Ok 4a naturals.......

FtrDrO

Am i the only one whose hair gets ripped out by just about anything?? My curls are super tight. When I try to do anything, no matter how gentle i'm trying to be, I can count on losing hair because my hair curls around the ends of the comb or brush, may get caught on my fingers if trying to finger comb, and is constantly curling around itself and forming knots. Does anyone else have this issue? Any remedies? It hasn't noticeably stunted my growth but I HATE the sound of my hair snapping.

Hmmm...this ONLY happens to me when my hair is dry or lacks protein.... What kind of comb are you using? The thing that helps me is that if my hair is making "noises" when I comb, I go back and moisturize (I like Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner) then try again...if my hair is still breaking while moisturized ---I either need a protein treatment or Porosity Control. Hope this helps. :)

sounds like your hair is not fully detangled. I would recommend that you sit with it for a few hours, and fully remove every single knot/tangle you find, then try to keep it from tangling in the first place. for some people, this means washing and drying in braids.

I don't know how long your hair is but I have a twa approx 3inches. And I have tightly coiled hair. I use a generic denman brush while my hair is wet with conditioner in it. I hardly have any hair come out. Then I sometimes shingle my hair with a rat tail comb but again maybe 5pieces. Thats if I'm raking the ish out of it. LOL. HOpe this helps

Am i the only one whose hair gets ripped out by just about anything?? My curls are super tight. When I try to do anything, no matter how gentle i'm trying to be, I can count on losing hair because my hair curls around the ends of the comb or brush, may get caught on my fingers if trying to finger comb, and is constantly curling around itself and forming knots. Does anyone else have this issue? Any remedies? It hasn't noticeably stunted my growth but I HATE the sound of my hair snapping.

I know exactly what your talking about. I have three different textures (3C in the front, 4a on back and side and 4b in my crown). Every time I comb I am losing hair. After I comb I have to sweep the floor because there are little knots all over the floor.

I have no idea what is causing all the knots and tangles. I do regular protein treatments and moisturize morning and night. I never touch my hair dry. I do know that this is the reason I have been the same length for 3 years now. It's frustrating because if I don't detangle daily it tangles and knots and when I do it breaks off.:sad:

Does this happen when your hair is wet or dry?
Manipulating 4a 4b hair when it is in a dry state is a bad idea (unless it's been straightened)

Please tell us more about the circumstances when this happens to you.

I occasionally hear the snapping even when it's wet with conditioner but it's rare and usually just means that I'm working with sections that are too big.

Do you have fine strands? I do .. I mean there's lots of them, making my hair feel thick... but each individual strand seems quite thin on its own. The only way I've combated this problem is regular DC'ing and Cassia treatments ... maybe protein treatments would help???

This happens to me too it doesnt matter how much I detangle, moisturize or use protein I still get knots. My hair does not wrap around the comb and break, my problem is it wraps around it self and causes knots and twist:wallbash:. I have three textures (3c,4a,4b) it is hell come wash days and mind you I wash in braids. loading with conditioner does not work either. What helps me sometimes is actually detangle very, very small sections and notice I said sometimes. For me it is a crap shoot, if my hair feels like behaving I am happy but if not I say a prayer and get to work. Sorry I am no help, just wanted you to know u are not alone.

Thanks everyone....to answer some of your questions, when I comb, I use my conair detangling comb or a wide tooth comb usually while wet or at least damp. I am gentle, combing from end to root. My hair is fine but very dense. Despite the fact that my hair is not a fan of protein, I did just do a protein treatment yesterday because I felt that my hair needed it. It feels stronger but after moisturizing with a leave in and my shea butter yesterday, today it was feeling dry again. I usually try to detangle in sections and let it dry in twists. I think I do notice my detangling is a little better when I do it that way. But honestly, I believe that this happens when manipulating my hair period: wet, dry, while twisting, braiding...I guess my hair just like being touched....at all:ohwell: I might try the porosity control. It's been a few weeks since I last implemented that.

Mine used to give me the same problems until I started adding coconut oil to my conditioner (EVOO makes my hair too oily). After I cowash with the mix my hair is so easy to comb through with no getting tangled or ripped out once dry.

I hardly get any hair out of the comb. I recently gave my hair a very thorough detngling after 3 weeks and the ball of hair was only as big as a marble. :)

I have found ZERO single strand knots as a natural. I used to get them all the time texlaxed.

The only thing I use to detangle my hair are evoo, coconut oil and castor oil. The coconut oil and castor oil are good, but I find that the evoo needs to be used with those. Evoo is the most slippery and I can even use it alone :)

On very damp or wet hair, I heavily apply the oil, then detangle. Usually with a wide toothed comb, but if I want to do a thorough job, I follow with a small toothed comb.

That's it. Best detangler ever.

Usually after this I let the oil sit in my hair for an oil treatment, then wash it out and DC.

Back