Ok my first dilemma as a natural

Glib Gurl

For the last week or so I've been rocking a puff with a headband . . . and I'm starting to feel a little like Countess Vaugn from her 227 days . . .

images

My hair is not long enough to do flat twists or anything . . . but also too long to do the little finger coils . . .

Style suggestions??

In the meantime, I'm going to find some more cute headbands and earrings . . . .

Too long for finger curls? I don't think that length of hair is too long.

Have you considered twist outs? Or maybe palm rolling, the Felicia Leatherwood method for getting texture?

If you don't mind extensions try box braids or kinky or senegalese twists to take the pressure off your hair. When you take them out you'll have gained enough length to try some new things. They helped me a lot when I first bc'd and I was so excited to play with my hair again that I never wore them again.

I basically rocked headbands for a good 4 months (BCd to caesar cut) untill I had enough hair to do cornrows at the front and puff at the back.

but as westNDNbeauty said ... finger coils are for any length hair , if you dont like how they lokk when they are too long (I dont because they look like worms and I feel like medusa) use them only to set the style ... and separate them for a nice textured look as she also suggested.

I have no suggestions (never had natural hair that short) but I totally forgot that Countess Vaughn was on 227!

ETA - these styles are cute
images

short-natural-hair-styles-1.jpg

images

Last edited:
two strand twists, finger coils, mini knots, etc..... you can do flat twist in the front and two strand twist the rest.
DSCN1079.jpg

I basically rocked headbands for a good 4 months (BCd to caesar cut) untill I had enough hair to do cornrows at the front and puff at the back.

but as westNDNbeauty said ... finger coils are for any length hair , if you dont like how they lokk when they are too long (I dont because they look like worms and I feel like medusa) use them only to set the style ... and separate them for a nice textured look as she also suggested.

I believe you can do finger coils up to shoulder length hair perhaps even longer but they'll have a tendency to get loose at the top.

If you make them small enough and you break them up a big, they should look similar to a straw set without all the fuss and headache of setting the hair on tiny straws or flexirods.

It's going to take some time for you to get used to your new hair and you will. These early days will be far into the past with you having moved on and up to bigger and better things :)

Congrats and HHG Glib Gurl!!

I say nix the headbands completely and just do wash no gos, palm rolls, twist outs, etc. like other posters have suggested. I've never seen a twa gone wrong on anybody and don't see the need for hair accessories.

When I had a TWA I just defined my coils and k.i.m. I think doing too much to a twa definately makes people look like children by the head...especially when they add the little head bands.

Glib, just get some curl defining cream. If you can't define your hair with your fingers, take the palm of your hand and go around your head in a circular motion. That will define it for you (there was a video for this technique somewhere around here). When that's done just shape it the way you want it: make some portions longer, some shorter, smooth your edges, etc.

I know growing out a twa can be a lil' frustrating, but hang in there.:Rose: This stage in your hair journey will be over before you know it.

At the time I had a twa I did roller sets on perm rods, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have rocked finger coils for minute or two.:yep:

I don't have any images of my own hair in finger coils, but I do have some of my son's hair worn this way. I would style his hair this way when he made the decision to grow it long.

You can see starting with the image on the top left going to the right that he wore his hair this way as his hair grew longer. The pic on the bottom left is after he rinsed it, shook it (removing most of the water) and allowed it to air dry. He even went swimming wearing this style. Pic on the top right is of his hair getting wet after plunging in the water a few times.

HTH!

Last edited:
I say ditch hair accessories for a while and just wear your hair in a wash n go. Experiment with different gels/puddings for enhancing a curl pattern or slicking down the sides/edges alittle.
With very short hair i always think flowers look as though they are just perched on the head and headbands look pointless.

I bet your hair is longer than you think. I would say play around with it. I bc'ed in November and I have been having fun with my TWA. You say it too short for flat twist. Have you tried it? My hair is shorter than everyone on here and I am not limited to styles. I flat twist it, twistout, afros, the mushroom, just whatever I feel up to. I think you should get on youtube and find people who have twa and do what they do. Find some good tutorial and take note. Check out fotki of people who have been there and were not limited to a different array of styles. I am with you all the way. HHG muah.

I agree with Theresamonet and Bublin, I would just do wash and goes and ditch the headbands. If you don't want to deal with your hair one day wrap it up in a nice silk scarf, there are tons of ways you could rock a scarf.

Thanks everyone for your feedback . . . a few follow-ups

Try doing mini twists.

Hmm...what are these mini-twists you speak of :think: :idea: I actually have been doing little "twists" before going to bed and then taking them out in the morning . . . will hop on yt to see if I can learn more

This is all good to know. I think I will probably stick with the headbands because I'm not feeling the complete wash-n-go look right now . . . I feel like there is no "style" to it . . . just curls everywhere. (If you can't tell I was always pulling my hair back when it was relaxed :grin:)

You say it too short for flat twist. Have you tried it?

yes and I guess it's more appropriate to say that my hair is too short for ME to do flat twists . . . I'm sure in the hands of a more experienced person they would twist quite nicely . . .

When my hair was about 3-4 inches and I couldn't get it into a neat puff, and wanted a break from the W'n'G, I used 3 or 4 of the thicker goody elastic headbands spaced a little apart. I pushed one has far back as it could go with all my hair behind it and then spaced the rest evenly coming foreward. I am not sure if you have tried it before, but if not it was, to me, a more grown-up look.

You can do a lot! Set your hair on perm rods, mini twists, twist outs, fro with headbands and accessories, flat twists on the sides of your head to create a frowhawk...

OP, you have so many options available to you.

How long is your hair? From your siggie pic, it looks like you could definitely do fingercoils. Here's some pictures from when my hair was around 5 inches or so.

DSC02953-vi.jpg

DSC02748-vi.jpg

There are some really pretty hair accessories out there besides headbands, barrets, flowers, bejeweled bobby pins. I played up my makeup when I big chopped, my eyes, lipstick, earrings. Your hair isn't your only accessory!

Back