Oh, My Beloved Aphogee :-(

AngieK

I might have to let this product go :-(

I have been an avid user of Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair. I mean, I've been using it for YEARS (since the 90's) with great results. I had the routine down to a science and always ended up with thick healthy shiny strands. However, the last few times that I have used it my hair was EXTREMELY dry and dull - I mean dryer that it has EVER been. My usual follow up moisturizing conditioners didn't penetrate too well and afterwards my hair wouldn't accept moisturizers/oils. Everything just seemed to sit on TOP off my hair. I felt like I was walking around with someone else's hair on my head!!

Well, when I was cleaning out my cabinet a few weeks ago, I took a good look at the product details. I noticed that the ingredient list seemed longer than before (I'm talking about the product in the new packaging). I then compared it with an old sample package that I found and, lo and behold, I found that the formula has changed. So, the next time I used the older sample package and received the same great results as I had in the past.

Here is the comparison:

ApHogee Treatment for Damaged Hair (Original)
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Ethylene Urea, Dimethylol Urea, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Carbonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

ApHogeeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (New)
Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water, Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethlysiloxyamodimethicone, Maurita Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocoperyl Acetate, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betain, Fragrance, Magnesium Carbonate, Diethyl Glycol, Tricedeth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

The silicone is highlighted in red because my hair has always been sensitive to silicones, and this is one that that I have a terrible problem using (siloxy types). Another one I have a problem with is cyclopentasiloxane, which seems to added to everything these days.

I doubt if the addition of just this one particular ingredient is what is causing the problem, but I find the new formula to be VERY DRYING - to the point where I am looking for a replacement. So far, I don't like the results AT ALL. I may give it one more try with a different follow-up moisture treatment, but it looks like I may have to retire my beloved ApHogee

(TAPS is playing subtlely in the background)

AngieK :-(

Wow, that's terrible. I hate when products just change up on us like that. What are you going to do?

Thanks for the heads up!

I have a bottle of each version... I'll try it, but I'll really be paying attention to how my hair feels afterwards!

Aaaaw :sad:

I just did one last week and remember thinking that my hair wasnt instantly soft like it usually is once i rinse the product out, it was alittle more dry....I forgot the ingrdients had changed and would have never even thought of that as the reason.

:nono: :nono:

so sorry to hear that! i hate it when you find something that works perfectly for your hair, and they go and change it up on you. :nono:

Wow, that's terrible. I hate when products just change up on us like that. What are you going to do?

I'm not sure . . . I've been on the internet searching for a new product. I guess I could substitute Nexxus Emergencee. I like the Emergencee, but it just isn't the same as ApHogee (original). There is another product called Jheri Redding Natural Protein that reviewers say gives similar results (folica.com), but I am skeptical because it is vegetable protein.

Here is the product description:

Jheri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner

100% natural revitalisant that rebuilds damaged hair, protects prior to perming, conditions during coloring services, maximizes curl retention. Natural Protein Conditioner helps reduce damage and mend split ends, adds body, luster, resiliency and strength to hair, can also be used when coloring or perming hair.

Ingredients:

Water, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Sodium Chloride, Apple Cider Vinegar.

Directions:

Conditioning:
Shampoo and towel dry hair. Work 1/4 to 1/2 oz of Natural Protein Conditioner thoroughly into hair. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water, style as usual.

Color work and permanent waving:
Add 1/4 oz of Natural Protein Conditioner to tint, toner, bleach or permanent wave lotion for added conditioning.

For pre-perm conditioning:
Apply 1/4 to 1/2 oz of Natural Protein Conditioner to hair for 5 to 10 minutes before perming. Do not rinse out, wrap hair and proceed with curling lotion as usual.

For better curl retention after perming:
An acidifying rinse is recommended. After neutralizing, rinse, and towel drying the hair, comb a mixture of equal parts Natural Protein Conditioner and Apple Cider Vinegar through the hair for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse and proceed with styling.

Here is a sample review:

Good Stuff!!
Reviewer: karen 2007-09-16

"In the "Protein" conditioner category, altho' I prefer Aphogee, I'd say this conditioner is equal to or as good as Aphogee. JRNP leaves the hair very silky. This product may be better for those with very damaged, brittle hair, as it does not dry out the hair like Aphogee tends to do. Of course, any resulting dryness from any "protein" conditioner can be circumvented by simply applying a little moisturizing conditioner prior to the protein application. The "smell" did not bother me. As soon as you rinse the protein out, the smell is gone. Overall, this product deserves 5 stars. It leaves the hair in EXCELLENT condition; soft, silky, shiny; and there's no residue."

I will keep researching and I'll definitely update if I find something good.

AngieK

Back