OK, Has anyone here seen these?

TwistNMx

I saw this very interesting style in a movie last night. It's not yarn twists right? (I forgot the real name for the yarn style). :look: Sorry the shot is so big. I took it from television.
My reaction was like Oh wow! Is this another protective method for naturals or similar to banding? It appears to be some type of cloth wrapped around the hair.
If anyone here knows this, please enlighten me on what it is, etc. :yep:
Thanks.
Oh, by the way it was in africa.
DSC02069.JPG

I remember reading about this before. I forget what part of Africa it is in but I remember reading that it's a type of clay used in the hair/coated on the hair that makes it this way.

Ok thought it was clay but I was wrong....I knew it was something they put in the hair.

http://goafrica.about.com/library/bl.himba.htm

"The Himba are a striking people to look at. The women are topless and wear mini-skirts made of goat skins adorned with shells and jewellery made of iron and copper. The men wear goatskin loin cloths. Both men and women smear their skin with a mixture of rancid butter, ash and ochre to protect them from the harsh desert climate. The paste (Otjize) is often mixed with the aromatic resin of the Omuzumba shrub, a little like adding perfume to a suntan lotion. As well as protection from the sun, the deep red colour is a highly desirable look in the Himba culture. It is certainly eye-catching and very beautiful. The Himba use the same paste (Otjize) in their hair which is long and plaited into intricate designs. You can tell the marital status of a Himba lady by the way she wears her hair. The men also change their hairstyle to denote their social position. A married man for example wears his hair in a turban. "

himbayoungladiescr.jpg

I don't know what these are, but the movie is Babies, right? Not to hijack, but how was it?

I did not see it from that movie perse'. It was one of the previews from something else we watched last night called "Pirate Radio". You know when you have to see all of the previews of other movies before you can actually see the one you rented? Well that's how I discoverd this woman and her hair. :yep:

Ok thought it was clay but I was wrong....I knew it was something they put in the hair.

"The Himba are a striking people to look at. The women are topless and wear mini-skirts made of goat skins adorned with shells and jewellery made of iron and copper. The men wear goatskin loin cloths. Both men and women smear their skin with a mixture of rancid butter, ash and ochre to protect them from the harsh desert climate. The paste (Otjize) is often mixed with the aromatic resin of the Omuzumba shrub, a little like adding perfume to a suntan lotion. As well as protection from the sun, the deep red colour is a highly desirable look in the Himba culture. It is certainly eye-catching and very beautiful. The Himba use the same paste (Otjize) in their hair which is long and plaited into intricate designs. You can tell the marital status of a Himba lady by the way she wears her hair. The men also change their hairstyle to denote their social position. A married man for example wears his hair in a turban. "

himbayoungladiescr.jpg

Thank you for the information. I'm always seeking knowledge. :yep:
I agree with the bolded part. It caught my eye. :yep:
I will check out the link you gave here. :yep:
I'm just wondering if this is a protective style and if this is the length of their hair. I'm facinated. :yep:

Thanks Summer79,
Now your link has led me to this pix search:
HimbaHair_000.jpg

It appears a little bit different....doesn't it? So now I'm not sure if it's cloth, clay, or what. I like the original picture better. :yep:
The original picture (as a matter of fact) reminds me of the video someone here presented on braidouts with strips of silk.:yep:

Thanks Summer79,
Now your link has led me to this pix search:
HimbaHair_000.jpg

It appears a little bit different....doesn't it? So now I'm not sure if it's cloth, clay, or what. I like the original picture better. :yep:
The original picture (as a matter of fact) reminds me of the video someone here presented on braidouts with strips of silk.:yep:

I remember that braid out with the strips of cloth, I still want to try that! I just know whatever it is it's beautiful. I'm like you, I just love to soak up all the knowledge I can.:yawn:

^^ It is clay - they mix the ochre (a type of red earth) with fat. The same basic principle behind say lipstick. About the "rancidity" - I believe that's the writer's impression. It's probably ghee which does smell funny if you aren't used to it, but it's not rancid. I don't know why people would be adding essential oils to rancid butter.

I think their hair is either braided, twisted or locked underneath the clay. I do get frustrated with these photographers coz they never ask the questions a black woman wants to know - like - "excuse me, how'd you get your hair like that??".

^^ It is clay - they mix the ochre (a type of red earth) with fat. The same basic principle behind say lipstick. About the "rancidity" - I believe that's the writer's impression. It's probably ghee which does smell funny if you aren't used to it, but it's not rancid. I don't know why people would be adding essential oils to rancid butter.

I think their hair is either braided, twisted or locked underneath the clay. I do get frustrated with these photographers coz they never ask the questions a black woman wants to know - like - "excuse me, how'd you get your hair like that??".

Ok thanks! I also thought "rancid" was a bit off as well.

I know what you mean. I guess most of the people here don't feel it's important enough, but I totally agree. :yep:
I wondered if it were clay if it were locked or just a style.:spinning:

As far as ghee is concerned, yes it's rancid. You can buy that at an indian store, but it's not for me.

I always wondered what that stuff was that they put on their skin and hair. They must have beautiful clear skin under the paste they apply. I don't see one pimple.

Back