NYT Article: The Disturbing Truth About Hair Relaxers

yamilee21

It’s too long to copy and paste, but I have provided a gift link to get through the paywall. Basically, black women doctors/scientists have done research showing that there may be real health risks related to regular usage of relaxers - not just hair and scalp damage, but cancers. It’s not hair products in general, but specifically hair products marketed to black women/afro-textured hair, because the differences in disease rates point to relaxers.

Anyway, it’s a very interesting article, worth the read, and shows that no one is going to look out for us, so we need to be positioned to do it ourselves.

I wish these studies would name what the endocrine disrupting chemicals are. And as far as I know formaldehyde & its derivatives are used in the Brazilian keratin/amino treatments & not relaxers. Relaxers use lye & no-lye chemicals and perms use thio. I used to use the old school hair grease as a kid and that was petroleum and maybe some olive oil at the bottom of the list. I don’t know what the shampoos or conditioners I used as a kid had in them. I got my first relaxer at 12 and it burned my scalp but I was just happy to have straight hair :confused:

Back