OD'ed on OCT. Help me find a MOISTURIZING Leave-in...PLEASE!

**WonderWoman**

My hair really HATES protein! I've been using Ovation Cell Therapy consistently for less than 2weeks and my hair has OD'ed on protein. :wallbash:

I co-wash daily and my hair comes now out tangly when I used to get soft, fluffy hair with my HE. Now I lose a lot of hair trying to detangle and my hair dries hard. Since I co-wash daily, can you imagine the amount of hairs I've lost?

I've stopped washing with OCT and started applying it on my scalp daily but my hair just seems to be soaking up its protein and getting worse. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
My hair really HATES protein! I've been using Ovation Cell Therapy consistently for less than 2weeks and my hair has OD'ed on protein. :wallbash:

I co-wash daily and my hair comes now out tangly when I used to get soft, fluffy hair with my HE. Now I lose a lot of hair trying to detangle and my hair dries hard. Since I co-wash daily, can you imagine the amount of hairs I've lost?

I've stopped washing with OCT and started applying it on my scalp daily but my hair just seems to be soaking up its protein and getting worse. PLEASE HELP!

I'd suggest a good clarifying, and nightly baggying, maybe for a week, to try to get your moisture level back up.

You HAVE to increase your moisture habits when you start using OCT or MT - whether just on your scalp, or on your hair, as well.

The Cream Rinse is a good option, and works well with the OCT.

I cut my OCT with Castor oil---maybe adding other moisturizing things to it will help.

Also--try every-other-day and evaluate ur hair after a week or so

Oh my Goodness I was just asking about this. Becuase it is Keratin , the strongest protein there is! Do not clarify as that will further dry out and tangle already dry tangled hair, I would pour oil over my head litteraly and leave it on! after getting that stuff out my hair and a deep MOISUTURIZING conditoner!

and ditch that stuff , you cant add more protein at all once you have protein overload :nono:

Thanks for responding quickly, ladies.

I've tried some of your suggestions.
-- Clarifying: I did that and followed up with 1hr DC. That didn't help much.
-- Mix w/ castor oil: My OCT is mixed with castor oil but the problem is still there.
-- I just started using OCT every other day.

I hate nightly baggying but it looks like my situtation has come down to soaking my hair up for the night. Oh boy!

I really want to find a Moisturizing leave-in. My current one has protein in it.

[gasp] DITCH OCT? What u talking abt, girl? :grin:

I hear u tho. Clarifying made my hair more tangled.

Thanks for the suggestion to drench my hair in oil. I'll baggy overnight with a mix of coconut oil and olive oil.

Know any good leave-ins?
Oh my Goodness I was just asking about this. Becuase it is Keratin , the strongest protein there is! Do not clarify as that will further dry out and tangle already dry tangled hair, I would pour oil over my head litteraly and leave it on! after getting that stuff out my hair and a deep MOISUTURIZING conditoner!

and ditch that stuff , you cant add more protein at all once you have protein overload :nono:

Thanks for responding quickly, ladies.

I've tried some of your suggestions.
-- Clarifying: I did that and followed up with 1hr DC. That didn't help much.
-- Mix w/ castor oil: My OCT is mixed with castor oil but the problem is still there.
-- I just started using OCT every other day.

I hate nightly baggying but it looks like my situtation has come down to soaking my hair up for the night. Oh boy!

I really want to find a Moisturizing leave-in. My current one has protein in it.

which leave in are you using? because yeah your gonna have to ditch it! IMO you have to kill all protein, and get moisture everyday! it might be a while before you hair returns to normal but it can. I f'd my hair up with leaving in ORS OORP and it felt horrible but over time and with care it got better! I say Oils and Moisture constantly will bring your hair back, its probably gonna take time and you might lose more before it gets better :nono:

Sorry

[gasp] DITCH OCT? What u talking abt, girl? :grin:

I hear u tho. Clarifying made my hair more tangled.

Thanks for the suggestion to drench my hair in oil. I'll baggy overnight with a mix of coconut oil and olive oil.

Know any good leave-ins?

Well I dont have any real good suggestions because I use mostly oil/butter and water (after a rinse) and my leave ins would not be good for you right now, such as motions silk protein (one of the softer proteins) you are not allowed to use ANY proteins right now, also QP mango butter :nono: thats drying too, the only other thing I will use from time to time is Elasta QP Recovery, you could try that I dont believe there is any protein in it!

keep up with the overnight oils! :yep:

yeah no more OTC! :whip:

It's sad but I agree with you. I just freaking got my hair back from ODing on protein. I lost more than 3 inches and it took about 6months to get my hair feeling better. ARGH!

My current leave-in is Salerm 21 B5 and I love it to death but now I know I have to give it up because its main ingredient is Silk protein.

which leave in are you using? because yeah your gonna have to ditch it! IMO you have to kill all protein, and get moisture everyday! it might be a while before you hair returns to normal but it can. I f'd my hair up with leaving in ORS OORP and it felt horrible but over time and with care it got better! I say Oils and Moisture constantly will bring your hair back, its probably gonna take time and you might lose more before it gets better :nono:

Sorry

It's sad but I agree with you. I just freaking got my hair back from ODing on protein. I lost more than 3 inches and it took about 6months to get my hair feeling better. ARGH!

My current leave-in is Salerm 21 B5 and I love it to death but now I know I have to give it up because its main ingredient is Silk protein.
yeah when it happened to me that bad it took months too! I didnt lose length but my hair looked horrible and felt it too, it was hard and kinda clumpy, hard to explain. I dont think I had to cut or lost much because after that I only wore my hair up and with moisture and didnt wear it out for months! That whole time I didnt know what was going to happen with it then one day it was just better and it was okay :clap:

yeah you have to steer clear of all proteins for a while! your hair has already got it all in there!

I wouldn't use the OCT for a while..I wouldn't ditch it though..that stuff is too expensive and will work if you use it correctly.

Why don't you try a mixture of Coconut Milk with some EVOO and leave it in as a DC with heat. Get the Thai brand...it's creamy and rich and makes my hair soooo soft when I mix it with EVOO.

Moisterize, moisterize, moisterize. Elucence MB conditioner is great as a leave in...makes the hair soft while moisterizing it. I wouldn't wash for awhile...just do CW's with a moisterizing conditioner...making sure that the conditioner doesn't have ANY protein in it at all. Make sure you seal your hair with a light oil after you do.

I think after awhile, your hair will come back and then you can start over again. Just next time, don't do washes with OCT...just a small amount on the scalp but first moisterizing or oiling the scalp first before using.

I hope everything works out for you. I do feel your frustration.

Blessings.

:hug2: Awwwww...thank you so much Nice & Wavy. That was some great advice. I will stay clear of proteins and stick to co-washing with Herbal Essence.

I'll give Elucence MB a try. Thanks so much sweetie.

I'd suggest a good clarifying, and nightly baggying, maybe for a week, to try to get your moisture level back up.

You HAVE to increase your moisture habits when you start using OCT or MT - whether just on your scalp, or on your hair, as well.

The Cream Rinse is a good option, and works well with the OCT.

deep condition? or three?

ITA with both these posts. Clarifying at least once every 3 weeks to a month especially if you are co-washing so often. You can't go wrong with moisturizing deep conditioning at least 2-3 times a week either. Moisturize your ends daily selaed with an oil.

:hug2: Awwwww...thank you so much Nice & Wavy. That was some great advice. I will stay clear of proteins and stick to co-washing with Herbal Essence.

I'll give Elucence MB a try. Thanks so much sweetie.

I use the OCT every other day on my scalp and at least twice a week when I co wash. but i guess i double cowash because after I let the oct sit in for 3-5 min like they suggest, i immediately follow up with a moisturizing conditioner which i dont rinse all the way out or add some more in after i rinse (as my leave in) and i havent had a problem at all with dryness or protein overload.

My hair did a complete moisturization 180 when I started using conditioners that have low/no cones for my DC's with heat. Giovanni's conditioners have been my staples now and the only conditioners I dc with. Maybe something similar may help because then the moisture can actually reach the hair shaft without the coating of silicone which just coats it and adds slip... You can put on your regular HE conditioner as a last step for slip when you rinse out your DC...

Also I find that adding a little conditioner back into my hair - or not rinsing it all the way out - works WONDERS for my hair. I usually use Organix for that (low in cones) and occassionally HE. You may need to clarify or just use a gentle shampoo every few weeks if you do this, but since you're cowashing it would be a good idea to be doing this anyways as Aggie said.:yep:

Try Pantene Oil moisturizing cream. I love this because I have dry hair and it'll keep my hair soft and moisturize. i use a dab of it on my daughters hair as well.

See, I was doing the same but I think my slip-up was that I continued to use other protein products. I DCed with ORS Mayo sometimes and my leave-in was always Salerm 21 B5 which is famous for its silk protein. :sad:

I'm so sad. I co-washed today and I realize I have to pay close attention to how products make my hair feel - for me that shows whether the product is a protein or moisturizer. I ended up using 3 products in the shower because the first two that claimed to be SUPER moisturizing made my hair hard. That indicated to me that those 2 products had too much protein for the current state of my hair. I finally had to return to my HE None of Your Frizziness. It worked like a charm - great slip too. But when I washed it off, even leaving some in, my hair was hard, clumped together & tangled. :cry3:

I'll have to do what you say Aggie! DCing 2-3 times/week it is!

Thanks ladies.

Anyone know where I can buy Elucence MB? Sally's maybe?

I use the OCT every other day on my scalp and at least twice a week when I co wash. but i guess i double cowash because after I let the oct sit in for 3-5 min like they suggest, i immediately follow up with a moisturizing conditioner which i dont rinse all the way out or add some more in after i rinse (as my leave in) and i havent had a problem at all with dryness or protein overload.

My hair did a complete moisturization 180 when I started using conditioners that have low/no cones for my DC's with heat. Giovanni's conditioners have been my staples now and the only conditioners I dc with. Maybe something similar may help because then the moisture can actually reach the hair shaft without the coating of silicone which just coats it and adds slip... You can put on your regular HE conditioner as a last step for slip when you rinse out your DC...

Also I find that adding a little conditioner back into my hair - or not rinsing it all the way out - works WONDERS for my hair. I usually use Organix for that (low in cones) and occassionally HE. You may need to clarify or just use a gentle shampoo every few weeks if you do this, but since you're cowashing it would be a good idea to be doing this anyways as Aggie said.:yep:

Hmm, great idea. When I joined LHCF i always used Giovanni's leave-in. It worked great. I wonder why I stopped. :ohwell:

Honeyvibe- I've tried Pantene's moisturizer in the past and sadly, it did not work for me.

Thanks, hon!

NP, I've never used the leave in actually, but their actual conditioners have been so amazing for me, words can't describe. I mean I'm literally to the point where moisturizing my hair is an OPTION... And only on an "as needed" basis. I swear it has to do with the low cones. But when I co-wash and do my twist outs and stuff I like cone-y conditioners (HE and Organix) plus I use cone based serums, but that's after I know my hair has been properly moisturized. Makes all the difference in the world.:yep:

I wouldn't use the OCT for a while..I wouldn't ditch it though..that stuff is too expensive and will work if you use it correctly.

Why don't you try a mixture of Coconut Milk with some EVOO and leave it in as a DC with heat. Get the Thai brand...it's creamy and rich and makes my hair soooo soft when I mix it with EVOO.

Moisterize, moisterize, moisterize. Elucence MB conditioner is great as a leave in...makes the hair soft while moisterizing it. I wouldn't wash for awhile...just do CW's with a moisterizing conditioner...making sure that the conditioner doesn't have ANY protein in it at all. Make sure you seal your hair with a light oil after you do.

I think after awhile, your hair will come back and then you can start over again. Just next time, don't do washes with OCT...just a small amount on the scalp but first moisterizing or oiling the scalp first before using.

I hope everything works out for you. I do feel your frustration.

Blessings.

yeah I wouldn't leave it alone all together. Once you get your moisturization back on track, i would only use it on the scalp not on the full length in the shower. now i only dc once a week, for 30 min-hour but other ladies have had to step it up to twice a week. and like foxie roxie suggested maybe theres some cone issue with the blocking of the moisture. im sorry sugar, hopefully you'll find the right mix.

See, I was doing the same but I think my slip-up was that I continued to use other protein products. I DCed with ORS Mayo sometimes and my leave-in was always Salerm 21 B5 which is famous for its silk protein. :sad:

I'm so sad. I co-washed today and I realize I have to pay close attention to how products make my hair feel - for me that shows whether the product is a protein or moisturizer. I ended up using 3 products in the shower because the first two that claimed to be SUPER moisturizing made my hair hard. That indicated to me that those 2 products had too much protein for the current state of my hair. I finally had to return to my HE None of Your Frizziness. It worked like a charm - great slip too. But when I washed it off, even leaving some in, my hair was hard, clumped together & tangled. :cry3:

I'll have to do what you say Aggie! DCing 2-3 times/week it is!

Thanks ladies.

Anyone know where I can buy Elucence MB? Sally's maybe?
Truthfully no matter what you do it might take a while! are you using any oils?

:grouphug: Thanks so much guys!!!! I appreciate all the helpful information.

Iris: Yes, i've been using olive oil a lot - to seal my moisturizer and to baggy overnight.

I know it's going to take a while to get back on track, but thank God for patience. I've been here before so I know it'll get better in the months to come. I'm not expecting any overnight miracles. I just want products that won't make it worse.

Foxie - I just PMed you.

Back