Okay, I learned a lesson..

vevster

When doing a protein treatment use one of my creamy shampoos after not a cleansing shampoo...

Although, I do say I am not impressed with Joico's K Pak Moisturizer that I used after!!! I had this in my hair for 30 minutes with a heat cap!

Does anyone else have any more feedback?

I used aphogee's 2 minute for the pre poo protein treatment.....

My hair was very tangly during my rollerset despite adding Elucence MBC. I had to put a couple conditioners in as leave ins which I usu never have to do.

Last edited:
Vev, a lot of ppl do protein as a prepoo, especially if their hair is sensitive to protein. What shampoo did you use? Maybe next time u should use something like CON or just cowash it out. I wasnt too impressed with Joico K pak moisturizing conditioner either...but I use it as part of the 4 step system sometimes. I added a little oil to it and that helped. Also I like to use leave ins with lots of slip like giovanni direct, africas best hair mayo, or lacio lacio. They make detangling a breeze.

I don't shampoo after using protein. I think you're supposed to shampoo before because you clean up all the buildup out of the way so the protien can penetrate your hair. Then you use a moisturizing deep conditioner over that so your hair isn't hard but stays strong.

When you put shampoo into the mix afterward you probably caused your hair to get tangled and dry out more.

The only thing you should be applying after a protein treatment is an intense moisturizing conditioner and it doesn't have to be a DC either. Never mind at least you know for next time.

The only thing you should be applying after a protein treatment is an intense moisturizing conditioner and it doesn't have to be a DC either. Never mind at least you know for next time.
Good to know, ladies~! My hair has been fabulous, so I'm just moving forward.

I did the protein as a pre poo.. Not a good idea?

:spinning:

IMO, a protein pre-poo is fine. I believe Macherieamour does hers that way. You would just have to follow w/ a very moisturizing poo & conditioner. Try it that way next time & see what happens.

How long did you leave the protein in your hair? Did you use heat?

IMO, a protein pre-poo is fine. I believe Macherieamour does hers that way. You would just have to follow w/ a very moisturizing poo & conditioner. Try it that way next time & see what happens.

yep, that is who I learned about it from bc my hair acts funny about protein. I prefer to do it as a prepoo and wash it out.

I used a turbie towel soaked in hot water and kept it on for about 45 minutes... I'm ALL about what macherieamour does... :drunk:

I think a lot of people (in general, not really directed @ the OP) are trying methods that work for people with different hair types or for a specific hair need unlike what their own hair needs at the current moment. The same goes for a review of a product on non-clarified hair :rolleyes:...

So for example, if your hair needs moisture and you give it protein, clearly the products will not work for you the way they worked for someone else who actually needed protein, even if both of you have the exact same hair type. Now, if you feel your hair needs protein at the moment, and normal protein on clean wet hair doesn't work for you, then try it a different way.
I advise everyone to try things based on your hair type and specific hair need (before saying something "doesn't work"). Wait until you need a type of product (moisture/protein) to try it, so that your hair gives it a fair shot.

In general a method that a coarse-hair uses may not work for a fine-hair (like pre-pooing your protein or using an extra-thick moisturizer). Now if you're just bored and want to try it anyway, then go ahead, but just be aware that there may be consequences :look:

If a product doesn't work for you one time, just remember that there are so many factors that go into that one experience; that one time could just be a fluke...Shoot, see Gymfreak's thread re: Kenra :giggle: (I luv ya, Gym!)

I actually don't know WHEN my hair needs protein, I was told by my stylist to do a protein treatment 1x a month.

I'm just trying to be proactive -- I'm not sure WHAT my hair needs, YET.

My hair was in great condition prior to washing. Even tho I had a time of it detangling my hair is still fine. If it is dry after comb out, I have plenty of moisturizers to help.

I think a lot of people (in general, not really directed @ the OP) are trying methods that work for people with different hair types or for a specific hair need unlike what their own hair needs at the current moment. The same goes for a review of a product on non-clarified hair :rolleyes:...

So for example, if your hair needs moisture and you give it protein, clearly the products will not work for you the way they worked for someone else who actually needed protein, even if both of you have the exact same hair type. Now, if you feel your hair needs protein at the moment, and normal protein on clean wet hair doesn't work for you, then try it a different way.
I advise everyone to try things based on your hair type and specific hair need (before saying something "doesn't work"). Wait until you need a type of product (moisture/protein) to try it, so that your hair gives it a fair shot.

In general a method that a coarse-hair uses may not work for a fine-hair (like pre-pooing your protein or using an extra-thick moisturizer). Now if you're just bored and want to try it anyway, then go ahead, but just be aware that there may be consequences :look:

If a product doesn't work for you one time, just remember that there are so many factors that go into that one experience; that one time could just be a fluke...Shoot, see Gymfreak's thread re: Kenra :giggle: (I luv ya, Gym!)

Well put, Artemis. A lesson we must all take so seriously. I/my hair do not like JOICO at all. Many people rave about it, luckily I bought a very small bottle so no big loss..does nothing for me, same as ABBA...that stuff is so expensive yet it leaves my ends dry, curled up and squirrel chewed, still looking for some type of use for it...what works for one may not do sqit for you.

I actually don't know WHEN my hair needs protein, I was told by my stylist to do a protein treatment 1x a month.

I'm just trying to be proactive -- I'm not sure WHAT my hair needs, YET.

My hair was in great condition prior to washing. Even tho I had a time of it detangling my hair is still fine. If it is dry after comb out, I have plenty of moisturizers to help.

Vevs, I advise you to go search all of Sistaslick's throwback articles she posted on this board. BEFORE she created the Associated Content ones...That will help with your hair and determining what it needs, when. Look for the words "wet assess"...I believe it's the "Breakage 101" thread.

Your stylist meant well by saying to protein 1x/month, but that is just a general tip that may or may not be what your hair needs. Again, it's based on your starting point prior to the use of the product. I used to do heavy protein (Aphogee) every 8 wks, but then I noticed that my hair wouldn't get hard no matter how long I used it under the dryer. Because I didn't need that kind of protein anymore. I was using Joico that had a little bit of protein in every product...So now I use K-pak 2x/month for 5 min in the shower, then do my regular DC but no longer than 20 min w/heat (which is done 1x/wk, every week).

Bottom line, you and your hair will determine when to use what, not anyone else. And it's going to take time, so just listen to your hair.

Well put, Artemis. A lesson we must all take so seriously. I/my hair do not like JOICO at all. Many people rave about it, luckily I bought a very small bottle so no big loss..does nothing for me, same as ABBA...that stuff is so expensive yet it leaves my ends dry, curled up and squirrel chewed, still looking for some type of use for it...what works for one may not do sqit for you.

Yeah, I'm finding that Joico-lovers are a rare breed (which, for me is great, b/c I'll always have access to it :giggle:)

I'm finding that those who love it are those who need a constant moisture/protein balance, not someone who needs more moisture all the time, or more protein...Maybe that fact will help you determine the types of products your hair does really like.

Abba is the same way. :nono: It's meant for a specific hair type/need, and clearly that type wasn't for you. Sorry a/b that :ohwell:. But, hey, at least you know now...

:yep::yep: ITA with everything posted. I have written off many a product as crap but now looking back at it, I just didn't need what it offered. At the time I was trying kenra for the first time, my hair was damaged beyond repair. The only conditioners I loved at the time were packed with silicone and nothing else. The silicone coated my parched broomstick straw hair to make it feel like it was okay but that was it.

:yep::yep: ITA with everything posted. I have written off many a product as crap but now looking back at it, I just didn't need what it offered. At the time I was trying kenra for the first time, my hair was damaged beyond repair. The only conditioners I loved at the time were packed with silicone and nothing else. The silicone coated my parched broomstick straw hair to make it feel like it was okay but that was it.

Good point....Im finding myself having to revisit many products I wrote off a couple of years ago when my hair was damaged beyond repair. I may actually like them now that my hair is in decent condition and I have a new head of hair. Most of the time I like them!

Vev, a lot of ppl do protein as a prepoo, especially if their hair is sensitive to protein. What shampoo did you use? Maybe next time u should use something like CON or just cowash it out. I wasnt too impressed with Joico K pak moisturizing conditioner either...but I use it as part of the 4 step system sometimes. I added a little oil to it and that helped. Also I like to use leave ins with lots of slip like giovanni direct, africas best hair mayo, or lacio lacio. They make detangling a breeze.

Co-signing on these two. My hair loves them both. Lacio lacio has both protein and moisture but it works well on my hair. Co-washing is always a good plus in my books too.

Vev, take Artemis's advice on searching for Sistaslick's articles on breakage 101. That article and many of her other ones saved my hair more than a dozen times already.

Back