NY Ladies - 2 strand flat twists???

KinksnCurlz

Okay, i was supposed to get my hair braided this wkend. I was informed that 2 spots (on in the Bronx, and one in Harlem) did indeed do the flat twists... well, i get up early as crack to head down to the salon... long story short, i waited for 30 mins just to find out they they don't DO 2 strand flat twists (my mistake, i originally asked for flat twists).
Now my question to you is this... WHERE can i go to get this style and how much is it? The guy at Billy Jeans told me that's the 'old school way' (no ishh sherlock) :D

TIA

Hey Girl!!!

Sorry I do not have a response for you. I am looking for the same thing!!! You are talking about the 2 strand twists that go back along the scalp like cornrows? The style with the front twisted and the back out??? Yeah it's ole school but who cares?

I want my front twisted to help tame my new growth. So I can get my workout on in the gym and not have to worry about my hair.

The one place I know that does it is in Freehold, NJ. Pretty far if one does not have a car. But let me know if you want the address.

I may be sending you a PM later today!

FINALLY ! a live person :rofl:

I got this from some website:

Flat twists are essentially cornrows, but using 2 strands of hair instead of 3.
Part your hair using a rat tail comb or something to make the parts sharp.
Separate section into 2 strands at the hairline.
Wind one strand over the other like a rope, picking up hair as you move down the section.
Secure with a bobbypin placed parallel and underneath the twist.

This is what i want... and i wand the back in... of course... a bun :)

CH, I just KNOW you can do these yourself. LOL!! Unless, of course, you're adding additional hair. Practice on your baby. They make great looking twist-outs.

OH that’s sounds nice!!! If my head wasn’t so big I would get em too! :D

Try a black salon. I have had the two strand flat twist done before, but not into a bun. They put me under the dryer, and when my hair dried she pulled out the twist for a twist out. That salon is in the Bronx on Gun Hill Road by the #5 train. I can get you the exact address if you need it. They should be able to do it into a bun.

:shocked: CH i read your thread yesterday, but im not in NY, so i dont have a clue. im wearing this hairstyle right now (flat twists with a bun), and im in disbelief that in all of NY nobody knows a person that does this "old school" style. i didnt even know it was "old school" :lol: . i just think it's cute and easier and quicker to take out and put in than braids.

good luck girly!

Are you saying that the guy (who I can't stand btw) at Billie Jeans told you they don't do flat twists? I saw them do on 5 people while I was there getting my hair braided. .... oh wait two strand flat twists... hmmm I actually don't think I saw that being done, did you talk to the actual owner?She would have gotten someone there to do it. He probably just didn't know what to charge you. As a matter of fact when I was there one of the braiders had cornrows leading into the strand twists. So someone there should know how to do it. What about the place in the Bronx?

@ CBG - the place in the bronx didn't know how to do it...
the guy who answered at bj's was like that's ole school... we dont have anybody to do that.

@ GMMP - girl i tried, for like 45 mins, to do it and i couldn't. It looked like hot ishh on a platter :rofl: I'm going to try it on my daughter (good idea, thanks :kiss: ). I'll post pics if i like it... oops, i mean, if SHE likes it... LOL

@ Foxy - please give me the addie... even tho i think i know what salon ur talking about. It looks a little 'old' in there and it's by the discount store..right next to the #28 bus stop...across the street from the library... ??? LOLOL

I know which one you are talking about, but its not that one. LOL@ old looking. It’s one alllll the way down gun hill road. Its RIGHT near the McDonald’s (the mcdonald’s across the street from the bowling alley). There is a #28 bus stop in front of it…and it’s next door to chinese restaurant, and a TINY pet store. I will find out the address. Give me a little time (I haven’t been there in a long while, so I don’t even remember the name).

Back