, this is not an issue at all!!!:yep:)
  • less manipultion (I only use a shower comb to comb my hair)
  • wearing my hair up as much as possible. If im not out, its in a messy bun, which I prefer. I could be at school with my hair swanging, but as soon as I get in the house, up my hair goes
  • maintaing moisture/protein balance
  • sleeping with a silk scarf!!!!
  • using a quality flat iron. I cannot empasize this enough!!!!! Gold n Hot Irons killed my hair. Prior to LHCF I bought a $60 cermaic one and my hair really improved
  • using a heat protectant
  • using a QUALITY moisturizer
  • using a moisturizer that does not have water as the first ingreident. Water based moisturizer+straight hair=disaster. My moisturizer has water but is not water based and is the most moisturizing moisturizer I have ever tried. If I touch my hair, my fingers are quenched in moisture too:blush:
Hope this helps, sweetie!
You aint never lie:nono::nono: Where do you buy Kenra Platinum Moisturizer?

One of my friends has WL hair, last year she was probably a little past APL. Well anyways, she washes her hair everyday and flat irons it everyday. But yet it is still growing in pretty nice. She does weekly hot oil treatments and bi weekly deep conditoning treatments. She is a type 2. But seriously I don't understand how she can use all that heat and she still retains all that growth while some people can't even use heat twice a month. Its really crazy to think about how this happens. Besides the difference in curl pattern and such as someone with type 4 hair can't be that much different right? Is it because she has a simple reggie?? I don't know...[/QUOTE

I think it has to do with the hair type....people with straight hair like type 2 hair generally do not have such dry hair as a type 4....so they have less breakage and retain more even with heat

flat iron does fine for me ive done it since 9th grade and my hair always grew, it only didn't grow not because of heat but because of not wrapping, not cleansing and deep conditioning properly....so to each its own

Well, she has type 2 hair. That hair type is *generally* more elastic and less fragile. Type 4 / African hair is the most fragile/ brittle. It is what it is.

Whatever the hair type, it's also a question of the thickness and strength of the individual strand - thickness of the cuticle, etc. There are a few type 3 / 4s on here who do thrive with regular flat ironing, but they all seem to have fairly thick individual strands.

Last edited:
[quote=ebonylocs;6634983]Well, she has type 2 hair. That hair type is *generally* more elastic and less fragile. Type 4 / African hair is the most fragile/ brittle. It is what it is.

Whatever the hair type, it's also a question of the thickness and strength of the individual strand - thickness of the cuticle, etc. There are a few type 3 / 4s on hair who do thrive with regular flat ironing, but they all seem to have fairly thick individual strands.[/quote]

Yep ITA...to everything said here this is why type 1 and type 2 hair can use ALOT more heat, dye and chemically process their hair almost all the time!...Our hair is way less elastic and way more dryer..which is why our hair breaks easly...the moisture in thier hair is why the length can be retained more..even when they abuse it more frequently. It all about the moisture level and elasticity.

Back