Ok...maybe someone understands this.....

soslychic

This is the look I'm going for with color.........
A dark brown base with nice red highlights that arn't bright but blend in nicely with the
dark brown, maybe more like an auburn plus some caramel blond or strawberry blond
highlites.

I'm not planning on doing this until my hair gets into top tip conditioner and even then I'm
gonna step up the conditioning even more than now, so I'm pretty sure that I can do this
without damage, plus I'm thinking that the auburn part I may be able to do without
bleaching (some enlighten me {no pun intended}
trampoline.gif
if I'm wrong about that. my hair is off
black or a dark brown) So the only damaging part would be the blond highlites and I'm not
planning on having a huge amount of those..........so

Now my questions: How do you suggest I go about doing this? I was thinking a dark
brown/auburn permanent color and then all I'd have to do is get the highlites put in and I
was thinking maybe my hair is already dark brown (I'm not positive because the sun had
bleached it and I've been wearing braids so I'll have to see) and then I could get red and
blond highlites or....ok...you see....I'm a little clueless and confused about actual color. I've
never used it before.

Next question: How on earth do you "touch up" haircolor when it's highlites? Just....how
does that work?

And final question: How do I go about learning how to do this myself (I know, I know
you're thinking she's this clueless about the whole thing and now she's gonna try to do it
ALONE!! Well not exactly the first time. But I'm DYING to learn. My goal is to be
COMPLETELY independent from salons (I havn't been to one in like 3 years) so please
point me in the right direction)
trampoline.gif

Permanent color on top of a relaxer with highlights on top....

Sounds like a recipe for DISASTER SSC.
crazy.gif

Please please please give more info. I promise I'll try to tell you the safest way to go - but you mentioned in another thread that you wanted to use a permanent color that has no ammonia or peroxide and I want to know what you mean...

Whatever you do, as in depth and tricky a process as this is, it dhouldn't be tried alone. *I* wouldn't even do it and I'm pretty comfortable with color....

I've had my hair highlighted...then highlighted again...then permanently colored all over (bleached) and then the roots touched up again, with the permanent color hitting the ends. So far, no disaster.
nono.gif
But you have to take extra care of your hair though. And all that color could possibly dry out your hair, just to warn you. The stylist can apply the first permanent color base first. Then, I would suggest that you go back a month or so later for the highlites added. That way, you'll have more time to get used to your hair already being colored and you can see if it can take more chemicals. But soslychic, do not try this at home. So, exactly what colors are you talking about doing? Here, pick them out!
trampoline.gif

http://www.dosfordonts.com/haircolor.html

Hey great chart! Thanks.. Well since I posted that, I've changed my mind (naturally
smile.gif
smile.gif

So I'm gonna leave my hair base and just get the highlites and no, I probably won't be
attempting that by myself as I think about it. So the color highlites I want are: like that chestnut, medium auburn, or burgundy auburn (all under red). that gives you an idea for the red.
and for the blond,
the 103 b strawberry blonde (just a few thin highlites)

And what are the these different methods? Like capping or foiling or that little comb? (no i'm still not trying it myself i'm just curious) .
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

What about using l'Oreal color Expert . It comes so that you can color and highlight all in one. What do you guys think of this product ?

When I use to highlight my hair my beautician would bleach my hair this light orangey mess and then rinse my hair red so the rinse can show in more parts then others

I loved it

But the only CON about this is that I always had to keep wearing a rinse because the color he bleched my hair was horrible looking (IMO)

SSC - if you don't lighten your base you can do the highlights with permanent color. Otherwise what Zoe detailed is the standard practice.
smile.gif

Just my opinion,

With a relaxer and/or chemicals already on the hair, consider using Henna. It is a great natural colorant with no chemicals. Try it, you just may like it.

you should never experiment with color yourself! go to a professional!!!

saving the extra money isn't worth it! trust me on this!!!

highlighting harms the hair..you must deep condition at least 2x a week...

leave in conditioners daily!

[ QUOTE ]
Just my opinion,

With a relaxer and/or chemicals already on the hair, consider using Henna. It is a great natural colorant with no chemicals. Try it, you just may like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Henna produce a reddish tint? How long does it last?

[ QUOTE ]
SSC - if you don't lighten your base you can do the highlights with permanent color. Otherwise what Zoe detailed is the standard practice.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean, if you don't lighten your base?

Back