Ohmigoodness, I think I'm losin it! HELP

luckymonkey1307

Hello everyone, I am new, sort of, been around for about a year, then got neglectful, and now i joined...
ANYHOO

I have been natural all of my life, ALL OF MY LIFE....last year i had some trouble with a scissor happy stylist, and she chopped my hair up to my ear....HMPF.....luckily she went to my church, so i had to stay sane and christian like otherwise she would have gotten the wrath of Hayley...but anyway....i recently went to a dominican salon that I have never gone to before (it was my first time ever trying one as well) and I was so excited to see everyone's hair. Their hair was all shiny and bouncy....since i am natural i wasn't sure if they were guna be able to do my hair the way everyone else's was...but i waited anyway. First off...I waited an hour before anybody started my hair. The washing was nice, and everything but then i got in the chair and one of the ladies started blowdrying. They blowed it out straight, but u know the "natural looking" straight, not the perm lookin straight. Anyway, then I had to wait to get into the main ladies chair so she could "finish it off" well, i waited and waited and FINALLY she told me to come and sit in the chair. She added all this hairspray and crap and started flat ironing it. Now i was hoping for something a little different than the traditional "i can't make black people's hair straight the nice way, so im guna pile it up with gel" mess, but she kept right on, i even heard the deadly sizzle as she was doing it. Anyway, when she was done, it looked ok but it was bone straight and not much movement to it, because it was kind of stiff. Then i had to pay FIFTY DOLLARS at a dominican salon, which is crazy, i asked why and the man said "o well she did a kind of press n curl" ok, using a flat iron is not a press and curl, had she gotten my roots completely straight, that would have been one thing, but UH UH, nope she sure didnt....so u can bet i was a tad bit peeved.

But my point is, everyone in the salon that had a perm (with the exception of two older women) had long relaxed hair. It was weird, and their hair looked wonderful after they did it. My question is, I've always wanted the curly hair look, always, its just something that has always appealed to me. I probably wouldn't get a full relaxer, just a light texturizer, something to make my hair easier to manage. Then I could do my hair on my own once i figured out how to do everything. The only heat i would ever have to put on it is when i would do a wet set or something like that.....but then i don't want my hair to fall out, im so scared that if i get it my hair will break off and i will be bald and THAT CAN'T HAPPEN! Ohmigosh, I would probably cry....a lot. I just don't know what to do....does anyone have any light alternatives....my hair has been trained by the pressing comb so its not hard to deal with when wet, but when it dries its like normal afro hair...ugh i hate it on me, some people look great in it, but it just doesnt work for me....help!

Wait, so what's the problem...do you not know what to do with your hair, or do you want tips on how to keep it healthy if you texturize? Do you regularly press your hair? I would really think twice about texturizing if you've never used a chemical in your entire life. If you learn how to press, you can do that by yourself at home as well.

I wouldn't put a chemical on hair that has been pressed all your life. That's what I did and my hair broke off in patches at the root. I'm currently transitioning after only 4 relaxers.
The dominicans do my natural hair by just blowdrying it with a paddle brush. I won't allow them to use any other heat. It comes out very silky. You just need to find the right dominican shop.

I don't have any specific advice, but I just wanted to say that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. I would hate for you to get some type of chemicals only to discover that you still were not happy with your hair.

The key thing is to REALLY figure out what works best with your hair and not worry about what anybody else's hair looks like. I don't think that relaxed hair is necessarily easier to manage than natural hair. Whether relaxed or natural you need lots of TLC to keep healthy looking hair on your head.

I've been natural all my life too, and at times I kind of hated my hair because it was a pain to deal with. But now that I've got a regime that works for me, I see that my natural hair wasn't the issue. I just hadn't put all the pieces together yet.

Anyway, good luck with your hair. Hope you find what works for you.

Thanks guys for your responses, i guesss my question is that do you think it would be smart for me to put a text in my hair? But caligirl, ur response scared me...i dont want my hair to fall out. is there a way to protect it somehow?

Back