Oils 101

ReignLocks

In my never ending search for what works best for my hair, I've become very interested in oils. I've been going through the threads trying to figure out the different kinds and what they provide for the hair. However, being the smart divas that you are :bookworm:, when oils are discussed, it is usually in regards to a regime therefore it's listed but not explained. :sad: I think that the veteran HHJ divas, primarily know what they are used for so there is no need for explanations.

Please educate me and other newbies on the different types of oils and what they provide for hair. Also, if there is an acronym associated with the oil, please list it. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck EVCO is :lachen: :nono:

Ie. Hempseed, garlic, sunflower, etc...

Last edited:
@ReignLocks EVCO can be used for sealing and many use it for moisture, I say it does both but for me not enough noticeable moisture but great sealant.
my faves are Grapeseed oil, EVCO, and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
here is some info I found when I started my journey. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/grapeseed-oil-for-hair.html look up anything oil you can think of and they can tell u what it is good for then come here and search it to see what members are saying. Thats how I did it.

Last edited:
ReignLocks - I'm not a big fan of using coconut oil for sealing, but I do like it blended in rinse out conditioners and as a prepoo treatment. I typically use it as a carrier oil for herbal infusions, especially Ayurvedic ones.

For sealing, I like jojoba, olive, castor, almond and walnut oil - usually blended, rarely alone.

Ceramides are a particular classification of oils that's beneficial to the hair. A list of oils with ceramides are here. There is also a ceramides challenge here. That link will tell you what they actually do for the hair.

Great thread - asking for explanations on which oils do what. You're right, you'll find lots of threads on different oils being mentioned in general but no so much specifically on what they do. I'm no expert, but if I had to stab at it, I would think that oils all typically have the same function in conditioning the hair. I don't think oils moisturize per se, but they will hold the moisture that's in your hair for you = seal.

Some of the more experienced oil users may break it down for you in terms of molecular functions, which oils penetrate the shaft and which ones don't, or which oils contain ceramides, etc.

It seems that you must try different oils to see how compatible they are with your hair. For me, I have fine hair so I tend to like the lighter oils vs. the heavier ones. I also prefer using oils as prepoo's or inside deep conditioners rather than after styling my hair.

Just my two cents. I'll sub this thread because it's a great question.

Not really a veteran but this is what I found through my research:)

Oil: Acai
The Acai Palm, also known as the Assai Palm, is a species of palm trees native to Brazil and other regions of South and Central America. The Acai Palm bears small, dark purple grape-sized berries that each contain one large seed. The small berries have been prized for generations by the region's tribes for the healing and energizing sustenance that they provide both as an edible fruit and nutritive oil.
Acai Berry Oil, Euterpe oleracea, is deep golden to light brown in color and has a mild yet pleasant fruity aroma. It possesses an impressive combination of Omega 6 and Omega 9 essential fatty acids, phytosterols, vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids. Acai Berry Oil is rich in anthocyanins and phenols making the oil a very powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. Its significant content of anthocyanins is reported to be 10-30 times higher than the anthocyanin content of red wine grapes. Acai Oil's rich array of nutrients and anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory action make the oil a remarkable ingredient for use in anti-aging personal care products. Acai Oil is highly emollient and is an effective moisturizing oil for products intended to heal dry and cracked skin, eczema and psoriasis. This oil penetrates the skin quickly, acting as an excellent emollient carrier oil. It is a highly beneficial ingredient in formulations intended to treat acne, reduce swelling and ease muscular aches and pains. Studies have revealed that the phenols contains in Acai Berry Oil help protect against the damage of free-radicals and may help destroy and protect against cancer cell formation.
Acai Berry Oil Properties:
• Highly Moisturizing
• Natural Emollient
• Restores Elasticity to the Skin
• Powerful Anti-oxidant Properties
• Strong Anti-Inflammatory
• Anti-bacterial
• Protects Skin from Free Radicals
• May Help Destroy and Prevent Cancer Cell Formation
• Quick Absorption
• Mild, Sweet Fruity Aroma
• Rich in Essential Fatty Acids
o Oleic Acid: 55% ± 10.0%
o Linoleic Acid: 45% ± 10.0%
o Palmitic Acid: 16.0% ± 5.0%
o Stearic Acid: 1.4% ± 0.2%
o Linolenic Acid: 1.4% ± 0.2%
o Lauric Acid: Trace
o Palmitoleic Acid: Trace
• Rich in Vitamins
o Vitamin B1
o Vitamin B2
o Vitamin B3
o Vitamin C
o Vitamin E
• Rich in Minerals
o Iron
o Phosphorus
o Calcium
o Potassium
• Rich in Phytosterols
• Rich in Anthocyanins
• High in Essential Amino-Acids
Acai Berry Oil is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Damaged Hair
• Acne
• Eczema, Psoriasis and Other Skin Conditions
• Muscular Aches and Swelling
Oil: Almond, Sweet
Our sweet almond oil is cold pressed from 100% pure almond nuts and then gently refined. This high quality nut oil is a great emollient for softening and conditioning the skin and hair. It is well suited for eczema, psoriasis and itchy, dry and inflamed skin. It is rich in essential fatty acids and vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and E. Sweet almond oil is light and penetrates easily, making it a great aromatherapy carrier oil, massage oil or after bath oil. Use it in creams, lotions, lotion bars, balms, scrubs, massage oils and soap. It saponifies easily and yields a mild soap with good lather. It can be used as a large percentage of the fats or as an oil added at trace. It is always best to use an antioxidant when using sweet almond oil in your formulations.
Oil: Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera oil is produced by macerating aloe vera leaves in soybean oil. Use aloe vera oil in lip balms, creams, lotions, body butters, hair oil treatments and other skin care formulations. By using the oil, you can add the healing properties of aloe vera to your product without needing to worry about the bacterial and mold growth that can occur when using the pure gel. Use aloe vera oil at 5-10% in most formulations.
Oil: Andiroba (Refined)
Andiroba Oil, Carapa guianensis, has been used for generations by Amazonian tribes to heal skin conditions and to treat muscular aches and pains. Andiroba Oil is golden in color and has a mild, fruity aroma. It possesses a unique combination of essential fatty acids and anti-inflammatory compounds. Andiroba Oil is highly emollient and is an effective moisturizing oil for products intended to heal dry and cracked skin, eczema and psoriasis. This oil penetrates the skin quickly, acting as an excellent emollient carrier oil. The content of limonoids and triterpenes within Andiroba Oil makes it a noteworthy anti-inflammatory. It is a highly beneficial ingredient in formulations intended to treat acne, reduce swelling and ease muscular aches and pains. Andiroba Oil also acts as a noteworthy insect repellent. Andiroba Oil has traditionally been used in soap making for specialty soaps intended to aid skin conditions and to help ward off insects.
Properties:
• Highly Moisturizing
• Natural Emollient
• Light, Penetrative Consistency
• Quick Absorption
• Rich in Essential Fatty Acids
o Oleic Acid: 50.5%
o Palmitic Acid: 28%
o Linoleic Acid: 9%
o Stearic Acid: 8.1%
o Arachidic Acid: 1.2%
o Palmitoleic Acid: 1%
o Linolenic Acid: 0.3%
• High in Limonoids and Triterpenes and Offer Anti-inflammatory and Anti-rheumatic Action
• Possesses Strong Insect Repellent Properties
Andiroba Oil is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Acne
• Protection Against Insect Bites
• Treatment of Insect Bites and Stings
Oil: Apricot Kernel (Refined)
Our Apricot Kernel Oil is cold pressed from 100% pure apricot kernels and then gently refined. Apricot Kernel Oil is a light, yet emollient oil that is high in oleic and linoleic acids. It is similar in feel and properties to Sweet Almond Oil and is readily absorbed into the skin. It is recommended for mature skin, sensitive skin and skin that is inflamed, irritated or dry. Apricot Kernel Oil makes a wonderful massage oil for babies and adults and is used extensively in aromatherapy. As an emollient oil, it is great for use in face and body creams, lotions, balms, lip care, hair care and soaps.
Oil: Argan, Deodorized
Argan Oil is pressed from the fruits of the Argan Tree (Argania spinosa), a tree that is native to Morocco and known to live up to 200 years. For centuries, Moroccans have used Argan Oil in skin care and within their nutritious diet.
Argan Oil remains one of the rarest oils in the world. A very labor intensive process, performed primarily by Moroccan women, is required to shell and crush the fruits prior to pressing the oil.
Argan Oil possesses a remarkable ability to nourish, moisturize and improve skin elasticity. The oil is high in lipids including the omega-9 oleic acid and the omega-6 linoleic acid. Argan oil can be effective in treating dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, acne and sunburned skin. It is a good choice for inclusion in formulations for maturing skin. Its high polyphenol content makes it a strong anti-oxidant and adds to its stable shelf life. Argan oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties and is a a highly beneficial addition to formulations intended to reduce swelling and ease muscular aches and pains.
Argan Oil Properties:
• Absorbs Quickly
• Highly Moisturizing
• Golden in Color with Moderate Viscosity
• Rich in Alpha Tocopherols (Vitamin E)
• Rich in Phenols and Phenolic Acid
• Rich in Carotenes
• Natural Anti-Oxidant
• Anti-Inflammatory
• High in Fatty and Essential Fatty Acids:
o Palmitic Acid: 14%
o Stearic Acid: 5%
o Oleic Acid: 43.5%
o Linoleic Acid: 37%
o Linolenic: <0.6%
• Rich in Squalene and May Help Protect Skin from Free Radicals that Cause Skin Cancer
Argan Oil is a Highly Recommended Ingredient in Personal Care Products Intended for the Following:
• Anti-Aging and Wrinkle Reduction
• Acne
• Psoriasis
• Eczema
• Acne and Other Skin Conditions
• Sunburn
• Stretch Marks
• Damaged Hair
• Dry Scalp
• Brittle Nails
• Sore or Stiff Muscles
• General Aches and Pains

Oil: Arnica
Arnica Oil is known for its ability to reduce inflammation and bruising. The oil is created by infusing arnica flowers in soybean oil. 10 parts of this oil are equal to 1 part arnica blossoms. Use Arnica Oil to create salves and ointments for bruises. Arnica Oil is said to help promote hair growth and can be used in hair care preparations at 5-10%.
Do not apply to broken skin.
Oil: Avocado, Refined
Our avocado oil is cold pressed and refined for stable shelf life. Avocado oil has been used in African skin treatments for centuries. This highly therapeutic oil is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B5 (Panthothenic acid), Vitamin D, E, minerals, protein, lecithin and fatty acids. It is a useful, penetrating nutrient for dry skin and eczema. Avocado oil is said to have healing and regenerating qualities. It should be used as a massage oil at 10% dilution. Use in creams, lotions, balms, body butters, hair oils and lip balms. It also has a high percentage of unsaponifiables, making it a nice oil to use in soap. Although it can be used as a major portion of oils for a sensitive skin bar, it is costly. As such, most soap makers use a small percentage of avocado oil.
Oil: Baobab
Baobab oil (Mbuyu in Swahili) is derived from the seeds of the baobab tree, a tree that is native to Eastern and Southern Africa. Baobab oil has been part of African skin care for centuries. This rich, golden oil has a slightly nutty smell. It has a high content of vitamins A, D, E and F (essential fatty acids). Baobab oil is said to provide impressive moisturizing benefits to the skin and hair. It absorbs quickly, improves elasticity, encourages regeneration of skin cells and does not clog the pores. It is an excellent ingredient in formulations for eczema and psoriasis. Baobab oil is extremely stable against rancidity. Use in small percentages in creams, lotions, body butters and other skin care formulations.
Oil: Black Cumin Seed
Used since ancient times and highly regarded within folk medicine, Black Cumin Seed Oil, Nigella sativa, contains a wealth of nutrients and actives.
Black Cumin Seed Oil helps improve the condition of hair, skin, and nails and can be used directly or incorporated into lotions, creams, conditioners, soaps, serums, or balms. Black Cumin Seed Oil is known to be particularly effective at combatting auto-immune skin disorders, making it a natural choice for psoriasis treatment. It can also help to soothe acne and various forms of eczema. Black Cumin Seed Oil may also help relieve pain caused by arthritis or sore muscles and is an excellent choice for massage oil blends.
Containing a rich variety of vitamins including A, B1, B2, B6, C, Niacin and Folacin, Black Cumin Seed Oil is a nutritive addition to skin and hair care formulations. It also contains an impressive array of minerals including calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, selenium, copper, phosphorus and zinc. It is light brown in color and possesses an herbaceous aroma that is complemented nicely by citrus or other herbaceous essential oils and fragrances.
Oil: Black Raspberry Seed Oil
Cold pressed black raspberry seed oil contains 85% essential fatty acids of which 30% are Omega 3. It is rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients. In fact, it is one of nature's most potent antioxidants. Research shows significant radical scavanging properties of the oil making it a desirable ingredient in skin care. The oil goes on light and absorbs quickly into the skin. Use black raspberry seed oil in face creams, lotions, lip balms, hair care products and other formulations at 1-5%.
Oil: Blackberry Seed
Blackberry seed oil possesses a unique combination of antioxidants and essential fatty acids. It is a natural source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C can help combat wrinkles, blotches, large pores and other skin blemishes. The disadvantage of many Vitamin C ingredients is their tendency to oxidize quickly. Blackberry seed oil, however, contains a high proportion of Vitamin C yet possesses a stable shelf life of two years. Blackberry oil is an ideal oil for inclusion in formulations intended for blemished, damaged or maturing skin. Its strong antioxidant properties and stable shelf life can help to extend the life of more fragile ingredients included within the same formulation.
Oil: Blackcurrant
Blackcurrant seed oil is rich in gamma-linolenic acid, an important ingredient for maintaining the elasticity of the skin. Some individuals, most especially those with diabetes or high cholesterol are not able to convert linoleic acid into necessary gamma-linolenic acid. Gamma-linolenic acid is not common to many oils. Blackcurrant oil contains up to 20% GLA. Blackcurrant oil can be an effective addition to formulations for dry, devitalized, damaged and aging skin. It is also excellent in products for sensitive skin, eczema or psoriasis. Blackcurrant oil is also reported to boost the immune system, act as an anti-inflammatory and may be an effective addition to formulations intended to ease muscular and joint aches and pains. Blackcurrant seed oil can be used in any proportion within skin care, hair care, baby care and sun care products.
Oil: Blueberry Seed
Our cold pressed Blueberry Seed Oil is rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants and phytonutrients.
Blueberry Seed Oil is one of nature's most potent antioxidants. Research shows significant radical scavenging properties making Blueberry Seed Oil a desirable ingredient in skin care products.
Blueberry Seed Oil is light in viscosity, slightly greenish-yellow in hue, penetrates quickly and possesses a very pleasant, fresh, sweet, subtle fruity aroma. Its aroma is reminiscent to the aroma of our Strawberry Seed Oil.
Use Blueberry Seed Oil in face creams, lotions, lip balms, hair care products and other formulations at 1-5%. This is the perfect oil for facial serums.
Oil: Borage
Borage seed oil is one of the richest sources of gamma linolenic acid, and it also contains important vitamins and minerals. Borage seed oil is typically used in high-end cosmetic formulations to nourish and hydrate the skin. Use Borage oil in facial blends for maturing skin or in blends for damaged skin where regeneration of new skin cells is needed. Use at 10%.
Oil: Brazil Nut
Brazil Nut Oil, Bertholletia excelsa, is a light yet highly nourishing oil rich in essential fatty acids, selenium and vitamins. Its texture and aroma gives it great versatility for use in a wide array of innovative personal care products. Brazil Nut Oil's high selenium content offers strong anti-oxidant properties. When used in personal care products, Brazil Nut Oil hydrates and softens the skin.
Brazil Nut Oil Properties:
• Highly Moisturizing
• Natural Emollient
• Light Texture
• Quick Absorption
• Sweet Aroma
• High in Essential Fatty Acids
o Oleic Acid: 35.0 - 50.5%
o Linoleic Acid: 25.0 - 40.0%
o Palmitic Acid: 15.0 - 28.0%
o Stearic Acid: 6.0 - 9.0%
o Arachidic Acid: 1.0 - 1.5%
o Palmitoleic Acid: 0.5 - 1.0%
o Myristic Acid: 0.2 - 0.6%
o Linolenic Acid: 0.1 - 0.3%
• Rich in Selenium, a powerful Anti-oxidant
• High in Vitamins A, B, C and E
Brazil Nut Oil is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Dry, Brittle and Damaged Hair
• Lip Care

Oil: Broccoli Seed
Broccoli Seed Oil is cold pressed from the seeds of Brassica oleracea italica to yield an extra virgin, unrefined, odorless, pale green oil. The fatty acid profile of this oil provides excellent oxidative stability and non-greasy moisturizing properties, making Broccoli Seed Oil a valuable emollient in cosmetics and personal care.
Broccoli Seed Oil is gaining recognition as a natural alternative to the silicon in shampoos, conditioners and styling products where high sheen and luster are desired. The unique composition of fatty acids includes approximately 50% Erucic acid (C22:1). Erucic acid is an Omega-9 fatty acid that is useful for imparting a silicone-like sheen to hair.
When added to massage products, creams and lotions, the quick penetrating action of Broccoli Seed Oil helps reduce greasy after-feel, and it quickens hydration of the skin.
Broccoli Seed Oil Properties:
• Absorbs Quickly
• Non-Greasy Texture
• Highly Moisturizing
• Imparts Sheen and Luster Comparable to Silicone
• Significant Content of Erucic Acid (C22:1): Approximately 50%
• Arachidonic Acid (C20:4): Approximately 70-75%
• Rich in Vitamin A (Retinol): 1500-1800 IU/100g
• 80-85% Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids
Broccoli Seed Oil is Perfectly Suited for the Following Personal Care Applications:
• Shampoos
• Conditioners
• Styling Products
• Lotions and Creams
• Balms
• Lip Care Products
• Massage Products
Oil: Buriti Fruit
The buriti, also known as the moriche palm, is a large palm tree that grows in swamp regions of South America. Natives refer to it as the Life Tree. The buriti tree bears a sweet fruit with a brown, scaly exterior and yellow pulp. The pulp is extremely rich in essential fatty acids and carotenoids, including beta-carotene. Buriti seed oil is considered to be one of the richest sources of beta-carotene, with levels exceeding that of carrot seed oil. Brasilian natives treat the buriti tree as sacred because it contains the nutrients and support needed to sustain life. Natives use the oil to protect the skin and to treat a variety of skin conditions including burns and sunburn.
Buriti Fruit Oil, Mauritia flexuosa, possesses the remarkable ability to nourish, moisturize and repair the epidermis and improve the elasticity of maturing skin. It is highly beneficial in formulations intended to treat and heal burns and sun damaged skin. Buriti Fruit Oil has strong anti-oxidant properties and protects the skin from free radical damage.
Buriti Fruit Oil Properties:
• Highly Emollient
• Exceptionally Rich in Beta-carotene
o Oleic Acid: 79.2%
o Palmitic Acid: 16.3%
o Linoleic Acid: 1.4%
o Linolenic Acid: 1.3%
o Stearic Acid: 1.3%
o Palmitoleic Acid: 0.4%
• Potent Anti-Oxidant
• Rich in Vitamin C
• Improves Skin Elasticity
• Reduces Redness
• Offers Sun Protection from UV Rays
• Protects Skin from Free Radicals
• Color: Red-Orange
Buriti Fruit Oil is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Burns
• Sun Exposed or Damaged Skin
• Lip Care
Oil: Calendula
Calendula oil is most recognized for its ability to help heal wounds and abrasions. The oil is created by infusing calendula petals in soybean oil. Use calendula oil to make healing salves, lotions, creams, lotion bars and more. 10 parts of calendula oil is equal to 1 part blossoms. Recommended usage is 5-10% in formulations for chapped, dry or damaged skin.
Oil: Camelina, Virgin
Our Camelina Oil is cold pressed to yield a yellow colored and lightly aromatic oil. Camelina oil contains over 50% polyunsaturated fats. It is especially high in the essential fatty acids linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid, both which cannot be manufactured by the body. Camelina oil is over 10 times higher in these acids than many other vegetable oils commonly available. It is nourishing and helps to heal and treat skin conditions such as exzema and psoriasis. The essential fatty acids contained in Camelina oil help to repair cells. Camelina oil helps to improve the elasticity of skin. Include camelina oil in skin care formulations for maturing or sensitive skin. It provides a protective coating for hair follicles and is a beneficial oil to add to hair care formulations. Its high content of natural tocopherols gives it a very stable shelf life against oxidation.
Oil: Camellia Seed
Camellia Oil is highly penetrating and is a nutritive addition to face creams, anti-wrinkle serums, anti-aging formulations, lip care products, hair products, make-up, sun care preparations, baby products, shaving products and other cosmeceutical formulations.
Camellia Oil is virtually odorless and possesses only a slight herbal aroma. It is virtually clear with a slight yellow hue. Camellia Oil is light in texture and absorbs quickly. It has a shelf life of at least 18 months when stored in a cool dry place, away from direct sunlight. The recommended usage is 2-10% in most formulations.
Green, black, white and oolong tea leaves are harvested from Camellia oleifera and sometimes Camellia sinensis. These species are also popularly known as the Tea Plant. Like the teas made from these species, Camellia Oil exhibits exceptional antioxidant activity. Although Camellia Oil is often referred to as Tea Oil or Tea Seed Oil, it should not be confused with the volatile essential oil of Tea Tree.
The fruit of the camellia consists of several small chambers, each playing host to a number of seeds within it. Camellia seeds contain between 40-50% of nutritive oil that is low in saturated fat.
Approximately 85% of the fatty acid composition contained in Camellia Oil is in the form of monounsaturated oleic acid. Camellia Oil is also a rich source of other omega 3,6 and 9 fatty acids plus Vitamin E and polyphenols.
Although the seeds and leaves contain caffeine, caffeine is a water soluble compound that is not present in Camellia Oil.
Historically, Camellia Oil has been the main culinary oil used throughout the southern provinces of China. Camellia Oil has been shown to reduce bad cholesterol. It is a high quality cooking oil that remains stable at high temperatures. It possesses a high smoke point of 485°F (251°C).
Camellia Oil offers similar nutritive and culinary properties to Olive Oil. The culinary use of Camellia Oil throughout the US, Europe and Canada has been on the rise over the past few years. In addition to being a noteworthy cooking oil, cold pressed Camellia Oil is a nutritive cosmeceutical oil that is said to be the ancient beauty secret of the geishas.
Camellia Oil Properties:
• Penetrates Quickly
• Highly Moisturizing
• Light Herbal Aroma
• Virtually Colorless (Slight Yellow Hue)
• Rich in Fatty and Essential Fatty Acids including up to 85% Oleic Acid
• Rich in Tocopherols (Vitamin E)
• Rich in Polyphenols
• Natural Anti-Oxidant
• Restores Moisture Balance to Dry Skin
• Improves Complexion
• Enhances Radiance
• Softens Wrinkles and Tiny Age Lines
• Non-Comedogenic
(Does Not Contribute to Acne and is Suitable for Oily/Acne Prone Skin)
• Conditions the Skin After Shaving
• Protects Skin from Elements
• Blocks Harmful UV Rays
• Reduces and Heals Scars
• Cools the Skin
• Maintains a Healthy pH
• Suitable for All Skin Types Including Allergy Prone Skin
• Promotes Hair Growth
• Conditions Scalp
Camellia Oil is a Highly Recommended Ingredient in Personal Care Products Intended for the Following:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Sun Damage
• Scar Repair
• Brittle and Damaged Hair
• Lip Care
Camellia Oil is Perfectly Suited for the Following Cosmeceutical Applications:
• Moisturizers
• Cleansers and Soaps
• Cosmetics
• Sun Protection
• Hair and Scalp Care
• Lip Care
• Nail Care
• Massage
• Aromatherapy

Oil: Carrot
Carrot oil is rich in beta carotene, vitamins A and E and provitamin A. Carrot oil helps to heal dry, chapped and cracked skin, balances the moisture in skin, and it conditions hair well. It is commonly used at 5 -10% within hair conditioning formulations and at at 2-5% for general moisturizing applications. Carrot oil is a good addition to facial creams and lotions. This carrot oil is created by infusing carrot root in soybean oil and is standardized to contain 3300 IU Provitamin A per gram.
Oil: Castor, Pale Pressed
Castor oil is rich in fatty acids and is soothing and lubricating. It is a humectant that attracts moisture to the skin. It is routinely used in hair oils, balms, and other thick emulsions for the skin and hair. In combination with other oils and as a superfatting agent, castor oil lends emolliency to soap formulations. It, however, should be used at a low percentage to keep the soap from becoming too soft.
Oil: Chardonnay Grape Seed, CP
Cold pressed Chardonnay Grapeseed Oil is a treat for the skin. This highly prized oil is bursting with antioxidants and phytonutrients for the skin. It is one of the only true cold pressed grapeseed oils available and is well worth the price. Use it at 1-3% in face serums, creams and eye creams. Use it in massage blends or even in sugar scrubs. We believe it is soon to be one of the most luxurious oils used in spa treatments around the world.
Oil: Cherry Kernel (Sweet)
Sweet Cherry Kernel Oil is a stable, emollient oil, rich in oleic acid, vitamin A and natural tocopherols. Its properties resemble Sweet Almond Oil and Peach Kernel Oil, and it can be used within the same applications. Sweet Cherry Kernel Oil makes a light, moisturizing addition to lip balms, body butters, salt and sugar scrub formulations. It is also beneficial in bath oils, and it works well as a penetrating carrier oil in aromatherapy.
Oil: Chilean Hazelnut (Gevuina)
The Gevuina avellana tree is a beautiful evergreen tree that is native to regions of Chile and Argentina. The tree can reach up to 20 meters tall and bears small nuts, similar to those of the macadamia tree. Gevuina nuts consist of approximately 12% protein and 50% oil, and are also rich in vitamins, minerals, lipids, sterols and antioxidants.
Gevuina Oil possesses a significantly higher content of monounsaturated fats (80%) than most lipids including Borage, Sunflower, Safflower, Sesame, Peach Kernel, Borage, Pumpkin and Olive Oil. Gevuina Oil penetrates the skin effectively, leaves the skin feeling supple and refreshed, and is a nutritive addition to face creams, anti-wrinkle serums, anti-aging formulations, lip care products, hair products, make-up, sun care preparations, baby products, shaving products and other cosmeceutical formulations. Gevuina Oil is virtually odorless and pale in color. It is light in texture and absorbs quickly. It has a shelf life of at least 18 months when stored in a cool dry place, away from direct sunlight.
Properties:
• Penetrates Quickly
• Highly Moisturizing
• Exceptional Emollient
• Penetrates Quickly
• Non-Greasy
• Light Aroma
• Improves Complexion
• Enhances Radiance
• Softens Wrinkles and Tiny Age Lines
• Virtually Colorless (Slight Yellow Hue)
• Contains Up to 80% Monounsaturated Fats
• Rich in Fatty and Essential Fatty Acids:
o Palmitoleic Acid: 20-27%
o Oleic Acid: 40-55%
o Linoleic Acid: 6-15%
o Alpha-Linolenic Acid: up to 2%
• Rich in Tocotrienol (Vitamin E)
• Rich in Polyphenols
• Possesses a High UVB Light Index Ranging Between 280nm - 320nm.
• Protects Skin from Elements
• Blocks Harmful UV Rays
Gevuina Oil is a Preferred Ingredient in Personal Care Products Intended for the Following:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Damaged, Stressed Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Sun Damage
• General Skin Care
• Lip Care
Oil: Coconut (76 degree)
Our 76 degree coconut oil is refined, bleached and deodorized. To make this oil, coconuts are cut and dried until the moisture content of the meat is minimized. The dried copra is then grated and expeller pressed to remove the oil. Finally, the oil is refined to produce an oil suitable for consumption. Coconut oil is useful in formulations for dry, itchy, sensitive skin. It will not clog pores, and it absorbs readily into the skin. Coconut oil is a gift to the soap making industry because of its resistance to rancidity and contribution towards making a hard bar of soap with a wonderfully fluffy lather. Coconut oil is light and non-greasy. It can be incorporated well into balms and stick formulations. Herbal hair infusions are often infused in coconut oil.
Oil: Coffee, Green
Coffee plants are native to the tropical regions of South America, Asia and Africa. The plant is a small shrub that typically reaches 3-4 meters in height. The seeds of the coffee plant are commonly referred to as beans. Roasting coffee beans changes the chemical and aromatic composition of the beans.
Green coffee oil, Coffea arabica, is rich in phytosterols that promote excellent moisture retention, quick penetration and good adherence within cosmetic applications. It is also exceptionally high in its composition of essential fatty acids.
Properties:
• Highly Moisturizing
• Light to Medium Texture
• Quick Absorption
• Herbaceous Aroma
o Palmitic Acid:40.0%
o Linoleic Acid: 38.0%
o Estearic Acid: 8.0%
o Oleic Acid: 8.0%
o Linolenic Acid: 2.0%
o Behenic Acid: 1.0%
• Rich in Sterols
o Beta-Sitosterol: 43.8%
o Stigmasterol: 22.6%
o Campesterol: 14.4%
o Delta 7 Stigmasterol: 4.5%
o Delta 5 Avenasterol: 3.7%
Green coffee oil is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Lip Care

Oil: Coffee, Roasted
Coffee plants are native to the tropical regions of South America, Asia and Africa. The plant is a small shrub that typically reaches 3-4 meters in height. The seeds of the coffee plant are commonly referred to as beans. Roasting coffee beans changes the chemical and aromatic composition of the beans.
Roasted coffee oil, Coffea arabica, is rich in phytosterols that promote excellent moisture retention, quick penetration and good adherence within cosmetic applications. It is also exceptionally high in its composition of essential fatty acids.
Properties:
• Highly Moisturizing
• Light to Medium Texture
• Quick Absorption
• Herbaceous Aroma
o Palmitic Acid:40.0%
o Linoleic Acid: 38.0%
o Estearic Acid: 8.0%
o Oleic Acid: 8.0%
o Linolenic Acid: 2.0%
o Behenic Acid: 1.0%
• Rich in Sterols
o Beta-Sitosterol: 43.8%
o Stigmasterol: 22.6%
o Campesterol: 14.4%
o Delta 7 Stigmasterol: 4.5%
o Delta 5 Avenasterol: 3.7%
Roasted coffee oil is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
• Lip Care
Oil: Copaiba Balsam
The copaiba is a tall tree that is native to regions of South America, most notably the Amazonian Basin of Brazil. This 100% natural balsam is drawn from the trunks of the copaiba tree in a manner that does not harm the trees. It is then gently refined.
Copaiba Balsam is typically yellow-brown in color, and it possesses a soft, pleasant, earthy aroma. Natives have used the balsam for generations to treat wounds, prevent tetanus and infection, and to heal psoriasis and other skin conditions.
Copaiba Balsam Properties:
• Noteworthy Constituents:
o Ar-Curcumene
o Beta-Bisabolene
o Caryophyllene
o Caryophyllene-Oxide
o Copaene
o Delta-Cadinene
o Hardwickic-Acid
• Strong Antiseptic, Antibacterial, Fungicidal and Germicidal Actions
• Topical Analgesic
• Anti-Inflammatory
• Natural Fixative for Fragrance/Perfumery Applications
Copaiba Balsam is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis and Other Skin Conditions
• Cuts and Wound Care
• Dandruff and Other Scalp Conditions
• Restores Shine to Hair
• Fixative for Fragrance/Perfumery Applications
Oil: Cranberry Seed
Cranberry Seed Oil easily penetrates the skin and is highly moisturizing. It is rich in tocotrienols and tocopherols (Vitamin E) and other antioxidants. Testing indicates that Cranberry Seed Oil possesses the highest quantity of tocotrienols of any vegetable oil. It possesses a unique balance of Omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids not found in other oils. Cranberry Seed Oil can aid in the relief of itchy, scaly, irritated skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Cranberry Seed Oil also contains a significant amount of Vitamin A, making it a good choice for inclusion within blends for acne or blemished skin. It is rapidly gaining recognition as a choice ingredient for inclusion in hair care formulations intended to heal, strengthen and moisturize the hair and scalp. Its strong antioxidant properties and stable shelf life can help to extend the life of more fragile ingredients included within the same formulation.
Cranberry Seed Oil is a nourishing and valuable addition to moisturizing lip balm, belly balm, cream, lotion, facial cream and hair care formulations.
Cranberry Seed Oil Properties:
• Strong Antioxidant
• Significantly High in Vitamin E, especially tocotrienols and tocopherols
• High in phytosterols, phospholipids
• Rich in Vitamin A
• Unique balance of Omega 3, 6 and 9 Essential Fatty Acids
• Very Stable Shelf Life
• Can Help Stabilize Other More Fragile Oils in Formulations
Oil: Cucumber Seed
Cucumber Seed Oil contains a high amount of Linoleic, or Omega 6, Fatty Acid. The oil also contains notable amounts of Oleic and Palmitic Fatty Acids. Cold Pressed Cucumber Seed Oil allows formulators to enhance shelf stable products with some of the more surprising benefits of the cucumber plant. This light, highly moisturizing oil can be used in a wide range of applications including soap making, masks, facials, body and massage oils, creams, lotions, and serums.
Oil: Emu, Ultra Clear, AEA Certified Fully Refined
Ultra Clear AEA certified emu oil possesses all of the benefits of regular emu oil but penetrates the skin faster, stays clear at low temperatures and has been proven to increase anti-inflammatory action of emu oil by 45%. The solid portion (stearin fraction) of the oil has been removed through filtration of the chilled oil. This results in an oil with less of the palmitic and stearic acids and more of the oleic and linoleic acids. The oil penetrates quickly and is great for use in creams, lotions, soaps, massage oils and other formulations where the benefits of emu oil are desired.
Oil: Evening Primrose (9.5% GLA)
Evening primrose oil is an exceptionally nourishing oil for the skin because it is high in in the essential fatty acid known as gamma-linolenic acid. The human body does not produce essential fatty acids such as linoleic and linolenic acids. It, therefore, is important to obtain these nutrients through diet and topical application. Essential fatty acids inhibit bacterial growth and allow our systems to defend against infection and inflammation. Evening Primrose oil is recommended for dry skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis. It is a nourishing addition to facial blend, cream, lotion and balm formulations.
Oil: Flax Seed
Flax seed oil is a nourishing addition to formulations intended to help treat eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, acne and aging skin. Flax seeds are a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) an the Omega-3 series of essential fatty acids. The human body cannot produce essential fatty acids and instead must obtain them from external sources. ALA is needed because it is the precursor to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and the series 3 Prostaglandins. These are necessary for the regulation of cellular activity. Series 3 Prostaglandins protect the body against the effects of high blood pressure, inflammation and water retention by inhibiting the production of series 2 prostaglandins, which promote inflammation and water retention. Topical use of flax seed oil allows the body to absorb some of the essential fatty acids necessary for healthy cellular activity. Flax seed oil can help soften and heal skin abrasions, reduce the swelling and redness of lesions due to skin disease and improve the overall health of the skin. Use flax seed oil in creams, lotions and balm formulations. Flax seed oil is fragile. Any formulation using flax seed oil must be well preserved with an anti-oxidant.

Oil: Fractionated Coconut
Fractionated coconut oil contains only the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) of coconut oil, making it a fluid and very stable oil. It is produced through the hydrolysis of coconut oil and is then fractionated by steam distillation to isolate the MCTs. Fractionated coconut oil has indefinite shelf life and is a light, non-greasy, non-staining, liquid oil. It is a good choice for use in massage, skin care and soap formulations. Fractionated coconut oil is also a useful carrier oil within aromatherapy applications as it helps to carry therapeutic oils under the skin. It can be included in creams, lotions, bath oils, bath salts and soap. Fractionated coconut oil is especially useful in facial creams and formulations that benefit from the inclusion of a lighter oil. It is a good substitute for sweet almond oil if you are worried about rancidity or a short shelf life.
Oil: Grape Seed
Grape Seed oil is rich in vitamins, minerals, linoleic acid and other essential fatty acids. It is a light, slightly astringent, penetrating oil for massage and aromatherapy applications. Grape Seed oil is a nourishing addition to lotion, cream, lip balm, eye cream and special formulations intended for dry, damaged or aging skin.
Oil: Hazelnut
Hazelnut Oil is a light, penetrating oil that is slightly astringent. It is a suitable addition to formulations intended to be used on acne prone skin. Hazelnut Oil is high in essential fatty acids and is soothing and healing to dry, irritated skin. It is commonly used in sun care products, and studies have shown that it can filter sun rays. Hazelnut Oil is a nourishing addition to massage, hair care, cream, lotion and soap formulations.
Oil: Hemp Seed
Our imported Hemp Sed Oil is pressed from the finest seeds available. Hemp Seed Oil has the lowest amount of saturated fatty acids and the highest amount of the polyunsaturated essential fatty acids (linoleic and linolenic acids) making it a key nutritive ingredient in anti-inflammatory skin care formulations. Hemp Seed Oil is said to aid in the healing of skin lesions, dry skin, inflammations of the skin and joints. Use Hemp Seed Oil in your soaps, lotions, lip balms and special formulations for dry, damaged or aging skin. Combine Hemp Seed Oil with herbal infusions and butters to create healing balms and salves.
Oil: Jojoba, Clear
Clear Jojoba is a viscous, yet highly penetrative emollient that closely resembles the natural sebum within the skin. Clear Jojoba provides excellent non-occlusive, non-greasy moisture control. Studies confirm the effective use of Jojoba as a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient in skin care. Furthermore, the high content of natural tocopherols and the absence of polyunsaturated components give Jojoba a remarkably high oxidative stability index. Jojoba is said to help extend the shelf life of other oils. Use our Clear Jojoba in applications in which you require all of the beneficial properties of jojoba without the typical color and odor limitations of traditional jojoba. The long, straight chain liquid wax esters are expeller pressed from the seeds and then gently refined and decolorized to produce a virtually clear and odorless liquid wax that possesses all of the nutritive and stable properties of traditional jojoba.
Oil: Jojoba, Natural
Although Jojoba is traditionally categorized with vegetable oils, Jojoba is actually a liquid wax. Jojoba is fluid with moderate viscosity like most vegetable oils. It offers the traits of both an oil and a wax to make it an ideal ingredient for use within soap, cream, lotion, balm and massage oil formulations. It is highly penetrating and closely resembles the natural sebum within our skin. Use Jojoba in facial blends to remove excess oils and to help balance the skin's natural oil. Jojoba contains a natural anti-inflammatory called myristic acid and is useful in formulations for arthritis and rheumatism. Jojoba is very stable and has natural anti-oxidant properties. It is said to help extend the shelf life of other oils. In cold process soap making, Jojoba is very good to use as a superfatting agent since it resists rancidity. Jojoba is a wonderful carrier for aromatherapy applications and is suitable for use as a perfume base. It also makes an excellent hair conditioner. Our Natural Jojoba is pressed only once from the seeds. Minimum pressure is used to obtain a finer quality oil. It is then pasteurized and filtered. The resulting liquid wax possesses a natural golden color and the characteristic aroma of natural Jojoba.
Oil: Karanja
Karanja Oil, Pongamia glabra, is pressed from the seeds of the Pongam Tree. This cousin of Neem offers an array of similar therapeutic benefits to that of its pungent relative. Karanja Oil is prized for its insecticidal and antiseptic properties and is often used in pet care for the treatment of fleas, mange, and scabies. Its insecticidal properties also make Karanja Oil great for agricultural use, serving as a natural pest repellent. In skin care, Karanja Oil can be used to treat eczema, psoriasis, skin ulcers, dandruff, or to promote wound healing. While its therapeutic properties are similar to Neem Oil, its aroma is quite different. Karanja Oil has a milder, more versatile aroma than Neem Oil that is often described as nutty. Karanja Oil can be incorporated into body oils, salves, lotions, soaps, hair oils, shampoos, or garden sprays.
Oil: Kiwi Seed
Cold pressed Kiwi Seed oil contains over 60% alpha linolenic acid which helps our skin and hair retain moisture. It is also rich in phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins C & E. The Omega 3 content of Kiwi seed oil makes it a useful ingredient in the treatment of dry skin problems and therefore it should be considered for any formulation for healing dry, damaged skin. Use it for lip balms, face serums, hair conditioners, eye creams and more. Use Kiwi seed oil at 1-5% in most formulations.
Oil: Kukui Nut
Kukui nut oil is high in the essential fatty acids linoleic and linolenic acids. These acids are vital for the metabolism of healthy skin. Vitamins A, C and E are added to stabilize the oil. Kukui nut oil is easily absorbed by the skin. It soothes irritated, sunburned, or burned skin. Surveys have shown that kukui nut oil can help relieve itchy and dry skin due to eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. You can use up to 10% kukui nut oil for a nourishing bar of soap or use it at 5-10% in your cream, lotion, balm and scrub formulations.
Oil: Macadamia Nut
Macadamia nut oil is a very stable oil because of its mono-unsaturated nature. The high content of palmitoleic acid also makes macadamia nut oil an effective anti-oxidant. It is suitable for all skin types but is particularly good for dry or mature skin because of its high percentage of palmitoleic acid. The palmitoleic acid protects the skin just like human sebum does. It penetrates and hydrates the skin quickly making it an ideal ingredient in lotions, creams, balms, massage oils and bath oils.
Oil: Manketti
Manketti trees grow throughout South Africa. The nuts and the oil of the manketti tree have been used traditionally for their nutritive value. The oil, also called Mongongo oil, is highly emollient and protects the skin from harsh winds and sun. The Kwangali use this oil as a rich, nutrient hair treatment oil. Use Manketti oil in cream, lotion, suncare product, lip balm, hair conditioning and body butter formulations at 5-10%.

Oil: Maracuja (Passion Flower), Refined
The passion flower is native to the Amazon and other tropical regions of North and South America. Many botanical species of passion flower exist. Passion flower from the species Passiflora incanata is a long, woody vine that produces beautiful, exquisite flowers and a delicious, nourishing fruit. Each vine reaches an average length of about 50 meters.
The passion flower has been used medicinally for hundreds of years, and its benefits are scientifically documented. It is most widely known for its sedative, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-spasmodic properties.
Passion Flower Oil, Passiflora incanata, also known as Passionfruit Oil or Maracuja Oil, is a superior emollient rich in vitamin C, calcium and phosphorus. The high content of essential fatty acids and light texture of Maracuja Oil (Passion Flower Oil) makes it a valuable contribution to a wide array of personal care products intended to nourish the skin and treat dry skin conditions. Maracuja Oil is highly recommended in scalp and hair care products to encourage healthy hair growth and increased vitality. Maracuja Oil is calming and sedating, and is suitable for inclusion in bath care products and products intended to promote relaxation. Its anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and sedative properties make it the oil of choice for use in massage applications and formulations intended to ease muscular aches and swelling.
Maracuja Oil (Passion Flower Oil) Properties:
o Linoleic Acid: 77.0%
o Oleic Acid: 12.0%
o Palmitic Acid: 8.0%
o Stearic Acid: 2.0%
o Linolenic Acid: 1.0%
• Reported Properties
o Sedative / Nervine
o Antidepressant
o Analgesic
o Anti-inflammatory
o Anti-spasmodic / Anti-convulsant
o Disinfectant
o Vermifuge
• Light in Texture
• Non-greasy
• Easily Absorbed
Maracuja Oil (Passion Flower Oil) is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin and Other Skin Conditions
• General Skin Care
• Lip Care
• Massage
• Relaxation
• Insomnia
Oil: Marula
Marula Oil is one of Africa's most nutritive skin care oils. It is rich in anti-oxidants and oleic acid. Marula Oil is an extremely stable cosmetic oil. Its high content of palmitic acid creates a protective coating on the surface of the skin. It, therefore, is a good choice for inclusion in formulations for dry skin. Marula Oil absorbs quickly, hydrates the skin, heals skin tissue, reduces redness, reduces trans-epidermal water loss, increases the smoothness of skin and conditions the hair. It is also a stable superfatting oil for soap.
Oil: Meadowfoam Seed
Meadowfoam is an herbaceous winter annual plant native to the pacific Northwest region of the United States. Meadowfoam oil was developed to replace sperm whale oil in the 1970s. Despite its high molecular weight, meadowfoam oil remains liquid at room temperature. The oil from the Meadowfoam plant is recognized for its outstanding oxidative stability. It is unique in that it contains over 98% fatty acids that have over 20 carbon atoms. The typical major fatty acid composition of meadowfoam oil: C20:1 - 63%, C22:1 - 16%, and C22:2 - 17%.
Meadowfoam Seed Oil is said to moisturize the skin and hair better than most oils, and it helps prevent moisture loss. In shampoos and hair care products, it helps add shine and moisture to the hair and scalp. In lipsticks and lip balms, it helps revitalize dry, cracked lips and keeps them moist longer. It provides good slip in massage oils and creams and is valued as a lubricant oil. In lipsticks and other makeup, it provides adhesion so they stay on longer. It has a high tolerance for heat and is suitable for a wide range of applications.
Meadowfoam Seed Oil is one of the most stable lipids known, and Meadowfoam Seed Oil lends stability to other oils that are combined with it. It, therefore, is useful in applications where you are using less stable oils such as sweet almond, kukui nut, evening primrose, borage, and hemp. Use Meadowfoam Seed Oil in lotion bars and lip balms to extend the shelf life. Meadowfoam oil makes a very moisturizing bar of soap when it is used as a superfatting agent. It is often used as a binder, and it may help extend fragrances better than other oils when used in bath salts, soaps and massage oils.
Oil: Monoi de Tahiti, Unscented
Monoi de Tahiti is a precious and exotic cosmetic oil, manufactured in Polynesia, according to a French Government Decree, which explicitly describes the process by which this oil must be made. The oil is created by soaking/macerating 10 Tiare flowers, which must come from French Polynesia, per litre of refined coconut oil for a minimum of 10 days. Our authentic Monoi de Tahiti carries an "Appellation of Origin" guarantee and is produced under very controlled manufacturing methods to ensure the highest quality oil.
Monoi de Tahiti is an extraordinary oil for skin and hair care. It has been shown to penetrate and hydrate the skin rapidly and reduce trans-epidermal water loss. Use Monoi oil in creams, lotion, soap and experiment with it in all of your formulations.
Important Note: This Monoi de Tahiti oil is unscented. It possesses the aroma of coconut oil with a faint floral note.
Oil: Moringa
The Moringa tree is referred to as the "miracle tree" because of its wide array of uses. All parts of the tree are used for their pharmacological and nutritional properties. The healing properties of moringa oil, also known as behen oil, were documented by ancient cultures. Moringa oil posesses exceptional oxidative stability which may explain why the Egyptians placed vases of moringa oil in their tombs. It is high in oleic acid and similar in composition to olive oil. Moringa oil is light and spreads easily on the skin. It is a good oil for use in massage and aromatherapy applications. Use moringa oil in creams, lotions, balms, scrubs, body oils, and hair care formulations at 3-100%.
Oil: Neem
Our Neem Oil is wildcrafted, unrefined, and certified lead free. Neem Oil is used widely in India and Africa as an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and anti-parasitic agent in personal care products including moisturizers, lip care products, soaps, toothpastes and hair care products. Neem Oil is used to treat skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, scabies, syphilitic sores, and chicken pox. Neem Oil can eliminate lice, repel bugs and control dandruff. In toothpaste, Neem Oil helps relieve swollen and bleeding gums and kills the bacteria that causes gingivitis.
Add Neem Oil to liquid soap base for an anti-bacterial hand soap. Use it in bug repellent lotion bars to keep the bugs away. Use it in pet soaps to kill and repel fleas and to treat hot spots. Neem Oil can be emulsified with liquid soap and then sprayed on plants to keep insects from devouring the leaves.
Neem Powder can be used in a foot bath powder to kill fungus and bacteria. Mixed with clay, it makes a great facial for those with acne or other skin problems.

Oil: Olive, Grade A
Olive Oil is high in oleic acid and is a good skin cell regenerator. It is traditionally included within soap, cream, balm, body butter, herbal infusion and hair care formulations. Olive Oil attracts external moisture to the skin and still permits the skin to properly release sweat, shed dead skin and release sebum. It is a good oil for inclusion in massage oil formulations and it helps to sooth inflamed skin. Within soap making applications, soap makers often prefer Grade A Olive Oil to pomace because the high percentage of unsaponifiables in pomace can cause it to saponify too quickly or overreact with other ingredients such as fragrance and essential oils. Grade A Olive Oil will also give you a whiter bar than pomace.
Oil: Palm (96 degree)
Our 96 degree palm oil is a refined, food grade palm oil. Palm oil can be used in balm, body butters and stick formulations where rigidity is required. When used in cold process soap making, it resuts in a hard bar when used in combination with other oils such as coconut oil and olive oil. Cold processed soaps made with palm oil resist melting. Palm oil saponifies easily and pulls other oils into saponification more quickly.
Oil: Papaya
Papaya oil is rich in essential fatty acids It penetrates and moisturizes the skin effectively. Papaya oil is conditions the hair and skin and can be used in any formulation where conditioning and moisturizing properties are required.
Oil: Passion Flower (Passionfruit), Refined
The passion flower is native to the Amazon and other tropical regions of North and South America. Many botanical species of passion flower exist. Passion flower from the species Passiflora incanata is a long, woody vine that produces beautiful, exquisite flowers and a delicious, nourishing fruit. Each vine reaches an average length of about 50 meters.
The passion flower has been used medicinally for hundreds of years, and its benefits are scientifically documented. It is most widely known for its sedative, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-spasmodic properties.
Passion Flower Oil, Passiflora incanata, also known as Passionfruit Oil or Maracuja Oil, is a superior emollient rich in vitamin C, calcium and phosphorus. The high content of essential fatty acids and light texture of Maracuja Oil (Passion Flower Oil) makes it a valuable contribution to a wide array of personal care products intended to nourish the skin and treat dry skin conditions. Maracuja Oil is highly recommended in scalp and hair care products to encourage healthy hair growth and increased vitality. Maracuja Oil is calming and sedating, and is suitable for inclusion in bath care products and products intended to promote relaxation. Its anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and sedative properties make it the oil of choice for use in massage applications and formulations intended to ease muscular aches and swelling.
Passion Flower Oil (Passionfruit Oil) Properties:
o Linoleic Acid: 77.0%
o Oleic Acid: 12.0%
o Palmitic Acid: 8.0%
o Stearic Acid: 2.0%
o Linolenic Acid: 1.0%
• Reported Properties
o Sedative / Nervine
o Antidepressant
o Analgesic
o Anti-inflammatory
o Anti-spasmodic / Anti-convulsant
o Disinfectant
o Vermifuge
• Light in Texture
• Non-greasy
• Easily Absorbed
Passion Flower Oil (Passionfruit Oil) is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin and Other Skin Conditions
• General Skin Care
• Lip Care
• Massage
• Relaxation
• Insomnia
Our Passion Flower Oil is also commonly referred to as Passionfruit Oil and Maracuja Oil.
We have created this duplicate product listing to make it easier for customers to locate this highly nutritive oil.
Oil: Peach Kernel
Our Peach Kernel Oil is similar to Apricot Kernel Oil. It is a light, penetrating oil that is good for mature or sensitive skin. Use Peach Kernel Oil to make light creams and lotions, massage oils and more. Peach Kernel Oil is a great oil for lip balms because it absorbs easily and does not leave a greasy feeling. It can also be used as a substitute for sweet almond or grapeseed oils.
Oil: Pecan
Pecan Oil is a light yet rich, nutrient-rich oil. It is a good choice for inclusion in formuations for maturing or dry skin. Pecan Oil is high in oleic acid and is effective in formulations requiring moistrization. Pecan Oil is also well suited for use within massage and aromatherapy applications.
Oil: Pequi
The pequi is a tree native to Brazil. The pequi produces a fruit that is both prized for its role in the Brasilian diet as well as for the nutritive oil that can be produced from the fruit's seeds.
Pequi oil, Caryocar braziliensis, possesses a unique combination of essential fatty acids and is highly emollient, making it an effective moisturizer for products intended to heal dry and cracked skin, eczema and psoriasis. It can also be used in the production of specialty soaps intended to aid skin conditions. When used in hair care formulations, pequi oil helps smooth the hair cuticle to increase smoothness and shine and decrease frizziness.
Properties:
o Palmitic Acid
o Oleic Acid
o Linolenic Acid
o Stearic Acid
o Rich in Vitamin A
Pequi Oil is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Dry, Cracked Skin
Oil: Perilla Seed
Perilla seed oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids. The Omega 3 fatty acids have been known to exhibit antiseptic activity and may be effective against the bacteria responsible for acne. It is also believed to suppress chronic inflammation and itchiness. Use perilla seed oil in facial blends, massage oils, lotions, creams and salt scrubs.
Oil: Pomace Olive
In cold process soap making, some soapers prefer using pomace oil instead of Grade A olive oil . Pomace oil is solvent extracted from previous pressings of olives using the skins and pits (pomace). Pomace oil has a high percentage of unsaponifiables, and it tends to draw the oils into a quick saponification. Use caution when using pomace oil with fragrance oils or GSE as both speed up the saponification process.
Oil: Pomegranate Seed
Pomegranate Seed Oil is gaining increased recognition by cosmeceutical manufacturers and the spa and aromatherapy industries due to its remarkable ability to nourish, moisturize and improve skin elasticity. Pomegranate seed oil is high in lipids including pucinic acid. Pomegranate Seed Oil can be effective in treating dry skin, eczema, psoriasis and sunburned skin. It is a good choice for inclusion in formulations for maturing skin. Its high polyphenol content makes it a strong anti-oxidant and adds to its stable shelf life. Pomegranate Seed Oil contains conjugated fatty acids which gives it strong anti-inflammatory properties and makes it a highly beneficial addition to formulations intended to reduce swelling and ease musclular aches and pains. Studies have shown that Pomegranate Seed Oil is effective at killing cancer cells when applied topically.
Oil: Pumpkin Seed
Our Pumpkin Seed Oil is a dark, highly emollient oil rich in vitamins A, C, E and K and the mineral zinc. Pumpkin Seed Oil is high in unsaturated fatty acids (about 60%). Use Pumpkin Seed Oil sparingly to greatly enhance the nutritive benefit of your face creams, lotions, bath oils, massage oils and lotion bars.
Oil: Red Raspberry Seed
Red raspberry seed oil possesses an exceptionally high proportion of alpha and gamma tocopherols (Vitamin E), vitamin A and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. In a study done on the properties of red raspberry seed oil, the oil showed absorbance in the UV-B and UV-C ranges suggesting that it may be useful as a broad spectrum UV protectant in skin care formulations (Oomah et al, 2000). Red raspberry seed oil is rich in alpha linolenic acid suggesting pronounced anti-inflammatory properties, thus it may be an effective oil to use in the treatment of eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions.
Red raspberry seed oil may be used in lip balm, cream, sun protection, balms and other skin care formulations. Red raspberry seed oil can be added to any formulation to add protection against the sun. Please note, however, that you will not be able to determine the exact SPF of your product without testing and you cannot market SPF products without a license to do so. The usage of red raspberry oil on the skin is not the equivalent of using a properly formulated SPF product. Many factors are involved in how a product works as a sunscreen including absorption rate and viscosity of the formulation.

Oil: Rice Bran
Rice bran oil is high in fatty acids and rich in unsaponifiables. Rice bran oil is a natural anti-oxidant and also offers a small degree of sunscreen protection. (Please note, however, that you will not be able to determine the exact SPF of your product without testing and you cannot market SPF products without a license to do so.) Rice bran oil is moisturizing and is a good choice for inclusion in formulations intended for mature, delicate or sensitive skin. Rice bran oil is especially useful in baby, face and hair formulations.
Oil: Riesling Grape Seed, CP
This beautiful, virgin cold pressed, riesling grapeseed oil is extracted from real Riesling Grapes. Riesling grapeseed oil is high in antioxidants and phytonutrients, making it a superb oil for skin treatments and face serums. Use Riesling grapeseed oil in formulations where antioxidant properties are needed.
Oil: Rosehip, Cold Pressed
Rosehip oil is rich in essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. It has natural anti-oxidant properties and is slightly astringent. Rosehip oil has been shown to help improve skin elasticity, regenerate skin cells, slow down premature aging, reduce the formation of wrinkles, and reduce scarring. Rosehip oil is a suitable choice for inclusion within formulations intended for maturing or damaged skin where the regeneration of new skin cells is needed. Rosehip oil is commonly used at a ratio of up to 10%.
Oil: Safflower, High Linoleic
Safflower oil has a very high percentage of linoleic acid. It, therefore, helps to moisturize, nourish and restructure the skin. High linoleic safflower oil is a nice oil for use in balms, creams and lip balm. It also works well in salt and sugar scrubs as well as bath bombs and dispersing bath oils.
Oil: Seabuckthorn Berry (Fruit)
Seabuckthorn has been recognized for centuries in Eurasia for its exceptional medicinal and nutritional properties. The berries of the seabuckthorn plant are rich in vitamins and nutrients.
The fruit or berries appear to be an unsurpassed natural source of vitamins A and E, carotenes and flavonoids. Seabuckthorn berries are second only to Rose hips and Acerola in vitamin C content. They are also rich in several other vitamins, including B1, B2, K and P as well as in more than two dozen microelements.
Seabuckthorn berry oil and seabuckthorn seed oil both possess nourishing, revitalizing, and restorative properties. The berry oil is a beneficial ingredient in formulations intended for acne, dermatitis, irritated or dry skin, eczema, skin ulcers, postpartum pigmentation, burns, scalds, cuts, and tissue regeneration. The stimulation of tissue regeneration is helpful in the treatment of burns, bedsores and poorly healing wounds. Seabuckthorn berry oil helps reduce the damaging effects of sun radiation. It can effectively combat wrinkles, dryness and other symptoms of malnourished or prematurely aging skin.
The restorative action of seabuckthorn oil may be partially due to the high content of essential fatty acids, carotenes, tocopherols and phytosterols, all important for the maintenance of healthy skin. It is interesting to note that Seabuckthorn fruit or berry oil appears to promote skin repair better than the seabuckthorn seed oil possibly due to higher content of C16:2 in the fruit oil. The essential fatty acid content of seabuckthorn berry oil is 80 - 95%. The major EFAs contained in seabuckthorn oil are oleic and linoleic acids. It also contains the following essential fatty acids: pentadecenoic, palmitoleic, heptadecenoic, linolenic, eicosenoic, eicosadienoic, erucic and nervonic. Among the carotenes found in Seabuckthorn are alfa- and beta-carotenes, lycopene, cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, taraxanthin and phytofluin. Tocopherols are primarily vitamin E and gamma-tocopherol. Phytosterols of seabuckthorn oil include beta-sitosterol, beta-amirol and erithrodiol. Taken internally, it can help prevent gums from bleeding, recuperate mucous membranes, heal peptic and duodenal ulcers, aid urinary tract and cervical erosion, treat solar and cancer radiation injuries and is a nutritive source of carotenes, phytosterols, and essential fatty acids.
Oil: Sesame
Sesame oil is rich in essential fatty acids and helps to maintain integrity of skin tissue while restructuring and moisturizing the skin. It is a heavy oil and is typically blended with lighter oils. Sesame oil is a good choice for use in massage oil, bath oil and sun care oil formulations.
Oil: Soybean
Soybean Oil is commonly used in bath oil and soap making formulations. It contains approximately 60% polyunsaturated fatty acids. Soybean Oil is also a good source of vitamin E.
Oil: St. John's Wort
St. John's Wort oil is useful in creams and lotions made to protect and heal damaged, dry skin. It is helpful for abrasions and cuts. Add a little beeswax to make a salve. St. John's Wort oil is a "must have" oil for pregnant belly balms. The oil is made by infusing soybean oil with St. John's Wort blossoms.
Oil: Sunflower
Sunflower Oil is high in essential fatty acids. It helps to moisturize, regenerate and condition the skin. Sunflower Oil can be used as the primary vegetable oil within lotion, salt scrub, bath oil and massage oil formulations. It is especially useful in formulations intended for mature, sensitive, dry or damaged skin.
Oil: Sunflower, High Oleic
High Oleic Sunflower Oil is cold pressed from sunflower seeds specially cultivated to produce an oil high in monosaturates. The oil is naturally more stable and resistant to rancidity. It is naturally high in vitamins A, D & E, lecithin and Omega 9. The high oleic content of this sunflower oil makes it a good ingredient for cell regeneration and is highly recommended for mature or damaged skin. It is a good oil to combine with fragile oils such as evening primrose or hemp seed. High Oleic Sunflower Oil absorbs quickly and can be used in all formulations. Use it in cream, lotion, scrub, and all formulations where a light oil is desired.
Oil: Super Berry Trio Blend
Because everything is better in threes, we've created the perfect blend of berry seed oils. This light blend of blueberry, cranberry and red raspberry seed oils is bursting with essential fatty acids, antioxidants, tocotrienols and phytonutrients to help fight free radicals, soothe inflammed skin and protect the skin from UV damage. Use in face formulations and general skin care formulations.
Oil: Tamanu (Foraha Oil)
Tamanu oil, also known in Africa as Foraha oil, is obtain by mechanically crushing the dried nuts of the Tamanu tree. The Tamanu tree is typically found in the Pacific and Asian Tropical regions. The oil is a rich, deep color, and it smells similar to butter pecan ice cream. Tamanu oil soothes the skin, and it helps to relieve irritations including sun burn, inflammation and common rashes. Tamanu oil is hydrating, and it also helps regenerate skin cells. Research shows that Tamanu oil is a strong anti-inflammatory. It is useful for the treatment of rheumatism, eczema and inflammatory skin conditions. The oil has been used for its ability to help heal cuts and wounds while acting as a germicide to prevent infection. Tamanu oil can be used undiluted as a treatment for eczema, psoriasis, cuts and wounds or in cream and lotion formulations for general treatment of dry skin. Tamanu oil can add nutritive properties to lip balms and lotion bars when used at 5%.

Oil: Tomato Seed
Studies have documented that the seeds of tomatoes contain essential fatty acids, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, carotenes including lycopene and phytosterols and other important nutrients that play an important role in the health and radiance of the skin. Lycopene-rich lipids are essential ingredients for the treatment and prevention of cutaneous signs of aging, and for reducing UV damage to the skin.
Although it is the seeds and the skin of the tomato that are the most nutritious, both are typically removed from most tomato based products. Tomato Seed Oil is stable and is an ideal ingredient choice for incorporating the nutritive benefits of tomato seeds, particularly the high lycopene content, within personal care products.
Our superior quality Tomato Seed Oil is carefully sourced and packaged to maintain the purity, freshness and beneficial properties of this remarkably nutritive, cold pressed oil.
Tomato Seed Oil Properties:
• Stable Shelf Life (2 Years)
• Deep Orange Hue
• Light Viscosity
• Quick Absorption
• Aromatically Spicy, Woody and Smoky
• Tomato Seeds are a Rich Source of Anti-oxidants Including Tocopherols
• Rich Source of Lycopene and other Carotenes/Carotenoids
• Rich in Phytosterols
• Excellent Source of Flavonoids
• High Linoleic (Omega-6) Essential Fatty Acid Content (Approximately 50-70%)
• High Oleic (Omega-9) Fatty Acid Content: (Approximately 10-25%)
• Contains Up to 1% Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acid)
• Good Source of Essential Amino Acids Including Lysine
• Rich in Copper, Iron, Manganese and Zinc
• Reported to block UVA/UVB Rays
Uses:
Tomato Seed Oil is stable, highly penetrating oil and is a remarkably nutritive addition to facial creams, anti-wrinkle serums, anti-aging formulations, lip care products, hair products, make-up, sun care preparations, shaving products and other cosmeceutical formulations. It is suitable for dry, oily and combination skin.
• Mature, Aging Skin
• Damaged, Dry, Cracked Skin
• General Skin and Lip Care
• General Hair Care
• Possible Use in Suncare Products
Recommended Usage Rate: 1-100%
Oil: Turkey Red
Turkey Red oil, also known as sulfated castor oil, is miscible in water and emulsifies other oils in water. It is an excellent base to utilize for bath oil formulations.
PLEASE NOTE: Turkey red oil separates at cold temperatures. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we cannot ship turkey red oil during the winter months.
Oil: Vegetable Squalene
Squalene is an unsaturated hydrocarbon typically found in human sebum and deep sea shark liver oil. It has a natural affinity for the skin and acts as a natural emollient and skin soothing agent.
Squalene is a precursor to the production of important lipids and is a key component in the maintenance of youthful skin.
Olive oil is the richest vegetable-based source of squalene. Our Vegetable Squalene is derived from the oil of freshly pressed olives and is >94% pure. This level of purity is exceptional for vegetable squalene.
Vegetable Squalene is said to help hydrate and protect the skin, fight wrinkle formation, encourage regeneration of healthy skin cells, and prevent premature aging of the skin.
It is also believed to be an essential ingredient in formulations for eczema and psoriasis where relief from dry, itchy and damaged skin is needed.
Vegetable Squalene Properties:
• Vegetable Origin
• Odorless
• Colorless
• Easily Incorporated Into Cosmetic Emulsions
• Excellent Spreadability
• Light Consistency
• Stable
• Non-greasy Texture
• Rapid Transdermal Absorption
• Restores Suppleness
• Creates a Moisture Barrier
• Heals Chapped, Cracked Skin
• Possesses Anti-bacterial Properties
• Encourages Cell Regeneration
Vegetable Squalene is a Highly Recommended Ingredient in Personal Care Products Intended for the Following:
• Anti-Aging and Wrinkle Reduction
• Psoriasis
• Eczema
• Damaged Hair
• Dry Scalp
• Brittle Nails
Oil: Veggie Trio Blend
Because everything is better in threes, we are offering our new trio blend of carrot root, broccoli and pumpkin seed oil. This blend offers an amazing range of vitamins A, C, E, K, Provitamin A and Beta Carotene as well as skin-nourishing essential fatty acids to enrich your skin formulations. Use this blend in formulations for the skin and hair including products for damage repair.
Oil: Vitamin E, Natural (1000IU/g)
Vitamin E is an essential fat-soluble vitamin composed of eight naturally occurring compounds. The fractions are called alpha, beta, delta, epsilon, eta, gamma and zeta tocopherol, and four other substances called tocotrienols. While each of these compounds exhibits different biological activities, d-alpha tocopherol has the highest biological activity and is the most widely available form of vitamin E in food.
Since the alpha tocopherol activity is most responsible for the effectiveness of the product, the potency of Vitamin E oil is measured by its alpha tocopherol content. It is important to known the IU of the vitamin E oil you are using. A 200 IU/g Vitamin E contains 200 units of alpha tocopherol per gram of oil and the rest of it is unspecified amounts of the beta, delta, epsilon and other components. 1 international unit (IU) of vitamin E is equal to 1 mg of the synthetic form racemic alpha tocopherol acetate.
While the alpha tocopherol can be isolated from the other components, studies have shown that it is more stable and has a longer shelf life when it is in its original family structure with its non-alpha tocopherols unless it is transformed into tocopheryl. Furthermore, the full activity of the other fractions is still unknown, and some manufacturers of vitamin E prefer to preserve the natural form.
The most important and well known biological function of vitamin E is related to its anti-oxidant properties. Internally, Vitamin E is the most effective anti-oxidant in the biological membrane. It protects cellular structures against damage from free radicals and the byproducts of fat peroxidation. It acts as a free radical scavenger to prevent the byproducts of chemical-cell interaction that causes cell damage. Vitamin E may help to decrease the toxicity of certain chemotherapy drugs.
When used topically, Vitamin E may decrease some of the harmful effects of solar radiation on the skin. It is commonly used in lotions or creams for burn treatment. It is also helpful to treat burns secondary to radiation therapy.
Vitamin E oil is often prescribed for topical use in pregnant women to prevent stretch marks on the abdomen. More recently, it has been used to prevent or treat mucositis resulting from chemotherapy. It can help heal acne, promote wound healing and prevent scarring from eczema or psoriasis. Topical vitamin E moisturizes the skin from within, reduces UV induced damage, helps to protect against ozone damage and decreases erythema (redness of the skin) after sun exposure. This makes it appropriate for use in sun care products including lip balms.
Since the alpha tocopherol is responsible for repairing, healing and protecting skin, use the high alpha tocopherol Natural Vitamin E Oil (250, 1000, or 1400 IU) in your skin care formulations for skin softening/healing purposes.

Oil: Vitamin E, Natural (1000IU/g)
Vitamin E is an essential fat-soluble vitamin composed of eight naturally occurring compounds. The fractions are called alpha, beta, delta, epsilon, eta, gamma and zeta tocopherol, and four other substances called tocotrienols. While each of these compounds exhibits different biological activities, d-alpha tocopherol has the highest biological activity and is the most widely available form of vitamin E in food.
Since the alpha tocopherol activity is most responsible for the effectiveness of the product, the potency of Vitamin E oil is measured by its alpha tocopherol content. It is important to known the IU of the vitamin E oil you are using. A 200 IU/g Vitamin E contains 200 units of alpha tocopherol per gram of oil and the rest of it is unspecified amounts of the beta, delta, epsilon and other components. 1 international unit (IU) of vitamin E is equal to 1 mg of the synthetic form racemic alpha tocopherol acetate.
While the alpha tocopherol can be isolated from the other components, studies have shown that it is more stable and has a longer shelf life when it is in its original family structure with its non-alpha tocopherols unless it is transformed into tocopheryl. Furthermore, the full activity of the other fractions is still unknown, and some manufacturers of vitamin E prefer to preserve the natural form.
The most important and well known biological function of vitamin E is related to its anti-oxidant properties. Internally, Vitamin E is the most effective anti-oxidant in the biological membrane. It protects cellular structures against damage from free radicals and the byproducts of fat peroxidation. It acts as a free radical scavenger to prevent the byproducts of chemical-cell interaction that causes cell damage. Vitamin E may help to decrease the toxicity of certain chemotherapy drugs.
When used topically, Vitamin E may decrease some of the harmful effects of solar radiation on the skin. It is commonly used in lotions or creams for burn treatment. It is also helpful to treat burns secondary to radiation therapy.
Vitamin E oil is often prescribed for topical use in pregnant women to prevent stretch marks on the abdomen. More recently, it has been used to prevent or treat mucositis resulting from chemotherapy. It can help heal acne, promote wound healing and prevent scarring from eczema or psoriasis. Topical vitamin E moisturizes the skin from within, reduces UV induced damage, helps to protect against ozone damage and decreases erythema (redness of the skin) after sun exposure. This makes it appropriate for use in sun care products including lip balms.
Since the alpha tocopherol is responsible for repairing, healing and protecting skin, use the high alpha tocopherol Natural Vitamin E Oil (250, 1000, or 1400 IU) in your skin care formulations for skin softening/healing purposes.
Oil: Vitamin E, Natural (1400IU/g)
Oil: Vitamin E, Natural (250IU/g)

Oil: Vitamin E, Natural (400 IU/g)
Since the alpha tocopherol activity is most responsible for the effectiveness of the product, the potency of Vitamin E oil is measured by its alpha tocopherol content. It is important to known the IU of the vitamin E oil you are using. A 400 IU/g Vitamin E contains 400 units of alpha tocopherol per gram of oil and the rest of it is unspecified amounts of the beta, delta, epsilon and other components. 1 international unit (IU) of vitamin E is equal to 1 mg of the synthetic form racemic alpha tocopherol acetate.
Since the alpha tocopherol is responsible for repairing, healing and protecting skin, use this high alpha tocopherol Natural Vitamin E Oil in your skin care formulations for skin softening/healing purposes.
Oil: Walnut
Walnut Oil is high in linoleic acid and helps to regenerate, tone and moisturize damaged or dry skin. Walnut Oil is reported to help prevent wrinkles. It is a good choice to use in formulations intended to treat eczema or control dandruff and rough, dry or sunburned skin. Walnut Oil is best used at 10-15% in anti-aging and skin toning products. It is an especially useful in lip balms, anti-wrinkle eye creams, products for maturing skin and body and within bath and massage oils.
Oil: Watermelon Seed
Watermelon seed oil is also known as ootanga oil and kalahari oil. In Africa, Watermelon seeds have been prized for the highly nutritive oil that they contain. Traditionally, the seeds are removed from the rind and then allowed to dry outside in the sun. Once dried, the seeds are then pressed to extract the beneficial oil. We provide the most superior watermelon seed oil available, carefully sourced and packaged to maintain the purity, freshness and beneficial properties of this highly nutritive oil.
The light texture, moisturizing capabilities and stable shelf life of watermelon seed oil lends it to be a highly suitable addition to natural baby oil formulations. Unlike mineral oil that is a common ingredient in commercial baby oils, watermelon seed oil does not clog pores or prevent the body from naturally eliminating toxins through the skin. The rich composition of essential fatty acids contained in watermelon seed oil helps to restore elasticity to the skin. It, therefore, is also a wonderful addition to skin care formulations for all skin types, including dry, oily, acne-prone or maturing skin. Watermelon seed oil is also a perfect choice for inclusion in hair care formulations as it is non-greasy yet highly moisturizing.
Watermelon Seed Oil Properties:
• Light in Texture
• Non-Greasy
• Penetrating
• Absorbs Quickly
• Highly Moisturizing
• Emollient
• Rich in Omega 6 and 9 EFAs
• Dissolves Sebum Buildup
• Stable Shelf-Life
Oil: Wheatgerm
Wheatgerm oil is rich is vitamins A, D and E. It is often used sparingly to prolong the shelf life of massage oils and will discourage oxidation within the unsaponifiables in soap. Wheatgerm oil is very nourishing to the skin. Wheatgerm oil prevents moisture loss from the skin, and it soothes irritated, sunburned, or burned skin. Wheatgerm oil is especially beneficial within massage oil formulations. Wheatgerm oil can beincluded at 10% within soap making formulations to add additional moisturizing and nutritive benefit.
Oil: Yangu (Cape Chestnut)
Yangu Oil, otherwise known as Cape Chestnut, is extracted from the seed of a beautiful African forest tree. Yangu oil is a popular oil in African skin care. When the fruits ripen, the pods burst and release tiny black seeds from which the oil is pressed. It is used in cosmetics due to its inherent ultra violet protection and it's high content of essential fatty acids and antioxidants. Yangu oil is a nourishing addition to soap, hair conditioner, facial cream, suncare, balm and scrub formulations.
Resin: Sangre de Drago, Refined
Sangre de Drago (or Dragon's Blood) is extracted from a medium to large sized tree that grows in the tropics and in the Amazonian regions of South America. When the trunk of the tree is cut or wounded, it exudes a dark, red sap or resin that resembles blood. The curative powers of this thick resin and tree bark were well known by indigenous tribes of Mexico, Peru and Ecuador. They painted the sap onto their skin to help stop bleeding, protect wounds, and promote healing. The antiseptic sap dries quickly, forming a seal over wounded skin, preventing infection and allowing the skin to heal. In tribal medicine, the Sangre De Drago sap was used both externally and well as internally, to heal wounds, stomach ulcers, throat infections, mouth ulcers, skin afflictions and insect bites. The sap is additionally believed to be useful as an antiherpes agent. These ethnomedical applications of the sap have been confirmed by both in vitro and in vivo studies.
The wound healing abilities of Sangre de Drago, are attributed to its active constituents: proanthocyanadins (antioxidants), a lignan called dimethylcedrusine, and an alkaloid called taspine. Taspine has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, antisarcomic, antiviral, antitumor and cicatrizing properties. Studies have also shown that Sandre de Drago resin can help contract a wound, form a crust at the wound site, assist in the formatiom of collagen and regenerate skin cells. This unique combination of anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and cicatrizing properties make the resin an exceptional ingredient in formulations intended for healing skin abrasions, wounds, burns, eczema and rashes. The resin is water soluble and should be added to the water phase.
Properties:
• Antiseptic
• Antiviral
• Cicatrizing
• Antiherpes
• Anti-inflammatory
• Antitumor
• Antisarcomic
• High content of proanthocyanadins (antioxidants), taspine (alkaloid)
• Contracts and seals wounds, promotes collagen formation, assists in skin regeneration
• Prevents infection
Sangre de drago is a highly recommended ingredient in products for:
• Cracked, Damaged Skin
• Wounds and Burns
• Acne
• Treatment of Insect Bites and Stings
• Treatment of Cold Sores

I hate the way the formatting didn't come across. Whenever I am looking at a particular oil I go to this little database that I created in word and do a search. I check out the properties of the oil and make sure it is what I want:) My favorite oils now are wheat germ oil (WGO) and castor oil
HTH

Last edited:
onyxdreams you are most welcome. I got tired of searching for oils on various different websites so I decided to make something that I could go straight to that particular oil.

my two favorite oils are castor oil and jojoba oil :lick: Castor oil is heavy and will seal in moisture like nothing else. It's heavy so I only recommend using on the ends. Jojoba oil is light and not greasy. Jojoba is also great if your face gets dry in the winter.

I also really like amla oil. It's my favorite pre-poo oil. It's heavy but not as heavy as castor oil so mixed with conditioner it gives great slip. It helps my hair stay dark and shiny. Mineral oil is the carrier oil in that product so it depend how you feel about mineral oil. My hair doesn't mind it. Plus I use it before I shampoo so it doesn't bother me.

If i'm honest with myself I could get away with just water and castor oil and still reach my length goals...using other stuff helps with other aspects of hair care like detangling, hold and softness for non-protective styles like braid outs

To add to winona’s fabulous list, these are my notes on the various oils and additives that are in my personal arsenal:

Almond (high Vitamin E content; softens, strengthens & nourishes; treats hair loss, breakage & scalp issues; smoothes cuticle)

Amla (penetrates the scalp and strengthens the hair at its root; not only stops abnormal hair loss, but reverses its effects which promotes stronger, healthier new growth; excellent conditioning herb

Argan (contains Vitamin E and antioxidants; rich in unsaturated EFAs which serve to strengthen the protein bonding structures in hair thereby improving its strength and healing split ends; gives new life to dry, tangled and flyaway hair; has properties similar to those of Jojoba; hydrates and penetrates to enhance elasticity; nourishes and promotes growth; strengthens by repairing damaged cellular membranes caused by destructive agents; cures brittleness, restores smoothness and manageability, and increases the life of color-treated hair; enriches hair growth and pigmentation; prevents dandruff and the premature graying of hair; increases the strength of the hair follicles, which prevents hair-fall; brings forth a rich, natural shine and soft texture to the hair as well as helps rejuvenate hairs that are dull and damaged; it also prevents split hair ends)

Babassu (fast penetrating oil; one of nature’s richest emollients, beneficial for either dry or oily complexions; nourishes and restores hair’s strength, resulting in shiny, healthy-looking hair)

Black Cumin Seed (Containing a rich variety of vitamins including A, B1, B2, B6, C, Niacin and Folacin and an impressive array of minerals including calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, selenium, copper, phosphorus and zinc; is known to be particularly effective at combating auto-immune skin disorders, making it a natural choice for psoriasis treatment; it can also help to soothe acne and various forms of eczema; may also help relieve pain caused by arthritis or sore muscles and is an excellent choice for massage oil blends)

Black Seed (high EFAs and amino acids; penetrative; improves circulation; is antiseptic, astringent, cleansing, & skin regenerative; helps prevent hair loss, stunted growth & thinning; strengthens, nourishes & conditions the hair and scalp)

Brahmi (outstanding hair nourisher due to its antioxidant properties that enables the production of healthy roots which promotes growth and thwarts hair loss and dandruff; it is the best therapy for people who have chronic hair problems; continued use results in long, dense, black and lustrous hair; prevents hair fall out and premature graying

Broccoli Seed (rich in Vitamin A, arachidonic acid & polyunsaturated acids; has a unique composition of fatty acids that are useful for imparting a sheen and luster that is comparable to silicones; its quick penetrating action that helps reduce the greasy after feel; quickens hydration of the skin; highly moisturizing)

Camellia Seed (moisturizes softens, and protects hair; provides hair with luster and shine; promotes hair growth)

Castor (germicidal, insecticidal and fungicidal properties that cleans the scalp of any impurities that inhibit maximum growth; humectant; moisturizes hair and scalp; prevents dryness; promotes growth & thickness; EFAs nourish & prevent scalp dryness by retaining moisture; increases softness & shine)

Extra Virgin Coconut aka EVCO (highly penetrative - it is the only natural oil that can penetrate all three layers of the hair shaft; rich in vitamin E, natural fortifying fatty acids and emollients that have an innate attraction to the proteins in hair, which allows for deeper penetration; it has been proven to enhance, moisturize and strengthen the hair shaft, and thereby reduce split ends, dryness and breakage; its affinity for protein results in a high degree of penetration, which causes it to resist protein reduction (reduce the amount of protein that is lost); it also replenishes vital oils as well as giving the hair shine, softness and bounce; is also known to have antifungal and antibacterial properties, therefore, it can be used for common scalp problems, to heal insect bites and pimples of the scalp, in addition to keeping lice away from the scalp; it promotes overall scalp health, which is crucial for the growth of healthy hair; it is especially ideal for dry hair, which is more prone to hair breakage and damage; has powerful antioxidant, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties; can be drying if used in excess)

Emu (natural DHT blocker; highly penetrative – is able to access all layers of the skin and hair, and is able to take other substances along with it for deeper penetration; has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial & antifungal properties; able to rejuvenate skin cells and wake up lifeless hair follicles to the anagen (growth) phase; fosters follicle development and growth by increasing the synthesis of DNA in the epidermis which results in the stimulation of skin regeneration and the proliferation of the cells around the hair follicle; thickens the hair by enlarging the follicles)

Flax Seed (a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and the Omega-3 series of essential fatty acids; topical use allows the body to absorb some of the essential fatty acids necessary for healthy cellular activity; can help soften and heal skin abrasions, reduce the swelling and redness of lesions due to skin disease and improve the health of the skin)

Fractionated Coconut (has an indefinite shelf life; a light, non-greasy, non-staining, liquid oil; is a good choice for use in massage, skin care and soap formulations because it is a useful carrier oil since it helps to carry therapeutic oils under the skin; unlike EVCO, it will retain its liquid form at lower temperatures)

Grape Seed (high EFA content; antioxidant properties; induces hair growth through the proliferation of hair follicle cells; prevents hair loss)

Hemp Seed (contains ceramides; penetrable; imparts gloss and manageability to hair; aids in keratin formation; helps to increase volume, comb ability and shine; smoothes down the cuticle of hair)

Jamaican Black Castor aka JBCO (unrefined, pure dark castor oil that contains a high ash content, which means it contains or Silica, Magnesium and other elements that serve to strengthen and thicken the hair, thereby making it more potent than the regular processed castor oil; serves to improve the condition of hair and skin; helps to keep the hair thicker, shinier, and less prone to damage or breakage; may be used for skin conditions, such as eczema, liver spots, moles, pimples, rashes and warts; it also helps improve the appearance of calluses by keeping them soft and supple; effective against muscle and joint pain)

Jojoba (moisturizes extra dry, thirsty hair; infuses moisture directly into the scalp; improves elasticity, moisture balance & lasting shine with consistent use)

Karanja (this cousin of Neem offers an array of similar therapeutic benefits; has insecticidal and antiseptic properties; can be used to treat eczema, psoriasis, skin ulcers, dandruff, or to promote wound healing; has a milder, nutty, it has a more versatile aroma than Neem Oil)

Kukui Nut (high Vitamin A, C, E and EFAs; penetrative; contains ceramides; creates a protective shield that locks in moisture; increases softness, shine and detangling ability)

Macadamia Nut (penetrative; easily absorbed by both the hair follicles and the scalp, resulting in less amounts of dandruff, increased silkiness and shine of the hair, and even a promotion in the rate at which the hair grows; emollient; properties are very similar to mink oil and sebum)

Neem (contains EFAs and Vitamin E; intensive hair and scalp treatment that repairs damaged hair and restores healthy sheen and manageability; stimulates circulation of the scalp and supports hair growth; discourages flaking and irritation of the scalp; a stimulant that promotes growth; an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and anti-parasitic agent used to treat skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, scabies, syphilitic sores, gingivitis and chicken pox)

Palm (rich in oleic and palmitic acids, magnesium and Vitamins A, E & K ; a natural source of anti-oxidant; resists oxidation and rancidity, which means products made using palm oil have extended shelf lives)

Pumpkin Seed (contains high levels of iron, manganese, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, copper, potassium, amino acids and Omega 3 & 6; natural DHT blocker; decreases hair loss)

Red Palm (softens, improves elasticity, and adds shine; has antibacterial properties which aids in providing a healthy growing environment for your scalp and hair follicles; does not lose its nutrients when it is heated; very heavy, thick oil that solidifies at room temperature)

Rice Bran (contains ceramides; adds sheen and manageability while moisturizing and conditioning hair; imparts shine and texture, leaving hair easy to style; contains proteins that help strengthen the hair shaft and prevent split ends)

Sesame (penetrative; softens, strengthens & nourishes; promotes hair growth; has hair darkening abilities)

Shikakai (has a naturally low pH, as well as conditioning and strengthening properties)

Sunflower (contains ceramides and Vitamins E & A; nourishes and protects for silky, strong, healthy hair; hair strengthener; prevents aging of the hair follicle, which may delay graying)

Walnut (rich in ceramides, Vitamins A & C and linoleic acid; conditioning hair oil that provides flowing, smooth and manageable hair)

Wheat Germ (rich in Vitamins A, D & E; contains ceramides and proteins)

Cont.’d

ADDITIVES
Honeyquat (penetrative; humectant with excellent moisture-binding & shine qualities especially with consistent use; ability to soften and plasticize)

Glycerin (humectant with extreme hydrophilic properties; moisture-binding properties; conditions dry, frizzy, brittle hair; strengthens leading to less breakage & split ends; facilitates detangling; has the ability to strip hair dyes)

Silk Amino Acids (highly penetrative; forms a transparent crystalline protective film after it dries that helps to retain moisture, prevent damage, in addition to increasing elasticity and shine)

ESSENTIAL OILS
Bergamot (highly effective hair conditioner; gives body; promotes hair growth; retards fall out)

Carrot Seed (high Vitamin A, E & amino acids; penetrative; strengthens and repairs weak, damaged hair; facilitates the production of new hair cells)

Clary Sage (purifying, antimicrobial, antiseptic & astringent botanical that is a tremendous conditioner; eliminates hair loss & prevents fall out; strengthens and thickens the current hair shaft)

Cedarwood (effective treatment for scalp conditions)

Lavender (an effective cleanser and oil regulator for fine hair; provides fullness and body

Peppermint (scalp stimulant; encourages growth)

Rosemary (circulatory stimulant for the hair follicles; facilitates new hair growth; prevents fall out; adds sheen; assists with itchy scalp issues)

Thyme (promotes growth

OTHER OILS
Hairveda’s Cocasta Shikakai Hair Oil
Castor Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Shikakai Oil, Brahmi Oil, Amla Oil, Neem Oil, Fragrance

Hairveda’s AvoSoya Light & Silky Oil Blend
Avocado Oil, Soybean Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Neem Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Fragrance

African Royale Hot Six Oil
Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Safflower Oil, Castor Oil, Sesame Oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Cyclomethicone, Sheep Sorrel, Yarrow, Slippery Elm, Bark, Sage, Henna, Comfrey, Burdock Root, Ginseng, Golden Seal, Cherry Bark, Black Walnut, Chamomile , Alfalfa, Hyssop, Wheat Germ, Fragrance

Wild Growth Light Oil Moisturizer aka WGO
Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Carrot Oil, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Safflower Oil, Roman Chamomile Oil, Black Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin E

Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil, Neem, Brahmi, Fruit Extracts Of Amla, Bahera, and Harar, Kapur Kachri, Henna, Milk, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil, TBHQ (T-Butyl Hydroquinone), Fragrance (Coconut Oil - promotes hair growth & nourishment; Neem - anti-microbial, fights dandruff & hair fall; Brahmi - hair revitalizer; Amla - hair nourishment, delays graying & hair fall; Bahera - maintains hair color; Harar - protects from UV rays, delays graying; Kapur Kachari – antiseptic; Henna - colorant, hair conditioner & restorative; Rosemary Oil - stimulant for hair follicles, prevents fall out/thinning; Lemon Oil - astringent, fights dandruff, controls sebum flow; Cow's Milk - natural nourishment for scalp & roots)

Back