NYC Ladies and Natural Hair: Where is it most common?

Which section of the city is natural hair more common?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Generally, the more affluent the NYC neighborhood, and the closer the proximity to universities (especially our prestigious ones ie. Columbia NYU) the denser the natural population.

I agree with this :yep:.

I live in Queens and don't see many natural women (I sometimes see older women with TWAs or people with locs, but that's it).

My vote is for manhattan at large. But mainly because that's where I live and spend most of my time. Loads in harlem and upper manhattan, and loads downtown too.

Lol I grew up in the Bronx around chewed hair and weaves and nothings changed (but there's still a good number of naturals mixed in), I barely go to queens so I don't know but id say the Bronx has the least natural out of the other boroughs. Harlem and Brooklyn have the most (imo).

Eta: I'm mad staten island is even on this poll:lachen:

LMAO I was about to not put it but I figured, someone's gotta represent, right? :grin::lachen:

I use to be one of those addicted to the perms, Keratin and blow dryers. I found the answer to obtain the straight look without the chemicals and the heat. My hair products are all lotion and potions to give you the straight look or loosen up the curls without mistreating the hair.The product i use is made with all natural ingredients and vitamins. Mybaute is the ultimate Italian hair treatment that works wonderfull on black hair leaving the curls soft and managable specially for those hot summers in the City.

OK. I get more of what you mean now. I don't get that feeling anywhere but I see what you're saying as for as the history thing. I still think it's the areas. I find Spanish people near me to be very welcoming if that's the right word. I see a few funny style ones but overall I don't see a big clash between blacks and hispanics out here. I definitely can't relate to the comfortable being black thing. Do you mind pming where that is so that I never go there? lol.

Well I will say Pelham Bay in particular is NOT a Black friendly place in the Bronx one of my best friends live there (non black) and the looks I got walking around her neighborhood were ridiculous! Other than there there aren't many specific other places where I feel extremely uncomfortable but in general compared to other places in the city, even downtown Manhattan, the Bronx just makes me feel like "we'll tolerate you because you also live here, but just know we're not big fans of YOUR kind". If you even look at the politics of the Bronx, people flipped a sh*t at the idea of a Black man being head of the Democratic party. I know it's a predominately Hispanic borough, but Black people are the second largest group and for most of the time, I feel like we're invisible and not respected. :nono:

I am of mix race Dominican and Haitian. I use to relax my hair all the time. Since you are a hair dresser trust me i have the ultimate hair product all natural this product was formulated for tropical hair,coarse, thin. I decided to sell this product because my hair fell out due to a Keratin treatment. A Dominican hair dresser told me about this and to make a story short now I supply her and many beauty shops thru out the City,Bronx,Brooklyn and many other states. I would love for African american females to try this magical product that really promotes healthy hair without the harsh toxins out there. I have many friends that use to wear weaves,wigs and extensions that are so please wearing their natural hair that looks nourished and long. They also have the option to wear it curly or straight when they blow dry it without chemicals. My whole goal is to get every women color to have long hair and feel more gorgeous than what god made us.

I am going to say Brooklyn, but I lived in Fort Greene, and that general area tend to be a mix of artsy, educated natural hair loving buppies. I am sure other areas of BK aren't the same. I RARELY see natural hair in the BX, now I see a sprinkling but not in large numbers. Manhattan comes in 2nd place for me, I don't know about Queens (don't really go to Queens).

I only know Fort Green, BK and that is the birthplace of Carol's daughter and Karen's Body Beautiful so you know its nautral hair heaven over there!!

I am of mix race Dominican and Haitian. I use to relax my hair all the time. Since you are a hair dresser trust me i have the ultimate hair product all natural this product was formulated for tropical hair,coarse, thin. I decided to sell this product because my hair fell out due to a Keratin treatment. A Dominican hair dresser told me about this and to make a story short now I supply her and many beauty shops thru out the City,Bronx,Brooklyn and many other states. I would love for African american females to try this magical product that really promotes healthy hair without the harsh toxins out there. I have many friends that use to wear weaves,wigs and extensions that are so please wearing their natural hair that looks nourished and long. They also have the option to wear it curly or straight when they blow dry it without chemicals. My whole goal is to get every women color to have long hair and feel more gorgeous than what god made us.

Tell us more!! I love magical products!! :yep:

Nowhere. I've seen it in all boroughs, not just one area. Long island also, there are plenty out there.

I'm in Midtown and I feel like I'm always secretly oohing and ahhing over someone's natural hair/style. I see a lot of naturals in the Village. But in my experience, the medal goes to Brooklyn for sure.

Hey now! Play nice lol. I live on Staten Island and no the naturals aren't out here.

Also lived in Long Island City and there's hardly any naturals out there.

AYE AYE AYEEEEE!!!!!!....Im here:sad: and apparently I dun started a natural hair movement :lachen:...we are coming meng!!!!! Alot of chicks out here call me up for nappy hair advice and such, they even have me thinking about becoming a kitchen beautician since there is no natural salon out here...they're BCing left and right, got tha brotha's mad :lachen:...its mainly amoungst the young college chicks though...I can now say that ALL of my close HS friends are natural now, and they live out here too...

But to answer the question, I see more nappy heads in BK and Manhattan...the thing is, im an artist and tend to hang around with other "artsy and eccentric" people, and they are definately coming to Manhattan and BK from the other boroughs...

Last edited:
What do you mean by this?
First, when I say "hairboards" I mean LHCF because I don't frequent naturallycurly that often and haven't been on nappturality in years. I'm also referring to the hair blogs and YTers that LHCF tends to gravitate towards.

Here on LHCF, you have your twists, defined braidouts, twistouts, twist-n-curl-outs, bantu-knot outs, wash-n-go's and shinglings and puffs with emphasis on curl definition, etc. In my area, I see all that along with shrunken fros, chunky fros with tufts of napps, fuzzy, undefined braidouts and twistouts, 3 inch-long, stick-up box braids, locs, etc. There's a varied aesthetic/sensibility. And it's not just reflective of some being more artsy, creative, edgy; it's also reflective of less concern for curl, coil, wave or pattern definition.

Of course, the fact this is the Long Hair Care Forum means thst length retention is also a factor in style choice. But it does seem that we on LHCF orient ourselves and our styling choices around some image of the protypical natural, while those in my area of BK veer away from that a bit more or have different concepts of the protypical natural.

Here are some examples from lecoil (great website for NYC natural hair inspiration):
tumblr_l5j73yokyf1qzwa7qo1_500.jpg

tumblr_kxop12oT4p1qzwa7qo1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_kw5qr7u4151qzwa7qo1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_kpepvwMVE31qzwa7qo1_r3_500.jpg

HqaiGeBjOmhygbcctEBM13z8o1_500.jpg

^^I understand what you're saying. I find on the hairboards many nautrals want length and do healthy PSs to acheive that. On the street how every, more people seem to put more emphasis on style hense the different hair styles. I like some of the styles I see out and about but I wouldn't do them often..too much manipulation

I'm natural and from the Bronx. I would say on average I see about 20% natural, 30% relaxed, 30% weaves/wigs, 20% really bad weaves/wigs. I have noticed more natural heads lately.

@lala89, I'm in Yonkers.

D-Block Stand up! I lived in Yonkers for 8 years and I will say that's definitely true that it hasn't caught on much up there.

How about some insight from ladies in the NYC suburban areas like Westchester, Rockland, Orange counties, Northern NJ, Long Island and Southern Connecticut how are naturals looking out there?:yep:

First, when I say "hairboards" I mean LHCF because I don't frequent naturallycurly that often and haven't been on nappturality in years. I'm also referring to the hair blogs and YTers that LHCF tends to gravitate towards.

Here on LHCF, you have your twists, defined braidouts, twistouts, twist-n-curl-outs, bantu-knot outs, wash-n-go's and shinglings and puffs with emphasis on curl definition, etc. In my area, I see all that along with shrunken fros, chunky fros with tufts of napps, fuzzy, undefined braidouts and twistouts, 3 inch-long, stick-up box braids, locs, etc. There's a varied aesthetic/sensibility. And it's not just reflective of some being more artsy, creative, edgy; it's also reflective of less concern for curl, coil, wave or pattern definition.

Of course, the fact this is the Long Hair Care Forum means thst length retention is also a factor in style choice. But it does seem that we on LHCF orient ourselves and our styling choices around some image of the protypical natural, while those in my area of BK veer away from that a bit more or have different concepts of the protypical natural.

Here are some examples from lecoil (great website for NYC natural hair inspiration):
tumblr_l5j73yokyf1qzwa7qo1_500.jpg

I knew exactly what you meant even before this explanation :lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

It depends on the area. I see more naturals further up in the Bronx. I see them all over Brooklyn and Manhattan though. I don't frequent Queens and Staten Island too much so I can't speak for those areas.

Don't come to staten island looking for naturals, you will be disappointed. The only one that comes to mind is my best friends mother, and she technically lives in Brooklyn.

Back