Oil Mister-- anyone?

FindingMe

I have the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey and one of the most useful tips that I have found in her book was using an oil spray mister to spray dry hair with good oils. Kinda like homemade oil sheen spray, but better! :thumbsup:

I do this every couple of days (on my scalp and all over) using Karen's Body Beautiful hair oil (Jojoba Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Black Seed Oil, Vitamin E & Essential and/or Fragrance Oils.) I do it at night when I dry twist my hair and then cover with a silk scarf and sleep.

It's a great trick bc it adds shine to my hair, eliminates frizz and keeps it soft and moisturized without adding a water based moisturizer which tends to make my hair swell and frizz. (Jojoba oil is my hair's friend:lick:) It's also good because it distributes the oil really well all over, but I can concentrate the oil where I need it. It helps my twists and twists outs to stay nicer looking longer and frizz-free and stretch out my washes. :yep:

I will also spray oil mist when I just need a lil extra shine on my hair and it works GREAT! Kinda like Aveda Brilliant but without the cones, etc.

I use an Endurance mister like the one below:
http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Oil-Mister-18-Endurance/dp/B000QSFKRO

And basically have had no issues with clogging, only that you have to "burp" the mister (ie, unscrew the top to let the pressure out after use)

Also, I don't spray too much, just a light coating (much like you would spray a canned oil sheen spray) and that's enough for my hair to have added shine and not be greasy.

Lorraine Massey recommends any kind of nut oil (canola, olive, jojoba, cocnut, etc.) and even recommends adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil as fragrance. I think this would be of benefit to relaxed, natural or texlaxed hair ie, anyone who has dry, thirsty hair and is partial to good oils.

Anyone else do this? What are your oil spray/mister tricks & benefits?

I like this idea. I use the Wonder 8 spray for a light oil mist, but I don't like the smell. I'd like to mix my own.

I want one of these! I have macadamia nut oil, sunflower oil, castor oil...all kinds of natural oils and need to do something with them...

I like this idea. I use the Wonder 8 spray for a light oil mist, but I don't like the smell. I'd like to mix my own.

You just gave me a great idea the wonder 8 spray costs 2 bucks at the dollar store, i can buy that and dump out the oil and put in my own.:look::grin:.

You just gave me a great idea the wonder 8 spray costs 2 bucks at the dollar store, i can buy that and dump out the oil and put in my own.:look::grin:.

Doesn't quite work -- I already tried that. :perplexed

It's very tricky to get the right mix of light/heavy/mid weight oils for them to still "spritz" freely. If the mix is too heavy then you get a squirt of oil rather than a mist. :wallbash:

They have ones filled with Olive Oil for cooking. Everytime I'm at the supermarket I stop and look at it. :lick: I'm just not sure of how I'd go about refilling it once it was empty...:scratchch

I bought the one from bed bath and beyond. But I rarely use it because I dont really use a lot of any type of oil on my hair because its so thin. You have to pump it before you spray the oil. I guess if you use oil frequently it may be worth it. I think it was b/w 10-15$.

I have one and don't use it for cooking because it doesn't spray enough for cooking so I get frustrated. It might be just right for hair though.

Good lookin out, I've had that thing for about 8 years!!!!

I have two for my hair, one for my nighttime blend and one for my daytime one. It really is great! It allows me to seal my twists without having to manipulate them too much and make them frizzy, and I love the lightness of it. Easily one of my best investments :yep:.

You can't use a regular spray bottle?:look: Just saying...:eyebrows2:giggle:
Same thing I was thinking b/c I bought a 4oz spray bottle from walmart (travel size) & I put my oils in it & comes out like a mist not heavy at all. I have jbco, peppermint oil, jojoba oil, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, & rosemary oil in mine & I love it. :yep:

Wow thanks for the tip. That would make it alot easier to apply oil to my hair. Then that way I won't put too much on my hair.

I bought the one from bed bath and beyond. But I rarely use it because I dont really use a lot of any type of oil on my hair because its so thin. You have to pump it before you spray the oil. I guess if you use oil frequently it may be worth it. I think it was b/w 10-15$.

yep,:yep: but it comes out in like an aerosol form from the mister and not just like a spray from a regular pump. If you have a thinner oil, i think the reg pump may work, but it didn't work for me. My pump kept getting clogged. When I read that she was using a tool made specifically to spray oils, i thought :think:

I also use thicker oils like olive and jojoba and so I had to get the mister specifically designed for oil spraying. It's really used for cooking, but works wonderfully in spraying the oil on my hair for a light sheen whenever I need.

Last edited:
I use oils daily, this would be great for travelling with as well. I have a gift certificate at bed and bath may use it for the oil mister.

I use oils daily, this would be great for travelling with as well. I have a gift certificate at bed and bath may use it for the oil mister.

Just remember to unscrew the top after use and "burp" it to release the air pressure :yep: you just rescrew tightly after that. they say this also helps with clogging...

Thanks FM. You always have some good advice.

I'm definitely going to have to invest in this. I didn't like that my twists were getting fuzzy from rubbing leave-ins and oils into them everyday/EOD. This will definitely allow my styles to last longer.

thanks for putting this out there, i tried this using a regular pump spray bottle and waaaay too much came out and it was more concentrated in one area. my head was a halfway greasy mess. didn't know they made these.

Thank you so much OP
I was just researching the Aveda brilliant but know I can just stick to my coconut oil which my hair loves!

Back