Oiling Hair

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

How do you think hair should be moisturized for the winter? Right now, I use a variety things, like Profectiv products, Castor Oil and Hot Six Oil.

Do ya'll put products in your hair everyday? Must you use a clarifying shampoo as a result? I put water in my hair nearly everyday.

I have to wet my hair every day, too. Combing it while it's dry is not an option for me! /images/graemlins/wink.gif
My favorite sprays are Grandma's Secret Recipe Will-Gro Scalp Spray, Ion Leave-In Conditioner and ilora l'original for Kids Detangling Leave-In Conditioner. These make my hair easy to comb and they don't get hard as they dry. (Infusium 23 and Fantasia w/Aloe made hair feel hard...)
I don't like putting oil in my hair every day, but that seems like the only thing that makes my hair feel soft. I tried the Elasta QP Mango Butter, but it's too light for my hair...
I'm wearing braids (not that often anymore) and a fake afro puff while my hair is growing out, so greasy hair isn't much of an isue. But next summer I'll have enough hair to wear down. Or 'out' in my case /images/graemlins/tongue.gif and I don't want greasy hair. I want people (ok--A MAN! /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) to be able to touch my hair without ending up with hands all shiny and slippery with grease.
I don't use clarifying shampoo. I use gentle shampoos and I still dilute them with distilled water. I'm worried I'm not getting all of this crud out of my hair...
This is not the hair I had as a child...
I want soft, touchable, fluffy, non-greasy hair.
I'm beginning to wonder if I have hard water...

It's freezing cold these days in NYC and I've noticed that my ends are snapping/spliting. So, in addition to moisturizing my hair (especially the ends) twice a day I am never leaving the house without a hat. I think the cold air is drying out my hair.

My hair looks healthy, but the ends are splitting a lot. I'm practically dusting my ends everyday because everytime I inspect it I see another couple splits. This is unusual so I'm assuming it is due to this weather.

I've been moisturizing most recently with Africa's Best Organic Liquid Hair Mayonnaise. I am using this because it is the only hair product I've found that I can put on my hair everyday without making my hair greasy. I put tons of this stuff on my ends everyday and it's not at all greasy (or maybe my hair just really soaks this stuff up).

On my wet hair (after washing), I apply jojoba oil to the ends, and CD Hair Milk, Kiehl's Silk Groom or the Mayonnaise thruout as leave-ins.

BlkMane and Karonica

I live in the NYC area too and noticed an immediate change in my hair with the weather change-the split ends & dry looking hair. I now always wear a hat and I just had it set and wrapped. I dont take my hair out of the wrap and DOO rag prior to leaving my house for work-just add the hat and re wrap my hair prior to leaving for work. A sista caught me once re-wrapping my hair in the bathroom before I left for work, but she knew the deal /images/graemlins/wink.gif
Another thing that I have been doing is running a humidifer at the crib and that has helped. My hair is damaged due to overprocessing so my ends are VERY delicate so I need all the extra. I oil my ends everynight and right now am trying out Dudley's PCA. I also like BB moisture-it is pink but contains castor oil and water and it shines my hair and is not greasy. Good Luck!

In North Carolina the weather got really cold really fast and even though I mentioned this on another post coconut oil is the only thing that is saving me right now. I use it every three days on my scalp and just about every day on the hair itself. I use elasta qp recovery moisturizer on the days I don't use coconut oil. I find that the more I use plain oils without additives like silicone, the need for clarifying shampoos isn't big. I use one once a month now. I think the major thing for hair in the winter is to keep a product on it at all time. I like for my hair to be slightly weighed down in the winter because it seems to save it from my hands, air and everything thing else.

Being its so cold I'm trying to be extra vigilant.

I usually do a pre oil treatment with virgin olive oil before washes. Or I'll add virgin olive to my conditioner which really makes the hair much more moisturized. In between washes I apply a little virgin olive oil lightly on the ends all over.

I also use castor oil mixed again with o olive *lightly* on my hairline. (dang this is starting to sound like an oil slick /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

I wear hats practically every day and have started to sometimes pin my hair up (keeping the ends in) which works well for my chunky scarves which I can wrap around my neck without having the hair get in the way /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've been rinsing(or shampooing) 4-5 times a week. I find the shea/oils I use work much better this way. Normally my hair stays moisturised till the next day, but with the indoor heat along with the cold air outside my hair is starting to feel dry by the end of the day. So I have been keeping it moisturised daily. It seems I don't really get a buildup with the oils and butter, so I haven't used a clarifying shampoo in almost a year. I do an ACV rinse once a week instead and if I feel I need more I mix a little lemon juice in my shampoo.

Back