Oh pllleaaassseeee help me decide!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plenty

I cannot get passed whether I should go natural or stay relaxed!

I see other women with natural hair, and I want it because I feel they know something that I don't. I also want it becuase I don't want to depend on prodcuts and I don't want white people to think blacks cant have long afro textured hair.

I want a relaxer becuase I like the look and it seems easier to maintain. I have 4a/b hair.

Did anybody struggle with there decision?

I struggled with this for years and I did have my hair natural( a la wedge cut) to grow out a bad perm and liked it how it looked but knew in order to grow it out it would take a lot of patience. In order for it to be straight I would have to blow dry it with a comb and I do not like heat on my hair nor do I like blow drying it. Braid outs and twist outs were not popular 15 yrs ago when I did go natural so I decided on a compromise: texlaxed or degree relaxing-my hair is only relaxed ~60% it leaves loads of body in it like my natural hair with the ability to do braid outs/twist outs/wet wraps/roller sets etc. I don't relax my own hair though, I left this to the pros ,but that was the way to go for me.

Well plenty I was like you going back and forth in my decision. I have decided to just give it a try. I have been so inspired by the natural ladies here because they have some georgeous heads. I often play in my new growth which is a mixture of soft waves and tight curls and wonder how it would be to have a head full of that kind of texture. I start my transition in December and I am looking forward to it. What's the real reason you think you may want to go natural?

I was struggling with the same issue (may still be, shoot *laugh*). Just yesterday I called myself making a decision but we'll see. As of now, I am actually natural; I BC'd in February of this year. I love the look of my short, natural hair! However, I am planning to grow my hair out and when I was natural before my hair was a lot to deal with and it wasn't even really long. It took me 5 years to grow out a good sized puff and I was in a low maintenence regimen! My hair was easier for me to manage while relaxed, AND I miss bouncin' and swingin' my hair! I live in the South and my hair laughs at presses, so it is either natural or relaxed for me.

To have my desired mid-back length hair would mean a lot more work for me if I were natural! I am a teacher with 2 young *girls* (girls = other heads to do) and don't have the time and patience to perfect any braiding styles, which I don't like on myself. I am planning to relax my hair in July or August. Either I will texlax it or relax it straight (not bone straight though). I'm not going to front; although I am looking forward to relaxing it, I will certainly miss my naps!

*** Edited to say: Even if it's more work, I think that I will remain natural. I have some styling options that I'd like to try when my hair gets longer, and I will miss my naps *TOO* much! (Told you I was vacillating on this issue! lol!)

Last edited:
I am a 4a/**** type. The decision to go natural was made for me as the last time my "beautician" permed me a chunk broke of all the way down to the scalp a few days later (not all at once..lol). I was done! I have been growing out my perm/natural etc for about 15 months and I will NEVER go back. Dealing with my hair can quite challenging and it isn't even shoulder length yet :eek: But I feel blessed that thickness is something I can complain about. Also, I have a beautiful curl pattern so once I get some dern length ain't gon' be no stoppin' me(because my shrinkage is out of control).

I say go natural just to give it a try and see how you feel. I didn't really struggle with my choice, I also can't remember what made me make the choice either.

In my opinion natural hair is easier to maintain. I barely spend anytime on it to get it looking good and I mean 10 mins top for a wash n go. When my hair was relaxed I agonized over every single hair, it was annoying.

Just try it out

Wildchild453 said:
I say go natural just to give it a try and see how you feel. I didn't really struggle with my choice, I also can't remember what made me make the choice either.

In my opinion natural hair is easier to maintain. I barely spend anytime on it to get it looking good and I mean 10 mins top for a wash n go. When my hair was relaxed I agonized over every single hair, it was annoying.

Just try it out

I agree... the worst that can happen, is you hate it and relax again... which you're doing anyways and at least this way you won't have to fight with yourself, because you will have tried it and figured out whether its for you or not.

If you go back to relaxing, you're also starting out with a fresh head of hair :) .

I love the freedom with my natural hair, and the bounce and body when I do rollerset or press and curl. With the relaxer, I never could get enough moisture. Then again, that was 11 years ago, so I didn't know anything I now today about what you guys do for moisture, etc. for relaxed hair.

Like someone said, the worst thing is you don't like it and you go back to relaxing.

Plenty said:
I cannot get passed whether I should go natural or stay relaxed!

Did anybody struggle with there decision?

Yes, I struggled with it. And I just looked at how my hair responded to relaxers. I never had and length with them so I decided to give natural a try. Im gaining length so Im sticking with being natural. I too like the relaxed look better on myself vs natural styles, but its something that will just grow on you with time and effort. Im still in the baby stages of being natural, just starting to play with some styling options, so maybe I will enjoy both relaxed and natural styles on me just the same.

Which ever decision you decide do it to prove a point to yourself not others. If I did that I would still be relaxed, cause ALL my friends think Im nuts for going natural, but I knew it was best for ME and my goals.

Go natural....You know you want to...Everyone's doing it!.........my best attempt in peer pressure (as I am transitioning now)

Back